Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Europe

Old 11-03-2011, 22:44   #16
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOfH View Post
Russia's had the past decade or so to build themselves up(without the US trying to contain them), and flex some muscle, case in point: Georgia. Now that we are winding down in Afghanistan, I wonder if the US plans on a force buildup in the AO, specifically SF, in an attempt to deter future Georgia like incidents...
I hope not. About time for Europeans to do that themselves and truth to tell, the Russians didn't do that well invading a contiguous state that was once itself.....and they have not 'built themselves up' they have let things 'go' in many respects...Russia is a Mafiacracy where the money goes in many directions.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:04   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Russia and China have one thing in common when it comes to their militaries - both are tough when defending their own 'hoods' but not so much when they venture out into somebody else's 'turf'...however, a brawl between them on the Sino-Soviet border is something I don't think any of us would want to see. MOO.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03   #18
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I hope not. About time for Europeans to do that themselves and truth to tell, the Russians didn't do that well invading a contiguous state that was once itself.....and they have not 'built themselves up' they have let things 'go' in many respects...Russia is a Mafiacracy where the money goes in many directions.
QP PRB,

Agreed, and I don't think we will see any overt military action from them for some time, however, they will probably continue to operate aggressively in a covert manner(think of the recent spy swap), and IMHO, SF presence in Europe acted as a (albeit small, but meaningful) deterrent to that as well. To clarify, the "build-up" I am thinking of is of men and material, not leadership and expertise, which, if history is any indicator, is enough for them as they will just throw as many bodies as possible at whatever offensive or defensive action they take. Then again, with their dwindling demographics in mind, maybe not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Russia and China have one thing in common when it comes to their militaries - both are tough when defending their own 'hoods' but not so much when they venture out into somebody else's 'turf'...however, a brawl between them on the Sino-Soviet border is something I don't think any of us would want to see. MOO.

Richard
QP Richard,
Agreed, but how much longer will China's raw materials hold out(that's if their economy doesn't collapse first)? And if their economy does collapse, in the words of PRB: "Never let a good crisis go to waste."
Old 11-04-2011, 15:38   #19
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Don't forget- China acquired the rights to Afghanistan's undeveloped mineral rights... Raw materials shouldn't be an issue...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 20:22   #20
DevilSide
Guerrilla

http://geography.about.com/od/obtain.../russiapop.htm

This article talks about Russia's population decline, all a mix of vodka, poor economy and abortion.

http://blog.euromonitor.com/2007/06/...opulation.html
The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom - Sun Tzu
DevilSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 20:38   #21
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Don't forget- China acquired the rights to Afghanistan's undeveloped mineral rights... Raw materials shouldn't be an issue...
Interesting, wasn't aware of that.
I chatted with an Exxon guy in Astan (plane ride from Kandahar to Kabul) and he said they do have petro deposits but that they are deep and the rock is very unstable and that make drilling extremely problematic....why no one has gone after it, it is not viable even with todays high prices.
I'm not sure about mineral deposits.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 20:47   #22
mark46th
Quiet Professional

This gives a good idea of what they have and where it is...
http://thenewslink.com/Afghanistan-Mineral-Map.html
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 21:38   #23
HOLLiS
Area Commander

IIRC, Russia is wealthy in natural resources and very poor in good weather. The Ukraine was it's bread basket. The South part of the Crimea is as about on the same parallel of Salem Oregon. (45th)

It has great potential. Now if they can over come some internal issues. In some ways they are like still in the early 1900s. They have a lot of catching up to do.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 20:23   #24
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
QP mark46th,
I heard that some time back, thanks for the reminder, that is a good point.

HOLLiS,
I ate lunch today with a family that hails from Tajikistan, they left back in the late 80's and from what I understand, not much has changed there over the past 70 years there...
Old 01-03-2012, 17:09   #25
bluenote
Asset

"USSR-Lite" Anyone?

Putin envisions a Eurasian Union:
http://news.yahoo.com/russias-putin-...084122179.html
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 18:12   #26
Scimitar
Area Commander

Don't Forget BRIC

I doubt very much that China will invade Russia,

THE Brazil, Russia, India, China trading block is alive and well and growing and will be the world power broker in 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIC

Scimitar

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 01-03-2012 at 18:27.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 19:59   #27
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I doubt very much that China will invade Russia,

THE Brazil, Russia, India, China trading block is alive and well and growing and will be the world power broker in 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRIC

Scimitar
I doubt their alliance will survive that long.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote