Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-23-2008, 02:38   #1
crash
Guerrilla

Question IOTV?

I did a few searches and was suprised only to find the IOTV mentioned in the Dragon skin disscuss. maybe I missed it.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/0..._vest_070402w/

http://www.armytimes.com/projects/fl..._02_Army_vest/

Anyway I've heard a little talk and read a few articles about it and was wondering if anyone here has actualy gotten the chance to use it and compare it to the CIRAS or Paraclete RAV. From the pics I've seen it seems to be similar in design to the newer style paraclete vest, but it seems, not as well designed?

I've seen a few videos on the web and it always seems like the quick release is hard to pull and that certain parts kinda move around when donning and have to be kinda tucked back into place..

I love the Paraclete RAV but haven't had the chance to try either the IOTV or the CIRAS. Just interested to hear some feed back comparing them.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 15:20   #2
infsoldier0441
Asset

I am currently using the IOTV in Iraq. So far I have had no complaints of the new vest. I'm only on month 3 of 15 for this deployment so maybe after 15 months I can give a better review. I wore the older IBA style vests in Iraq a year ago and I can say as comfort goes, the IOTV definately takes the pot. The built in throat guard is also a plus. I felt that on the IBA's the guard would just limit my head movement and choke me in some positions. The IOTV's throat guard stays low enough to not even bother me. I don't wear the DAPS with the IOTV so I can't comment on that. I do wear the "pecker protector" as I call it, which I think is annoying on any vest. I haven't personally worn the CIRAS or RAV so I can't compare the IOTV to those. The only difference that I can think of is that the IOTV has the built in side plate carriers. The quick release handle I haven't had to use, thankfully, however it does come in handy when playing a practical joke on a buddy. In my personal opinion, I think the IOTV is based largely on the CIRAS and RAV, but mother army of course has to have it in ACU print, and cover as much of your body as one can allow. It to me is a good step up from the IBA, so that at least is points to the Army.
Old 01-23-2008, 18:02   #3
jwt5
Guerrilla

That "quick release" strap has me a bit concerned... not a bad place for it, but in my wild imagination I can see it getting snagged on God knows what and poof, no armor. (ie. climbing up/down/in the turret of a truck)

Is there a "protector" for the quick release so that you have to intentionally use it?
Old 01-23-2008, 23:09   #4
Razor
Quiet Professional

Yes, the pull ring/strap tucks up under a flap that is secured by Velcro. This also makes it tough for someone up close and personal to pull it and leave you exposed.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 00:09   #5
crash
Guerrilla

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by infsoldier0441 View Post
It to me is a good step up from the IBA, so that at least is points to the Army.

Well that doesn't sound too bad. I never did care for the throat protector on the IBA, guess I don't have a big enough neck, always choked me, as for daps, I don't think they'll ever be comfortable. for me the worst was the axilarry part digging into my armpit, one size fits all lol..

Can't wait to try out a IOTV, although it will probably be a while.

No other opinions? all good so far?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:07   #6
60_Driver
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by infsoldier0441 View Post
The quick release handle I haven't had to use, thankfully, however it does come in handy when playing a practical joke on a buddy.
I use a QR Centurion, and I saw no humor in having my release pulled. Neither did my bud who pulled it, before all was said and done.

I should have taken Razor's point from that, though. Any QR needs to be protected from snags, opponents and asshole buds.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:55   #7
StormBringer
Asset

We were issued the new IOTV prior to deployment. We got the whole kit and kaboodle. Dick plate, side plates, DAPS . . . hell, we just got the new nape protector that attaches to the back of the ACH. Getting ready for patrol or convoys makes one feel like a medival knight getting ready for battle. The biggest problem we had was the "higher ups" deciding on the SOP for gear placement. As it stands right now, I carry the following:

1 x general use pouch on the front for strobe, GPS, etc
1 x 3 mag 9mm pouch next to that (both attached low)
Pistol holster, upper right (leg drops get in the way while seated)
Multi-tool and Benchmade emergency cutter (like a seatbelt cutter) next to that
3 x mag standard Molle bandolier on each side flap, with 2 x double mag pouches attached to those
1 x medkit/GST trauma kit on left rear area (took the issue kit, added a few "extras")
Laser-pointer, extra tourniquets, wherever I can put them.

Sounds like alot, but I am able to carry a double basic load, and its not too bulky (suprisingly). I can get it on easily by myself, and have pretty good maneuverability. I learned the hard way, via a running gunbattle in Baghdad '03, that is not a good idea to go black on ammo.

The only gripe I have on the vest is the tendancy for the straps on the side flaps (with the side plates) to twist up. A good buddy-check (or a mini JMPI) usually solves that.

Also, just for the record, we've never had a malfunction with the QR. (although we have had some ass-kickery for "jokes")

(caveat: while 14 magazines do carry some weight, the fact that we are motorized makes it a bit easier on the knees, shoulders, hips . . . you know what I mean!)

Last edited by StormBringer; 05-09-2008 at 21:52.
StormBringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 17:27   #8
linedoc
Asset

I suppose I could post a little feedback on the IOTV.

I've been waiting to see how it works out for some period of time before posting anything, I've had the vest for about 2 months now and was using the IBA with side plates for the prior 8 months.

I spend about 40% of my time mounted (1151) and 60% dismounted, various terrain.

I carry 2 5.56 HSGI 3 mag panels, 4-9mm , strobe, smoke, 2 6x6 GP pouches loaded with trauma goodies, M9, and some hasty balsa wood splints for pressure dressings in the back. I also grab a camelback full of blowout packs, airway, etc..

Unlike the IBA, surprisingly, all this stuff fits, and fits well on the IOTV. With the cumberbund style closure/ over the head donning, I am able to mount everything forward for easy access unlike the IBA. I had to use my chest rig to get the stuff where I could use it. Camel back fits great, no funny buldging, straps fit well over the shoulders.

Three words: Comfortable as hell.

No matter how well I adjusted the IBA I either got it tight enough and it was a bitch to close or loose enough to close but not tight enough to ride on my torso. The IOTC distributes well and feels like it's part of me.

The internal cumberbund works well suspending some of the weight to the torso, although it creates a nice hot spot when I wear the combat shirt, I forget all about it after about 10 minutes.

The medical access cover on the left shoulder holds a SOF-T or 2 CATS perfectly.

In the truck the vest remains where it's supposed to. Only bitch I have is the poor velcro job for the collar. The tiny squares are there to ease the release when the QR is pulled but the collar slides in and out laterally. It always catches on my VIC headset and it irks me a bit, a quick adjustment and all is fine.

Despite being designed to have more axial protection I have noticed that there is still an ability for fresh air to get in, which is a nice bonus.

Got into a nice little "length of our man parts" contest a day or so ago and found my self at a dead sprint down a few hundred meters of rough terrain. The vest stayed put, didn't bounce and I had no problems reaching up on ledges and climbing walls, houses, etc. Huge improvement over the IBA with the side sapi and daps.

Only gripe is there isn't a decent place to connect a 'biner or wolf hook on the shoulder. The plus side is I can place it on the uppermost row of webbing and it keeps the rifle from slipping past the lower profile shoulders. The QR channels also make excelent storage for zip cuffs without interfering.

QR has not had any issues catching on anything. I pull mine once a week to insure it works and that nothing is kinked up or holding the vest together.

All that said, it's really up to the end user to ensure the vest is adjusted right and fits well but I know for sure that you can toss a lot of crap on this vest and it is much easier to wear and still be able to toss it all on in one swoop, and it's more comfortable to boot. Inshalla I won't have a report on the vest's protective qualities.

That's all I have.....9/10. I'll give it a 10 when we get it in multi-cam.

Last edited by linedoc; 06-26-2008 at 13:02.
linedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 14:54   #9
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

Nice reviews on the IOTV, it is a great improvement. For you bigger guys that want a little more side protection. You can fit small SAPI plates in the sides in place of the side SAPI's. They are just slightly taller but fit into the pockets. You just have to see if it fits you right or not.
Old 06-23-2008, 15:05   #10
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by linedoc View Post
I carry 7-5.56 HSGI 3 mag panels...
21 30-rd mags?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:41   #11
linedoc
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
21 30-rd mags?
That would be a typo....7 30 rd mags, 6 in the panels, 1 in the ready mag.

Guess I just had to mention the HSGI stuff....
Old 11-23-2008, 10:52   #12
infsoldier0441
Asset

IOTV review month 13...

Alright so our deployment is winding down in Iraq so I thought it was a good time to post my final verdict on the IOTV. First off the comfort and breathability were definately better compared to the IBA. It does cover more body area than the IBA did so in the interest of saving lives it worked. Of course our COC made sure we had every piece on at all times, but we eventually got used to all that extra stuff.

The issues I have had with it were with the quick release cord and the material used to make it itself. Our Squadron has had three instances where guys were seriously injured and our medics could not get the QR cord to pull out. I personally whitnessed our medic try pulling it with the casualty on his back and sitting up neither produced any results. The cord just seemed like it was stuck or glued into the vest and wouldn't budge. Talks with other medics told the same story they had to just take the gear off all together to get to the wounds instead of using the "high speed" QR cord. The material that makes up the non protective part of the vest is cheap and rips and tears easily. The side plate holders on every guy in my platoon have been ripped to shreds by simple day to day operations. Guys have resorted to duct tape for temporary fixes.

I think that the IOTV is better than the IBA, that much is obvious but there is still room for improvement. I dont know if anyone else out there has had the same experiences as I have but I know the stated above is pretty much the standard in my area.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:19   #13
Dozer523
BANNED USER

linedoc, stormbringer. any chance of photos -- front and rear -- for us "visual learners"? Don't blow opsec!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 13:03   #14
Karl.Masters
Quiet Professional

linedoc, infsoldier, stormbringer, appreciate your comments. We are doing another In Service Review on the system and I will incorporate your feedback. Also, as Intel Airman mentioned, the 7.25" wide extra small size ESAPI fits the side pouch to offer increased protection for those with a longer torso. Thanks for taking the time to provide your reviews - CHARLIE MIKE
Karl.Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:51   #15
eric ford
Asset

IOTV Review

About mid way through our deployment we recieved our IOTV. And of course our unit made us where all the extra adapters. But eventually you get used to it.

So here is my final review of the IOTV.

Fit and Comfort: On the intial wearing of the IOTV it was very comfortable. The way it is designed it stays off the shoulders. There is a cumberbund that wraps around your waist that makes it very hot and uncomfotable. For me at least it seemed to long (I wore a medium and Im 5' 7" and 150lbs).

Pouch Placement: To be honest it sucked. If you like to wear a rack the shoulder straps on it will ride up and rub against your neck. If you prefer to mount your pouches directly to your vest. If you prefer to wear them high (like I do) the molle straps will place the top of the pouches right at your neck. other wise you have to wear them on your waist on a very thin flimsy peace of fabric that to put on the vest you have to lift it up and fasten the side straps to the front of the vest. Which makes it hard to properly fasten them because your holding up a 10lbs flap (with fully loaded ammo pouches attached).

Hope this helps and I went back to wearing the old vest.

Just my .02

Eric
eric ford is offline   Reply With Quote