Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Old 01-20-2005, 01:36   #1
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Age limit for 18A SFAS Applicants

Hi all,

My question: Is there an age limit for officers attending SFAS?

My concern: If all goes as planned I will be 26 when I earn my commission.

I've done some research and it looks like there's no age limit for enlisted guys. However, knowing the tight window of opportunity that officers have for SFAS I figured it'd be one more thing to look out for.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Aric
aricbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:02   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricbcool
Hi all,

My question: Is there an age limit for officers attending SFAS?

My concern: If all goes as planned I will be 26 when I earn my commission.

I've done some research and it looks like there's no age limit for enlisted guys. However, knowing the tight window of opportunity that officers have for SFAS I figured it'd be one more thing to look out for.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Aric
Assuming that you make your time line, you should be good to go.

You would be about 29 when you come to SFAS.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 19:01   #3
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Looks like I'm covered then. Thanks for the response Reaper. =0)

--Aric
aricbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 21:33   #4
first&foreward
Asset

18A age requirement

If I missed something while searching threads I apologize. I was wondering the same thing. Except in my situation I would be 32 when I receive my commission. I am currently in the NG with 10 yrs. TIS, 3 yrs active duty time through deployments and basic/AIT. I will be attending ROTC upon completion of my current deployment and intend to go active immediately afterwards. My search results indicated you need to be a captain to attend the Q course. That would make me about 35. Is there a way to expedite this process after I am commissioned? Thanks for all of your assisatnace.
first&foreward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 22:02   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

You can ask these guys:

http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_giler_...ectricity.html

Seems to be more of a YG requirement than a particular age issue.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:30   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by first&foreward View Post
If I missed something while searching threads I apologize. I was wondering the same thing. Except in my situation I would be 32 when I receive my commission. I am currently in the NG with 10 yrs. TIS, 3 yrs active duty time through deployments and basic/AIT. I will be attending ROTC upon completion of my current deployment and intend to go active immediately afterwards. My search results indicated you need to be a captain to attend the Q course. That would make me about 35. Is there a way to expedite this process after I am commissioned? Thanks for all of your assisatnace.

I think that, like many others, you have waited too long to make your decision.

There is no guarantee that you will be selected to attend SFAS.

It is Year Group based, and even if you were selected to attend, you would only get one shot.

Not too many teams looking for middle-aged Detachment Commanders with no time in SF, BTW.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 16:57   #7
first&foreward
Asset

Sir,

I appreciate the prompt response and will reflect on your answer. At any rate, I will not cease in my endeavors to become a special forces soldier. Whether that be as a commanding officer or an intel guy is yet to be determined. Untill then I will do PT and utilize the search button you have provided me Sir. Thanks again.
first&foreward is offline   Reply With Quote