Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 11-08-2011, 19:08   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

Place to live close to Ft Sam Houston

Any of you have great suggestion for a safe place closes to base? Or better yet, got a room to rent near Ft Sam? I'll bring in plenty of accumulated marksmanship knowledge...and tools .

I've been perusing military boards with Q&A for suggestion....as well as this thread:
http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...ht=san+antonio

I benefited greatly when I heeded QP advice in moving to the new AO...as in Fatalville So I'm all ears again

Thank you in advance

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:06   #2
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Converse was a nice place to live a few years back. Just a little outside of town (15 minutes or so from the new BAMC). It has been quite awhile so my info could be somewhat dated.

If it is just you, the "apartment dwelling community" is HUGE there. Lots of flags flittering in the breeze with free cookies and incentives for any number of HUNDREDS of apartment complexes. Definitely a lot of potential to find a decent GATED apartment community on whatever budget you are working with.

Couple things about Ft. Sam if you have never lived there. A few things are somewhat crucial.

1. A GOOD car alarm with starter kill. If you have a 4WD truck or a sports car, you need an EXCEPTIONAL car alarm.

2. GOOD window tint - -it will decrease the temp in your car by up to 30 degrees. Even while driving.

3. Polarized sunglasses. (Odd yes?) Loop 410 (the main road around San Antonio which brings much death, mayhem, traffic, and trauma is that "white concrete" color. When this road gets the SLIGHTEST BIT WET, and then the sun comes out - you may as well be looking at sun shining off of snow. The glare is unbelievable. Polarized shades help significantly with this.

The farther out you live, the cheaper (and less congested) things get. New Braunfels and the Texas Hill Country are beautiful, easy living, and inexpensive - albeit about 45 minutes away.

Good luck - HTH

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59   #3
Santo Tomas
Guerrilla

SATX

Recommend to stay away from the I-35 corridor. Mornings and evenings are terrible with traffic. Although many people live in New Braunfels area. The areas around FSH are hit and miss.

Stone Oak seems to be the hot place to live now. About 25 minutes depending on traffic and where in Stone Oak you live.
Old 11-09-2011, 13:26   #4
MiTTMedic
Guerrilla

Check anywhere in the 78244 zip code. Relatively quiet. Lower cost. I work downtown & can get there in 15-20 minutes. Ft. Sam in half that time. Traffic from anywhere north of FSH is bad, and getting worse.
If I had a room, we could talk, but I don't :-)
Old 11-10-2011, 14:41   #5
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up True, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Tomas View Post
Recommend to stay away from the I-35 corridor. Mornings and evenings are terrible with traffic. Although many people live in New Braunfels area. The areas around FSH are hit and miss.

Stone Oak seems to be the hot place to live now. About 25 minutes depending on traffic and where in Stone Oak you live.

True, however....if you're looking towards the future, someday DOT will finish all of the highway construction. I live in Schertz (north on I-35, west of Converse and Cibolo). I leave home for Fort Sam at 0615-ish and arrive about 25 minutes later no sweat.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:03   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

these are priceless advices. Thanks so much and keep 'em coming. I'm sharing them with coworkers who don't know anyone in TX.

My old car won't turn heads, but I will sure put a tint on the windows. No rules by TX DOT on that? I never cruise with AC on even in the midsummer (gas mileage cheapskates), but I'll take any low tech solution to cooling.

I've been perusing this online resource: http://www.ahrn.com/

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote