Old 05-24-2011, 20:18   #46
Ewok
Asset

Thank You

Thank you! I had searched the web trying to find that very type of information and came up empty handed. That will be bookmarked and checked frequently. I sincerely appreciate the link.

E
Old 10-23-2011, 13:14   #47
Flame Magnet
SF Candidate

PCSing Soon

Wondering if anyone at Bragg now would recommend a good place to stay for a single Staff Sergeant. I already applied to Randolph Point on post, but that isn't guaranteed, so I would like other options. Any place close to post, and somewhere where I don't have to worry about wearing the wrong colors is preferred. Thanks.

General George S. Patton:
Flame Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 13:57   #48
HQ6
Guerrilla

Jamestown Commons is right outside the Yadkin gate, reasonable, and safe if you want an apartment. There are lots of 3 bedroom ranch homes for rent close to the Yadkin and Reilly gates if you want a home rather than an apartment. They have rebuilt a lot in Cottonade. If you decide to do a house, get with a property management company or realtor rather than doing it through an individual.

Just my .02
Old 11-16-2011, 10:09   #49
bigtime1158
FTFSI

I will heading to the Q in the January timeframe. I was wondering if anyone else out there needs a roomate for a few months. I am a married e-6 but I can't sell my house and my wife will be staying back for a while until I can get it rented out. I dont have alot of belongings, pretty much just a laptop and clothes. Most of my time is spent doing PT. If anyone is interested send me a pm please.
bigtime1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 17:36   #50
preblake
SF Candidate

Housing for the Q

I just started the post-selection portion of the pipeline. (I am in CLT hold.) After receiving input from multiple members of my Company that are currently in the Q, I rented a one bedroom in King's Pointe apartment. It is a gated community with many benefits. (A glance at the web page will tell most of the story.) Here is what I can tell you that is not on the web. It is close to the Yadkin gate. (In two weeks, the longest it has taken me from front door to formation is 20 min. On most days, it takes me ~10 min.) One of the girls that works in the office has a husband currently in the pipeline; therefore, they take good care of me. There are multple soldier/neighbors that are currently in the pipeline. For the area surrounding Ft. Bragg, it is relatively safe. (One neighbor, a retired ODA commander w/ 7th SFG, has been here for nine years, and there have been two unsuccessful break-in attempts for his building in that timeframe.) For the area, it is not inexpensive.
If you like what you see on the web and decide to rent, mention me (860-810-6706). They will give me a $100 referral fee. If I am not busy w/ training, I will use it to buy you dinner, and we can talk about the complex, area and pipeline.
preblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 14:27   #51
chester
SF Candidate

We are looking at the area outside of the Honeycutt gate, in the specific area shown on the map I have attached. This school district has excellent services for our special needs child so if it is a safe area it would be ideal for us. Any opinions on this area?

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HHallElem.pdf (137.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by chester; 01-16-2012 at 14:33. Reason: Fixed picture
chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04   #52
Pete
Quiet Professional

Safe?

Safe? That all depends on what you consider safe.

The whole area is mostly single family residential.

The area around Honeycutt and McArthur Road is known as Eureka Springs. Peadens Seafood is located there. Pretty good food. The area was a hot little place for troops in the 50's and 60's. Gone down hill with a lot of low end rentals now.

Andrews Road - The first subdivision coming from Bragg on the North side is College Downs. A 1970's subdivision of small-mid size ranch homes. Lots of rentals. Your experience there would depend on your neighbors. The rest of the subdivisions are pretty up scale - with a rental here and there.

The rest of the area is also a mix of older and newer subdivisions.

King's Grant Condos (Bubble Creek) is a large condo development and has a large number of rentals.

For crime go to the Fay PD Link then Crime Info. The mapping feature is still down so you'll have to hunt and peck through the other search.

Printing out the Patrol Zones will help with a larger search.

http://www.bethebadge.com/
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:39   #53
69stang
SF Candidate

Moving soon...ish

Hello,
My wife and I will be moving down to the Bragg area here in the next few months. We've begun our housing hunt now. I'm NG and have never done a pcs move before so this is all pretty new to me.

We don't have any little ones currently so the school districts aren't really a concern at this point. We're looking to rent and possibly in neighborhoods with other families going through the Q. I see that many people recommend pretty much anywhere except Fayetteville. Are there communities of SF students in these other places that my wife and I could link up with? We will be conducting a recon of sorts next month to find a place and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not a real good shot, but this gun uses really big bullets
-Hellboy
69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 23:36   #54
Jackofspades
SF Candidate

In the middle of my PCS to bragg

I heard from the classic old rumor mill after selection that single E5's may now live off post during the 'Q'. anybody know if there's any truth to this?
Jackofspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 17:29   #55
mhaggs
SF Candidate

E5 Off-Post

Just read your post, I know this is about a month late but if you haven't already found out, single E5's are not currently allowed to live off-post. If you are already here I assume you know this by now but if your not a heads up is always good.

Good luck in the course!
mhaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11   #56
njmiller26
Asset

Moving to Ft. Bragg Area

I was just Selected and will be moving to Ft. Bragg. I think I will be at Ft. Benning for 6 months to attend the CCC first, but when I get to Ft. Bragg where should i live. I am interested in buying, but open to renting. I am married with no kids yet. I have heard that Southern Pines is the place to buy. Just looking for any guidance out there. Thanks!
njmiller26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39   #57
HQ6
Guerrilla

Southern Pines is pretty and quiet especially compared to Fayetteville, but it can be a trek as it is distance from both Raleigh and Fayetteville.

Since schools aren't an issue, Raeford and Sanford are both nice. In Sanford, Andersen Creek and Carolina Lakes out that direction has some nice homes in gated communities. There are tons of new builds in Raeford, but the infrastructure is still trying to catch up out there.

In Fayetteville, Gates Four is nice. It is a drive, but not as far out as Raeford and is gated. If you want to stay more central and have an better commute to work, look at Haymount and Van Story Hills area. Kings Grant off Ramsey has decent homes, but again you are away from things.

It will really depend on your price point.

ETA: If your wife will be working, you may want to include her communte into the equation. Many guys live in Fuquay-Varina because their wives can make a better living in Cary/Raleigh.

Last edited by HQ6; 11-10-2012 at 11:42.
HQ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:46   #58
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmiller26 View Post
I was just Selected and will be moving to Ft. Bragg. I think I will be at Ft. Benning for 6 months to attend the CCC first, but when I get to Ft. Bragg where should i live. I am interested in buying, but open to renting. I am married with no kids yet. I have heard that Southern Pines is the place to buy. Just looking for any guidance out there. Thanks!
Are you looking to stay at bragg after SFQC? If not, you house you looking for a future rental/ Investment buy? If you're staying around Bragg, are kids in you two future?

Anything you or HH6 need to be close to? I.E. Post? Mall? wallmart (LOL), Dog park, Running trails/sites, roads that are biking, ETC?

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 21:51   #59
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmiller26 View Post
I have lived in Raleigh, Sanford, Fayetteville, Pinehurst and Southern Pines while working at Ft Bragg. That cover most all of the options except for Lillington, Raeford/Hoke County, Spring Lake, and Tarheel.

My commute from the Bragg side of Southern Pines to Bragg is 26 miles and takes 35 minutes, most mornings.

There is little or no traffic until I get to the Access Control Point.

I have lived as little as five miles from post in Fayetteville, and it still took me 20-30 minutes to get to work, depending on the traffic.

Moore County has lower taxes, better schools, and a lot less crime than Fayetteville/Cumberland County. Moore is primarily a conservative Republican area, and Cumberland is definitely not.

I can be in Fayetteville at Cross Creek Mall in 45 minutes, Cary in an hour, and Raleigh or Durham in 75 minutes or so. Greensboro is 90 minutes out, and that will be cut considerably when the widening of NC 211 is completed. Charlotte is around 2 hours from here. Fayetteville is 30 minutes or so closer to the beach or points east, and SP is that much closer to the mountains or points west.

There is a variety of homes for sale or rent here in Moore County from starter homes to multi- milion dollar mansions, and apartments from old to brand new.

The area sports an unusual number and type of shopping and dining opportunities due to the tourism generated by the golf courses.

Incidentally, Camp Mackall is 15-20 minutes from here.

Hope this helps.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 23:30   #60
MR2
Quiet Professional

This topic comes up every other month. We should start a new sticky for it.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote