Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 09-29-2020, 22:03   #1
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

List something good that came out of COVID-19.

[I really don’t mean to start a new Covid thread but there has to be a silver lining somewhere.]

I stopped paying for haircuts. Not just me but the wife and kid too.

Gas/Diesel is 1980’s cheap, just have nowhere to go, that will change.

I have more but...

What’s your silver lining?

God Bless the USA!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:26   #2
PSM
Area Commander

My wife is home every other Sunday because her mahjong group thinks every week is too dangerous.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:29   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

My retirement job is delivering cars for a dealer in Southern California. There was a noticeable drop in traffic volume but lately, it has started to get heavier.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:44   #4
bblhead672
Area Commander

My .02:

Elected Controllers formerly disguised as Republicans exposed themselves for who they truly are.

True believers in government control of our lives openly expressed their beliefs..friends, family, neighbors.

Medical establishment exposed as corrupt, greedy and power seeking.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:56   #5
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post

What’s your silver lining?

God Bless the USA!
I have been receiving a solid attitude adjustment/character development.

It's far too easy to wallow in the bread of adversity, the water of affliction of broken dream, broken heart, broken body, broken finances.....but anytime I see the new unemployment rate and the worldwide struggle, it's a fresh surge of attitude of gratitude.
Before military, I spent a period of my professional life being unemployed. r it was one of the lowest moments.

oh...and I've become a barber at the front line I don't charge but the clients have been very generous with the tips

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33   #6
cbtengr
Area Commander

Getting on a small regional jet and not being stuffed in like sardines, my latest air travel which included going through O'Hare was quite pleasant.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:20   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

A philosophic awakening.

Before anyone laughs their coffee onto the keyboard - I DO NOT equate that to more people being "woke", it means that COVID-19 has forced me to take a more philosophic look at how people impact my life.

In fact - I have become more certain than ever that the more people profess to be ‘woke’ - the more they demonstrate their closed mindedness. The more people strive to be "PC" - the more offensive they actually become.

So, this is the part where sane people should page down to the next post to avoid the mindless ramblings of a wildly hypocritical, unapologetic, biased, partisan, closed minded conservative.

Go ahead and page down to the next post - I'll wait.........

Ok for the rest of you that are curious enough to stick around:

Teleworking from home had a degree of liberation; it gave many people a painfully objective look at the word, “ESSENTIAL” as well as an even more painful awareness of what it meant to be “NON-essential”
It also forced people to accept that not everyone labeled "essential" is value added and some of us wouldn't be able to survive without those previously labeled as "non-essential"

Pro-atheletes, Hollywood celebrities, and sadly – MOST politicians have taught us that life goes on without them. We could survive without them.
In some cases we might even flourish when we have LESS of them.

Tatia – the cashier at Food Lion is much more essential to our daily lives than having pro sportsball players preach to us about how badly they are being treated by the police…

Noah – the guy that restocks the meat section at Harris Teeter is much more essential to our everyday life than a band of Hollywood court jesters live tweeting from their 10,000 square foot mansions to suggest that “we are all in this together

Tyler is busy sanitizing Walmart late into the night to make sure the store is free of pestilence while politicians give us virtual tours of their $25,000 refrigerators filled with $13 per pint ice cream to show us how “connected” we are.

Celebrities that have made their fortunes through movie and TV roles that glamorize drug traffickers, race car drivers, pilots, pioneers, and violent gunfighters all band together to sing “Imagine” because otherwise my day would be dark and dreary.

Then to finish the mental coup de gras – those same hollywood egomaniacs get together and post the “I take Responsibility” video…
…a group of lonely attention hungry socialites decided that I need to be reminded of my inherent privileged and undeniable racist leanings so that I’ll pity and canonize the never ending parade of criminals that have been killed by police.
hey Hollywood....
...FUUUUUUUUUCK YOU

The Pandemic has FORCED me to embrace this madness – it has opened my eyes to the fact that American culture is fractured.
COVID-19 has blessed me with the realization that "we the people" recognize and admire the WRONG people to a degree that is almost embarrassingly unacceptable.

It has opened my eyes to the reality that most Americans really just don’t seem to give a shit anymore.
About anything
Americans have reached a point of sensory overload. America has become desensitized to the RAW hypocrisy that these cocksuckers have foisted upon us for generations and along came COVID-19.
…when the same politicians that said travel bans were racist couldn't wait to jump in front of a camera and wail that the President didn’t institute enough travel bans soon enough to prevent the spread of a virus that originated in China.

America had become desensitized to the RAW hypocrisy that these cocksuckers have foisted upon us for generations and along came COVID-19.
…and forced us to see that just because a politician spells their name with an (R) doesn’t mean they are going to support conservative causes - just because a politician spells their name with an (D) doesn’t mean they give a popcorn fart about poor people or minority groups.

America had become desensitized to the RAW hypocrisy that these cocksuckers have foisted upon us for generations and along came COVID-19.
…and forced us to spend more time with our families.

Okay – admittedly, that’s a “negative” for some people – but it gave me several months at home to better indoctrinate my family in my own image instead of the brainwashed do-as-you-are-told image that has infiltrated our lives through an unchecked media juggernaught.

COVID-19 had the positive effect of making me think a little deeper and open my eyes a little wider to see and recognize the people that really do contribute to making our lives a little better. In fact, maybe it wouldn’t kill anybody to greet the Walmart-Greeter or just thank the cashier for ringing up your 'take-out'

It's made me realize that the guy at the front door asking you to wear a mask isn't the bad guy. The politicians that are using "to mask or not to mask" as a sound byte are the ones we should be blaming.

COVID-19 caused a philosophical awakening that has make me look at things a little deeper
…again, that is probably a net negative considering my tendency to overthink things. It may have just turned me into a bigger sarcastic prick than I ever would have become on my own.

Who knows maybe “we the people” could make a better America IN SPITE of these cock suckers and their condescending streaming video with their 104 dollar a gallon ice cream and self-serving photo-ops.

…just my two cents, I could be wrong
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 13:07   #8
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

That reminds me. My wife and I are completely incapable of getting our teenage student to study and do online learning (otherwise known as homeschooling) during the longest ever “Spring Break”, he’s back in school now just since last week. The stress level is decreasing daily although schooling is and may never be the same.

If as a result of the COVID colleges and universities can no longer indoctrinate our children. Maybe this current pre-collegiate class of Freshmen can learn from those burning and rioting and see that it is wrong.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 18:11   #9
Gypsy
Area Commander

My happy place has been working from home since mid March, have no desire to ever return to the office building. Saving money on fuel, not dealing with stupid drivers or people with road rage...it's good!
Old 09-30-2020, 18:41   #10
tonyz
Area Commander

Work from home due to pandemic is not all bad...

= nonexistent drive times means more productivity
= reduced dry cleaning bills
= cigar breaks out back can be productive
= occasional background noises on Zoom/Teams can happen to anyone and it's ok
= putting in laundry/pulling clothes out of dryer can be a nice break
= PB&J sandwiches with a big glass of milk can beat either a vending machine or BS overpriced “power lunch”

Who knew ?

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 00:35   #11
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post

If as a result of the COVID colleges and universities can no longer indoctrinate our children. Maybe this current pre-collegiate class of Freshmen can learn from those burning and rioting and see that it is wrong.
This!

I am just an overeducated hypocrite with several undergrad and grad degrees, but I have high hopes that while you have difficulty getting the youngins to do online schooling, many others see the overhyped cost-benefit ratio of higher education, and choose accordingly. The ultimate goal is for the college and university to reflect on how bloated their budget has been in returns of a poor product (massive debt w junk degrees) and it becomes a customer market once again. Likewise with the massive reduction of international students enrollment. Who knows....maybe eventually a massive exodus of leftist professors such as one who is obsessed with "white colonials"

Then again, if their exodus destination is woke training for corporate and military then I should be careful what I wish for!

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 10-01-2020 at 00:41.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:02   #12
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
My happy place has been working from home since mid March, have no desire to ever return to the office building. Saving money on fuel, not dealing with stupid drivers or people with road rage...it's good!
Same.Same.

Been working from home since March 14. The best thing to come of this is that the powers-that-be have decided that some of us might work from home permanently.

We took advantage of the vehicle manufacturers' panic in mid-June and bought a new vehicle at 0% interest to replace the one we've put 300K miles on.

My highschoolers adjusted to Zoom classes immediately, having previously been homeschooled. Easy-peasy, and I didn't have to do the teaching. (However, my senior was livid about the schools closing and his senior year/graduation being derailed, including his last season of track & field.)

I've discovered a buncha new recipes and done a lot of experimenting in the kitchen.

Our bank balance is the best its ever been. We don't go out, we don't go shopping, we're not buying gas, clothing, extra food, etc. Our insurance rates dropped. Trump gave us some money. Woot!

My stress levels have fallen to nearly zero. The most stress I feel is when I read the news about the state of our nation. COVID doesn't bother me one bit.

S.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:39   #13
mark46th
Quiet Professional

The wait time to re-enter the U.S. from Mexico is considerably shorter at the San Ysidro-Otay Mesa entry points
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:46   #14
mojaveman
Area Commander

All of the local dine in restaurants now do home delivery.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:11   #15
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
The wait time to re-enter the U.S. from Mexico is considerably shorter at the San Ysidro-Otay Mesa entry points
I just learned this week that many, if not most, of the Cochise Co., AZ, hospitalizations and deaths were actually from Mexico. Not illegals. We have the best and closest hospitals to Agua Prieta and Naco. I imagine that that may be why the AZ numbers appeared to be so high. That and the high numbers of retirees living here.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote