Old 08-13-2013, 12:59   #61
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Old thread resurrection notice...

I am wanting to find a good compass with which to teach my Cubscouts the basics of compass use and a search led me to this thread.

The problem is that Silva is no longer Silva and, it seems, Brunton no longer makes the 15TDCL which became the old Silva Ranger.

Does any one know what is comparable and in current production? I can find lots of Indonesian made Silva's and the closest Brunton is the O.S.S 70M

Sure, I can buy a $15 Silva for now but I'd like to buy a compass that will last for years. I have two kids in Cubscouts and would like to buy something once that will last as long as they can keep it.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 14:00   #62
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post

I am wanting to find a good compass with which to teach my Cubscouts the basics of compass use and a search led me to this thread.

The problem is that Silva is no longer Silva and, it seems, Brunton no longer makes the 15TDCL which became the old Silva Ranger.

Does any one know what is comparable and in current production?.
You might take a look at the Sunnto MC2G:

http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-SS00425.../dp/B000FEUCRW

I haven't used it (I have a Ranger) but the reviews are good and some of the reviewers have, or have used, both.

ETA: I see that the "G" means that the Suunto has a global needle, I don't believe that the Ranger does.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 08-13-2013 at 15:56.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 14:57   #63
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post

Does any one know what is comparable and in current production? I can find lots of Indonesian made Silva's and the closest Brunton is the O.S.S 70M

Sure, I can buy a $15 Silva for now but I'd like to buy a compass that will last for years. I have two kids in Cubscouts and would like to buy something once that will last as long as they can keep it.
Streck, you might want to check your google-fu.

What is wrong with these Silva Rangers?

http://www.amazon.com/Silva-2801077-...s=silva+ranger

http://www.amazon.com/Silva-Ranger-H...s=silva+ranger

or, as noted, this Suunto: http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Mirror-...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59   #64
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

TR,

I asked because of the below post. If others have experienced that they are good to go, I'd be fine with using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
This is an update.

The Silva Rangers in the stores today are not the original Silva 15s!

I have a Silva Type 27 that developed a huge bubble. (In fact, a Google search for the warranty information on the 27 led me to this site many moons ago [I’m studying American Indian for the Adventure Challenge]. ) Silva USA (now owned by Johnson Outdoors) would not honor the “lifetime” warranty. I’ve only owned it 30 years or so. But, I did learn that Brunton bought Silva Sweden over a decade ago. I contacted Brunton and they will honor the warranty on my 27 or any other Silva Sweden compass.

Today, the Brunton 15TDCL (made by Silva Sweden) is the real Ranger. Confused yet?

Pat

Old 08-14-2013, 18:44   #65
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

There appear to be a bunch of Chinese knockoffs for sale, those seem to be in the $10 price range, and the real ones by both Silva USA and Brunton (Silva Sweden) at $35-50.

If the manufacturer warrantees them, and survives to honor that warantee, I would say to give them a try.

My older ones only bubbled (leaked) if I smacked them hard enough to crack the case.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 19:59   #66
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Struck,
Not specific to your question, but when my son joined I got a kit from silva which has 10-12 compasses in a hard plastic case, along with a large plastic model which is a great training aid. I also bought several orienteering flags with the hole punch devices. Once someone realizes you know land nav, you will be very busy!
And don't buy your sons a good compass until they loose/ break a couple of cheaper ones.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51   #67
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
Struck,
Not specific to your question, but when my son joined I got a kit from silva which has 10-12 compasses in a hard plastic case, along with a large plastic model which is a great training aid. I also bought several orienteering flags with the hole punch devices. Once someone realizes you know land nav, you will be very busy!
And don't buy your sons a good compass until they loose/ break a couple of cheaper ones.
I have an elementary Brunton, luminous, very workmanlike that has after MANY years a tiny bubble. Don't know the model & none on it. In current availability it looks to be very similar to what they're calling their 9020G, a bunch of which come with this instructor's kit here.

It has basically refused to be subdued over the years and sits in a ziploc with a pre-configured wire antenna that's in the bag. I wouldn't hesitate to hand out some of these to a bunch of scouts. In my experience, much of "whether it lasts" depends upon the individual kid - they either have learned to take care of stuff, or not, or it's an opportunity to mentor on the former.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:17   #68
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018commo View Post
That would be the smart move....I'm a gear junkie though and think in terms of getting stuff that will last forgetting that <10 year olds drop and lose stuff too much.

I typically use a Cammenga lensatic but that is not too easy for for kids to learn with....I've even thought of picking up Cemmenga's Protractor Compass (LINK) for me to play with.

Working with kids whose farthest treks will be through local parks and fields, I need to drop the 'Best Gear Possible' attitude and just get them something adequate.

As the pack Cubmaster, I should see if the committee will fund a teaching kit....I know they have spent more for less....

Old 12-31-2014, 10:16   #69
MR2
Quiet Professional

Received an PM Qustion and thought I would share with everyone my FOG perspective. I'd be interested in other opinions especially on some of the new stuff that is now available.

Quote:
I have a question on tritium in a compass or a watch for that matter.
Seems to me to be a bit on the bright side to me, but by the same token I've seen some of the other (radium or whatever) not charge.
Would you have a tritium watch or compass? Why or why not? Educate me please.
Well I'm no expert on Trit or Rad. I do remember being on point during a patrol aggressing against ROK marines. They had the new Tritium front sight posts on their M16A1s. Saw a dozen glowing green dots all in a line as they laid in their ambush position. Doom on them! This was using unaided eye night vision and not the PVS3 stuff they had then, let alone today!

Another example was using an illuminated lensatic compass on a cord and whirling it over your head to silently signal your location during night ops. Today they would use a chemlight I guess, but you see what I mean.

Point is, in a tactical situation, you must factor in everything into your light/noise discipline. Illuminated equipment is great, but you must keep it covered when not in use and defiantly don't be waving it around at night. Don't forget glare during day ops.

As a civilian today I love luminescence for night work.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 17:02   #70
mugwump
Area Commander

Bought a Silva Ranger for my nephew's son for Christmas. It had a leak in the housing that caused a bubble big enough to cause problems. I returned it and the replacement had the same problem out of the box at room temp.

They've also taken the magnifier off the baseplate. Silva has a problem. Thankfully, Amazon makes refunds a piece of cake.

PS: ultimately gave him a Suunto A-10, which is probably a better first compass anyway.

“Klaatu barada nikto”

Last edited by mugwump; 12-31-2014 at 17:10.
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 17:15   #71
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Bought a Silva Ranger for my nephew's son for Christmas. It had a leak in the housing that caused a bubble big enough to cause problems. I returned it and the replacement had the same problem out of the box at room temp.

They've also taken the magnifier off the baseplate. Silva has a problem. Thankfully, Amazon makes refunds a piece of cake.

PS: ultimately gave him a Suunto A-10, which is probably a better first compass anyway.
Mug, check out post #50 above.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 12-31-2014, 22:38   #72
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Mug, check out post #50 above.

Pat
D'Oh! Noticing that would have saved me some time. Oh well, I'm happy with the Suunto. Thanks Pat.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:50   #73
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

I was doing some research this weekend and found this about Brunton; "The new 15TDCL compasses are made in China. However, if most 15TDCL compasses are like the one that I am reviewing, they are still very decent compasses." Full article here; http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2010/09...5tdcl-compass/ disappointment article here; http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2010/06...-dissapointed/

Additionally, "Brunton has overhauled their entire line of compasses for 2012. The new line includes some familiar faces and several entirely new designs." Full article here; http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/02...-from-brunton/

In corresponding with Brunton about the TruArc 15 they replied to me ", the TruArc 15 is made in the USA in Riverton, Wyoming. "

Last edited by Javadrinker; 01-06-2015 at 16:52.
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:33   #74
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javadrinker View Post
I was doing some research this weekend and found this about Brunton; "The new 15TDCL compasses are made in China. However, if most 15TDCL compasses are like the one that I am reviewing, they are still very decent compasses." Full article here; http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2010/09...5tdcl-compass/

Additionally, "Brunton has overhauled their entire line of compasses for 2012. The new line includes some familiar faces and several entirely new designs." Full article here; http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/02...-from-brunton/

In corresponding with Brunton about the TruArc 15 they replied to me ", the TruArc 15 is made in the USA in Riverton, Wyoming. "
Hmmm, 404 on both links.

Pat

Old 01-06-2015, 16:53   #75
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

Corrected the links and I emptied the cache and checked. If it still doesn't work go to Jerking the Trigger and search compass.
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote