Old 06-04-2012, 17:50   #16
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

.45ACP vs Beretta 9mm?

I will wait for TR and Team Sgt. to comment on this subject? Here is hoping they do...Regard's, TK
Old 06-04-2012, 20:33   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
I will wait for TR and Team Sgt. to comment on this subject? Here is hoping they do...Regard's, TK
I would take both, if I had them. And all of the sexy parts.

When I was at Camp Vance, we had more 1911s than M9s, and there was plenty of ammo for both. Range day every week, IIRC.

Just remember when gun plumbing that it doesn't matter how accurate it is, if it doesn't go BOOM when it is supposed to. Stick with Ball and good mags and the issue 1911s will run fine. The Berettas, not so much, in my experience.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:46   #18
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Not long before I went to a doorkicker unit, they switched over to M9's from the 1911 for the shooting school. There was a LOT of bitching about it from all angles. I'd shot nothing but 1911's until then; my POWs were Essex frame jobs with the lugs and recesses matched up and Bomar sights-that was just what I was used to.

I don't remember too many failures with the M9's during training or afterward, but I never did get used to it-especially the 3500-round (or whatever) reciever check. Never gave it much thought, because it was very rarely the primary weapon, and when it was, you could always pack another M9.

I stayed with 1911's for my own defense and shooting all the way up until about a year ago. As I mentioned before, I equate them to riding and maintaining a knucklehead Harley-old technology, pain in the ass, but fun.

The important martial difference was a slower-moving, bigger chunk of (ball) lead.

When I switched over to HK, it took quite a while for the controls to become second nature to manipulate, but it's a vastly superior platform for the .45.

I realize HK isn't available in this case while 1911's are, and if you have the parts and smith tools available to get them in shape to ALWAYS bust a cap, then I'd go with a 1911 for sure.

Hopefully a handgun won't ever have to be your primary weapon.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51   #19
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Like stated before with all the Marsoc and navy running around you should be able to get ammo and parts if you link up with a Marine AOB(If your in country PM and ill get you contact info maybe able to get you a POC stateside also) I am currently working for a Marine SOTF and AOB.

We have a navy Corpman on the team right now who is the only guy with a .45 been able to keep him on the range as often as he wants.

also have a brand new M79 so much fun to shoot
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote