Old 11-29-2010, 17:14   #61
Richard
Quiet Professional

Either of you guys know a LT Harke?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 17:18   #62
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
That was a ball!
I had a break in service from RVN..was an 11B and came back on active duty as an E5. Asked the recruiter where all the 11B P's could reenlist for and when he said 'Italy" I was all over it.
Back when you played hard and partied hard and it was all good. It was the NCO club at Wildflicken we were barred form because our Bn CSM (Spike) punched out another Bn CSM (Leg) and we all went at it like an old style Western! Throwin chairs doin the back to back punch everybody, what a hoot.
I had to take one of my guys to see the Bn Cmdr about weekly, Frank Kelley, then a SP4...He later went to 5th Gp as I did.
Man, that was a great assignment.
Hey PRB,

Didn't know that you and Frank K. went back so far. Knew him in 3/5.

Sounds like you guys had fun in Wildflecken. More stories! More stories!

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-21-2010 at 14:27.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 17:25   #63
PRB
Quiet Professional

Yeah, Frank K was in my squad right out of Ranger school. I swear I kept him out of jail for the next 20 years lol!.
Had another young guy too 2LT Patreus.....his nick name was Peaches because his cheeks were always rosy. It was his first assignment.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 17:28   #64
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard
Sounds real familiar Richard, he wasn't an LT of mine but it rings a bell. I had Lt. Leroy Dunn too, great guy, went on to become a Col. in SF. Probably the best Lt I ever served with and I had a ton with 10 years in the Inf prior to SF.
Old 11-29-2010, 18:09   #65
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Richard
Herman Harke?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 19:33   #66
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Herman Harke?

TR
The one and only. He was an 05B in C/2-7th SFG before OCS and posting to the 509th circa '76-'78. I knew him in the 7th and used to visit him in Vicenza from Tolz.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 20:06   #67
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I still have my first issue gortex cammy jacket like the one in the pic. That was magic gear in the day, high speed and all lol.

As I recall my first set of gortex were two sided (desert and woods)but only breathed one way. One side was water resistant and the other side sucked up water like a sponge when it rained. When we got to the Grand Orifice we were told to wear the desert side while in base camp. And then it rained...
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:57   #68
Roger
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Didn't they used to call the 5th...The Legion.........?
It was a Guest thing. He started that when we deployed on Bright Star in '83. Nobody else used it to my knowledge.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 15:37   #69
glebo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
It was a Guest thing. He started that when we deployed on Bright Star in '83. Nobody else used it to my knowledge.
And IMHO he shouldn't of started...
Old 01-09-2012, 16:57   #70
fasteddie565
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
And IMHO he shouldn't of started...
From what I have read on the Internet, Bowra used it all of the time as did Mulholland and some after him. From what I read anyway....
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 17:30   #71
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie565 View Post
From what I have read on the Internet, Bowra used it all of the time as did Mulholland and some after him. From what I read anyway....
Not just 'some' after LTG Mulholland.... its been around since then. Chief Watts was "The Voice of the Legion" for all functions, now fufilled by someone else. Motto has been Strength and Honor since I've been there.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:50   #72
sfbreed
Quiet Professional

flashback

Dave Asher was also there. B500 Tony's boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
Riding...what a concept...LOL.

When we first started the Desert Training Program (DTP) we were given a "few" mapsheets, an assload of water and directions of "go that way as best you can"....

We were always wondering....haven't these bone heads found their LRDG manuals/lessons learned shit.

I guess it finaly caught on, and they (they being B500 AKA the "GOD" squad (Guests' Operational Detachment) and the bunch started using these vehicles Fast V's and different variations of stuff or something like that. Damn things always broke the reverse gear, they were just some civilian stuff they tried to militarize.....eehhh, didn't work.

Anyone remember Dave Nicewander(sp?) RIP, he had that chevy 1/2 ton with duece 1/2 axles under it??? He also got a write-up in Army Times if I'm not mistaken...
sfbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 15:41   #73
18B30
Quiet Professional

Col. Mulholland told me "welcome to the Legion", so I figured I was in the "Legion"...
18B30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 16:56   #74
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18B30 View Post
Col. Mulholland told me "welcome to the Legion", so I figured I was in the "Legion"...
Well, you were.
As noted here it has been called the 5th Legion internally and externally for decades.