Old 05-14-2014, 10:38   #1
Lothrigen
Asset

Mentorship

I am relatively new to the PS forums and I've seen a couple of QP's offering Mentorship in the past. My question is are there any current Active Duty 5th Group QP's (or ex QP's in the area) willing to mentor me as I prepare for SFAS in August. I am currently at Fort Campbell obviously and have the hunger and desire for the 18 CMF. If this thread is not warranted or is wrong in any way please delete it and/or move it.

Thank You for your time.

Last edited by Lothrigen; 05-14-2014 at 11:23.
Lothrigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I am not sure where this mentorship business started.

We are looking for people able to operate autonomously in ambiguous situations.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=25100

Maybe this is generational, but very few SF guys I know required mentorship or hand holding. They found a way and got it done with a minimum of fanfare.

There is a plethora of helpful information here, more than needed, actually, and certainly more than was available back in the old days before the internet, and yet, people still completed SFAS and the SFQC. I recommend searching and reading, I think you will find pretty much any question you might have is already answered on this site. Starting new threads should be a very rare occasion. We are looking for self-starters.

Best of luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 13:12   #3
Lothrigen
Asset

Roger That.
Old 05-17-2014, 21:09   #4
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

This was the mentorship I received, "Fuck up and I will put a boot up your ass."
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:14   #5
Lothrigen
Asset

Duly noted, I've found someone who will mentor me here at Campbell. I appreciate all the kind words and advice. I am a self starter and self motivator, but it never hurts to have someone who has been there and done it to help steer me in the right direction in all that I do.
Old 10-23-2014, 21:29   #6
conco303
Asset

Now that I have read this I understand. You guys don't like questions, you like guys who find the answer. Well, luckily I have been good at that my whole life. But I do have a final question...Are any questions from newcomers appropriate? I know what I have read, but maybe certain confusing points can be explained?
conco303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 22:06   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

on your first day of posting you did 7 post. Today another load of post. you have 19 total post.

I would highly recommend that you read more and post less. You have a lot to learn and absorb.

Every time you have a thought you do not need to post it. Also check the attitude. you have not even been tested yet so look at the 10m tgt. get into the army and see if you can make it through basic, then AIT etc etc etc.... It is a long line of test up to the day you retire.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 23:29   #8
conco303
Asset

I have made 20 posts in 20 days. I guess that is a lot, considering this platform. I'll sign back off for another couple weeks. Most forums are very different in comparison to this one, but I remember reading on here that "your reputation begins growing in the SF community the moment you declare interest". I don't want to piss anybody off.
conco303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:26   #9
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by conco303 View Post
I have made 20 posts in 20 days. I guess that is a lot, considering this platform. I'll sign back off for another couple weeks. Most forums are very different in comparison to this one, but I remember reading on here that "your reputation begins growing in the SF community the moment you declare interest". I don't want to piss anybody off.
On 10-11-14 your intro day you posted 7 times (Intro day!!!)

On 10-12-14 you posted 1 time

Yesterday you posted 11 times (Busy day)

Today you have posted 3 times

Well that is 4 days of posting and a lot of questions/comments. My comment was posted to try to focus you on absorbing the wealth of info that an aspiring candidate may find here in preparation for attempting the selection process and course.

And yes we are proud to not be like other boards. We are a group of Professionals with years of experience not a bunch of kid's sitting in a basement or college dorm chatting on the internet about things that they have not done.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:19   #10
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothrigen View Post
Duly noted, I've found someone who will mentor me here at Campbell. I appreciate all the kind words and advice. I am a self starter and self motivator, but it never hurts to have someone who has been there and done it to help steer me in the right direction in all that I do.
Like TR said, we're looking for people who don't need a "guide" ... because at the crucial moment they're not there to guide you, and you waste time thinking 'what would my guide do' when you need to be thinking here is what I'm going to do. That doesn't mean that you don't search out information or stop assessing that information; quite the opposite -- but there is a difference.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:20   #11
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

The amount of useful information contained on this site is staggering. Advice, experiences, advice, lists, advice and links to other resources.

Isn't that mentoring?

I can't even imagine going through the process with a resource like this available. Probably would have just thrown my jockstrap on the field and done a victory lap.

LHC