Old 10-30-2014, 21:39   #1
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Portable Shelter

This shelter has been brought to our attention and I post it here in hopes of a discussion about any insights you all may have with regards to field shelters. The intent here is a portable and easily assembled shelter for a variety of conditions that can be used to support relief mission sets.
http://visible-good.com/

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29   #2
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

http://www.tealinternational.com/Qui...eLiteHome.html

Has electrical panels and a portable sink also.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:02   #3
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Sinjefe that is an interesting shelter and the company is just down the road I see. The sink and electrical are nice additions as well as the trailer aspect.

The owner of the company in another video mentioned the emergency shelter use, it seems DARPA is forwarding emergency shelter development to some degree. That makes sense when you see the aftermath of some of the recent disasters we have experienced here let alone in other parts of the world.

There is a broad spectrum of portability, man pack-able systems, air transport and drop-able, connex types, and mobile types. Having systems like electrical, generators, batteries/ inverters or DC systems, solar, water/plumbing, heating, cooking, communication, etc... bring added function. I am not seeing many designs out there that focus on the passive energies which would reduce weights the energy foot print.

We will probably see some interesting developments coming out of these concepts.

Essayons

By Dand

Old 10-31-2014, 10:49   #4
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
Sinjefe that is an interesting shelter and the company is just down the road I see. The sink and electrical are nice additions as well as the trailer aspect.

The trailer version is modular so it can actually be larger. I am going to buy a 5' x 12' utility trailer and buy the 5' x 10' trailer version with an extra roof and wall panel. A lot less expensive than a lot of recreational trailers and, when you aren't using it as a rec trailer, you can use it as a utility trailer.
Old 09-29-2017, 15:04   #5
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Flat Pack Shelter Systems

Interesting models this company has and they are modular so you could scale them to your group. Of all the tiny homes I've seen this is one of the more expansive interiors I've seen. The site mentions a $45,000.00 price tag...I'm not sure what model?
http://www.thebackcountryhutcompany.com/

I did read a critique that recommended a wider width... While that would open up some more possibilities, the concept is a flat pack shelter.

Essayons

By Dand

Old 09-30-2017, 07:10   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
Of all the tiny homes I've seen this is one of the more expansive interiors I've seen. The site mentions a $45,000.00 price tag...I'm not sure what model?
http://www.thebackcountryhutcompany.com/
Based on their "buddy per sq ft" It should work out to a dollar,380 per buddy??

937 sq ft,, 16-24 people???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backcountry+hut+company+modular+design.jpg (28.5 KB, 25 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:48   #7
Golf1echo
Area Commander

58 sq.' / person ( aprox. 5' X 12' ). Not a lot of space...more than the little tar paper shack some of us once shared

But 12 people would equate to almost 100 sq.' per person with that configuration ...might be a good thing in cold weather provided Kim Chi was not on the menu Bunks would concentrate the sleeping function adding space for shared living and tasks.

Looking back over the thread I see the site sinjefe posted updated and the shelter has a larger footprint option...the benefit of modularity.

Essayons

By Dand

Old 09-30-2017, 13:11   #8
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
An alternative NEST..

video link: Building Human-Sized Nests

Old 09-30-2017, 14:05   #9
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Human nests. Is tweeting mandatory?

We have remote, off-grid, beach front property on Kodiak Island that we plan to build on someday. Husband has construction experience so he dismisses kits in favor of do-it-yourself. Still looking for that perfect structure.

I like the clean lines and simplicity of the flat pack house. Human bird nests, not so much.

S.
Old 09-30-2017, 20:26   #10
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Kodiak Island? Isn't that brown near country?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:01   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Human nests. Is tweeting mandatory?

We have remote, off-grid, beach front property on Kodiak Island that we plan to build on someday. Husband has construction experience so he dismisses kits in favor of do-it-yourself.

S.
As you'll have plenty of time to read,,
You might want to subscribe??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22096009_1734746503225160_7292827409378981935_o.jpg (77.0 KB, 25 views)

Old 10-01-2017, 14:13   #12
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Panda-Mondium is the Least of It

LOL. Those magazine headlines about sums up our life on a Kodiak beach. (Yes, Mark, it's brown bear territory. We're reminded of that quite often with their company.)

"Solitude is Great, But Men Have Needs" (Sneaking away from the kids, who are asleep in the tent, to have a quiet rendezvous <cough> on a blanket on the sand. Have you ever tried to relax and, well, you know... with the possiblity of the largest of brown bears wandering by? Not terribly romantic. And then there are the sand fleas....)

"Are You Too Sexy For Your Shirt?" (And your fleece. And your rain jacket. And your rain hat... Wait. Wet is supposed to be sexy, right? Wet and steaming from the heat of the fire, smelling like slightly melted synthetic materials. Where do these magazine writers come up with this stuff?)

"Building Bear-Proof Barricades" (There's the cache, 20 feet in the air that we constructed from driftwood logs. This holds our food. Wanna meal? Climb the spikes nailed in the pole, balance on the edge of the platform, dig through 6 drybags for ingredients, send them down in a rope-bucket-pulley thing. Done eating? Reverse the above steps. For the tent we have an electric fence. Wanna know if the fence is working? Have wife touch it.)

I can't wait for a cabin...

Susan