Old 11-10-2007, 23:09   #1
Indian
Asset

Eberlestock packs

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) using Eberlestock packs? Didn't find anything here in my search. I'm wondering about how well they hold up and carry various loads in mountainous terrian for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. Is the suspension and construction as good as they claim? I've included their link below:

http://www.eberlestock.com/index.html

I'm looking at several 3 day and larger packs and recently heard favorable comments regarding the "Just One", "Dragonfly" and "Phantom" from some guys out in the bush here and one returning soldier. I may get an opportunity from a local dealer to load one up and try it out. If so, I can relay the experience to anyone interested.

If my search here missed this, please direct me to the correct thread.

thanks,
bob
Old 11-11-2007, 06:32   #2
Para
Quiet Professional

Many of us are fans of Kifaru (www.kifaru.net) because they make one hell of a pack. That being said, I looked at their site. Considering that the packs are made of cordura, as opposed to the common light-weight material used in non-mil type packs, the weight appears to be comperable to that of a Kifaru. The 3,800 c.i. M3 is 8 lbs and the Kifaru ZXR, what I use, at the same capacity is 6.8 lbs. Gregory Mountain Products made a military pack that was an amazing 16+lbs.

I imagine that you are looking at this as a hiking/hunting pack. I am not so sure that these rucks would make good "universal" rucks for military use. The first problem I see is no top load access capability. This immediately chases away any commo guy who needs top access to his radio. The other drawback I see is the Backscabbard. Cool, it works for your standard bolt action rifle. This is what gives their company competitive advantage. What it is not desgned for, as stated on the website, is AR style rfles and as the Army has just adopted the SR-25 as its new sniper rifle, that presents a problem.
We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land, and air with all our might and all our strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, What is our aim? I answer in one word: Victory Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Winston Churchill
Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 00:15   #3
Indian
Asset

Thanks, this is the type of input I am looking for. Incidently, Kifaru is one of the others I am looking at. Don't know where I can get my hands on one to try in Alaska though. I'll go through the paces and try out what I can find here first before I buy the Kifaru.

By the way, how do you like the suspension of the Kifaru for long hauls when loaded?

True, I am mostly interested in hiking & hunting use, but my type of hunting has me ranging afield in some pretty harsh conditions with what I consider minimal gear and a "bulletproof" ruck is essential. 1000 denier Cordura or some equally strong material is key. Anything less is asking for trouble. I am quite willing to sacrifice empty weight for durability. I never carry a rifle in my pack and rarely on my shoulder, so that part is not a consideration.
Old 04-07-2016, 14:37   #4
Soulless
Asset

Packs

I used an Eberlestock Phantom in 08-09. The fact that the scabbard came off was a plus because without a rifle in the scabbard to stiffen the pack, that extra material caused the load to sway back and forth on your back. It rode pretty good, even over the IOTV. If you don't require any extensive sleeping gear, one of the comparable packs of about the same size would be pretty good.

Pros: Comfortable, rode well with good airflow between the pack and your back, integral pouches for water bladders, internal molle attachment points and moveable divider for organizing your load. Some external molle attachment points to expand storage, they back their product with no fuss and ship OCONUS.

Cons: Internal organization can lead to some issues with larger items such as spotting scopes, no internal frame makes heavier loads difficult to carry without carefully packing the bag to make it as rigid as possible, there was a initial issue with a carry handle coming apart at the seam, but it was addressed by the company and I haven't had an issue since.
Old 06-13-2016, 22:30   #5
Indian
Asset

I know this is an old thread, but here is my update. I tried a lot of gear and ended up with a Kifaru XTL for Alaska hunting. I liked it so much I also got a smaller (3000") one for my back country Alaska SAR work, and then a smaller one yet for a day/travel pack. The thing I like is that besides being extremely tough, they all have the best suspension I have ever used under load (sometimes ridiculous loads). I now have 4 different Kifaru packs for various purposes and no complaints. The advice I was given on this forum has served me well in this matter.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:23   #6
JHB
Asset

HPG (Hill People Gear)

Since we are talking about your pack questions I will add one more! Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Hill People Gear Packs?
They are a company out of Colorado I believe.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." However, "Never let your emotion affect your training and your ability to kill the enemy first"
JHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:44   #7
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB View Post
Since we are talking about your pack questions I will add one more! Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Hill People Gear Packs?
They are a company out of Colorado I believe.
I have had the Snubby for over a year and use it quite often. I also bought one for my wife and a runner's kit bag for a friend as a b'day gift. My wife loves hers and last I heard, my buddy uses the hell out of his and has not had any issues. Scott and Evan Hill (owners of Hill People) are good dudes and stand by their products. On my first order, I ran into an issue with the shipment and notified their support team. About 10 min later I had an email from Scott saying that they were sending me a second bag, no questions asked. Most of everything they make, if not all of it, is made by Americans with American materials. Pretty cool if you ask me and it's still pretty cool if you didn't ask me.

I run a minimum of 3-5 miles 3-4x a week. I ruck quite a bit, too and I go off-roading (ATV) quite often I like having the pack for a couple reasons. One, I run/ruck with my dutch shepherd and have her lead, wastes bags, etc tucked into one of the pockets. I also go armed and carry my .40 and mags, plus I have a small headlamp, some cash and ID cards, etc. If I'm just going for a walk, I only wear the Snubby. If I'm going running then I add the stabilizer strap. With the stabilizer strap, I have ZERO stability issues. I can carry quite a bit and there's nothing bouncing around.

Is there a particular bag you're looking at buying? Or were you just asking about them in general?
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:43   #8
JHB
Asset

Looking at buying/building another SHTF bag for myself being that the bride has taken custody of my other bag for her truck. That bag is a Maxpedition and have had ZERO issues. In doing research I ran across the HPG and it looked like quality gear but I like to have HUMINT when possible.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." However, "Never let your emotion affect your training and your ability to kill the enemy first"
JHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 14:28   #9
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

Gotcha - I'm tracking, now. For me, I wanted a holster for running and rucking (and I have used several dif't types), but I also wanted something that could carry more than just a pistol and I wanted it to front load, so I got the Snubby. I already had a SHTF bag, but it's getting old and I plan to replace it with this. A friend of mine just got one, but hasn't put any mileage on it yet. Regarding the Snubby, it's a nice compliment to carrying a rucksack - especially if you integrate it with something like the Umlindi . The rear harness is durable, yet you hardly even know it's there (even when you're wearing it with a rucksack).

As for strength and quality, they are rugged and extremely tough. I've probably rucked around 400 miles while using it over the past year and have run it through the thick briar patch hell on earth that is commonly referred to as Pelham Range at Ft. McClellan. I've taken it kayaking, fishing, hunting, etc. It's still strong and there's no slack in the lifter straps or the lateral torsion straps. When I cinch it down, it remains in place just like the first time I wore it. The seams are strong and still holding up. There are no frays or other malfunctions. The zippers are stout. The interior pockets hold up and do not stretch out. I've carried everything from compasses to jerky to ammo in them and they're good to go.

If I had to think of any cons, it would be that they aren't waterproof. So, I just treat it with some Scotchguard, keep some ziploc bags on hand and move on. By the way, there is a forum on HPG's website. They cover quite a few topics and have lots of info for different rigs and what not. It is located here.

Best of luck!
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:31   #10
x SF med
Quiet Professional

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation did some extensive testing and membership surveying - all of the extreme use packs for the Team Elk Gear are Eberlestock. That says something about them.

I've tried them out and they fit well. I know a couple or more 18D's and other SF guys that swear by them.

If you have the cash, get the good shit, if you don't have the cash, get the good stuff, especially if your life is going to depend on that piece of gear.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 19:00   #11
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Eberlestock.

I have one Eberlestock ruck, and have been rucking with it the last couple of years with 23kgs. No issues. The project I am on bought quite a few of them. They have excellent products. Just need to figure out how the ruck can carry itself.

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote