Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 02-01-2017, 03:03   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Terror raids across central Germany

German cops roll up 19 suspected ISIS douchebags. The article I cite has 16 arrested, but I'm hearing the higher number elsewhere. How many of us have been to or passed through Frankfurt and some of the other locations mentioned?

https://www.thelocal.de/20170201/pol...is-terror-plot

Police launch major terror raids across central Germany

Police in Hesse raided over 50 properties early on Wednesday morning and arrested one suspect over an alleged plan to carry out a terror attack.
As well as searching addresses in Frankfurt, police carried out dawn raids in Offenbach, Darmstadt and the state capital, Wiesbaden. The raids were conducted on apartments, commercial properties and mosques.

Sixteen males between the ages of 16 and 46 are suspects in the investigation and searches involving more than 1,100 officers.

The main suspect, a 36-year-old Tunisian, is accused of recruiting for Isis in Germany and of planning to carry out a terror attack. Police say he was in the process of building up a terror network with the aim of carrying out an attack. The 36-year-old was the only person taken into custody.

A spokesperson for police in Hesse said that the group had not yet chosen a target for their attack and that the plans were in the early stages.

"With this operation, we are sending a clear message to radical Islamists in Hesse: We have the scene firmly within our sights," said Hesse interior minister Peter Beuth.

Frankfurt prosecutors are set to give more details about the investigation at 10am.

Berlin police arrest three suspected jihadists

Police in Berlin said they arrested three people on Tuesday suspected of trying to reach foreign "war zones" in order to train to carry out an attack.

The suspects may be linked to Isis and had "planned to travel to war zones," likely Syria or Iraq, a Berlin police spokesman told AFP.

Police also carried out searches, but there has been "no indication of concrete plans to carry out an attack in Germany", according to the Bild daily's website.

The suspects, whose gender was not immediately given, were aged 21, 31 and 45, the spokesman said. He added that investigators suspect they were trying to reach a camp to train to launch an attack.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:16   #2
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

From this side of the pond, it seems the police in Germany are the only people interested in fighting terrorism.

"Fuck that - man up - kick over the podium, piss on the teleprompter, wave your dick at the TV cameras and drop the mic' as you walk off the stage. " - the QP formerly known as BillyLBach
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:05   #3
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Hmmmm..... Middle aged males attending mosques and either from or of Middle Eastern/North African heritage who had emigrated to Germany and now wanted to do harm to their adopted country?

What an absolutely crazy coincidence. Who would have thought of such a thing happening? Inconceivable.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:16   #4
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
German cops roll up 19 suspected ISIS douchebags. The article I cite has 16 arrested, but I'm hearing the higher number elsewhere. How many of us have been to or passed through Frankfurt and some of the other locations mentioned?
I haven't been in Wiesbaden in several years, but I passed through Frankfurt, Offenbach and Darmstadt as recently as this past year. Indeed, when I was in Offenbach in September, there was a heavy police presence. A big soccer game was about to let out, and due to both ordinary hooliganism and a a heightened terrorist threat, the police were taking no chances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand View Post
From this side of the pond, it seems the police in Germany are the only people interested in fighting terrorism.
One of my best friends is a senior NCO in the Luftwaffe in Berlin, and has been been a pretty big advocate of stronger German anti- and counterterrorism policies.

One of my other best friends works in airline security in Frankfurt am Main, and is pretty far to the left. He is OK on antiterrorism, but is one of those guys who tends to think that most of our counterterrorism efforts only breed more terrorists. It's pretty frustrating to argue the point, so we usually shift subjects and have a few more beers.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 20:29   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
I haven't been in Wiesbaden in several years, but I passed through Frankfurt, Offenbach and Darmstadt as recently as this past year. Indeed, when I was in Offenbach in September, there was a heavy police presence. A big soccer game was about to let out, and due to both ordinary hooliganism and a a heightened terrorist threat, the police were taking no chances.

One of my best friends is a senior NCO in the Luftwaffe in Berlin, and has been been a pretty big advocate of stronger German anti- and counterterrorism policies.

One of my other best friends works in airline security in Frankfurt am Main, and is pretty far to the left. He is OK on antiterrorism, but is one of those guys who tends to think that most of our counterterrorism efforts only breed more terrorists. It's pretty frustrating to argue the point, so we usually shift subjects and have a few more beers.
Tell your lib friend you heard that supporting Jews just breeds more Nazi's...
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 20:56   #6
mojaveman
Area Commander

Germans to fit suspected jihadists with ankle bracelets

Germany's government on Wednesday approved the use of electronic monitoring ankle bracelets to keep an eye on extremists considered potentially dangerous as it moves to get tough on suspected jihadists after the Berlin truck attack.

http://thelocal.de/20170201/berlin-t...nkle-bracelets
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote