Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 01-24-2004, 16:46   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Survival Kit

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~daugirda/survival1.jpg

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~daugirda/survival2.jpg

A small metal tin-like an Atoids tin, but dedicated-not a repaint. It is coated with baked on OD Alumahyde, an extremely scratch and solvent resistant finish. Inside rides a microtool with pliers, blade, and two screwdrivers; a Maglite Solitare w/ battery, a Bic mini lighter, a liquid filled compass, a hacksaw blade, fishing kit, a selection of matches (3 kinds), a razor blade, a tinder cube, 8 ft of waxed cordage, 8 ft of brass wire, 3 safety pins, a ziplock water storage bag, and an iodine pad. Inside the tin is lined with rigger's tape or 100 mph tape. There are 2 types of strikers inside the lid, and the lid itself is polished enough to serve as a signal mirror (tested). The tin itself is held closed extra tight with a retaining band. Each is labled and serial numbered. Each one is built each one by hand, so special requests can be honored and substitutions made if possible.

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?

Last edited by NousDefionsDoc; 01-24-2004 at 16:50.
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 17:55   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I like it. Needs a whistle, and I would prefer a Photon III over the Solitaire. I like to have a couple of nylon sutures or a needle and some dental floss, and a survival saw.

You selling them, or is someone else?

I can see you with a crew of LBGs, assembling thousands of them in some Ecuadorian sweat shop.

I like this site:

http://www.equipped.com/
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 19:03   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

real survival requires

a real signal mirror.

a real knife.

Both could fit in that kit, forget the pliers and replace with a good Swiss army knife. I do not know of anything (besides demo) that I needed a set of pliers in the field.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 19:23   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

My knife is usually in my pocket, along with a cravat, a Photon, and a lighter.

I would prefer the real signal mirror, and a pilot's signal scarf, which is one of the best kept secrets out there.
Old 01-24-2004, 23:45   #5
brownapple

Quote:
Originally posted by SFG

a pilot's signal scarf, which is one of the best kept secrets out there.
Guess so, what is it?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:31   #6
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

I think he is taking about the aircrew signal panel. The one you stick in your filighsuit and never take out.

Last edited by Psywar1-0; 01-25-2004 at 08:34.
Psywar1-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:59   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I'm not selling them, another guy is. I don't know him, but he seems ok on the internet. Since they are only 25, I'm thinking about giving some as Xmas gifts next year, lol.

I have one similar I built myself. I don't have the fishing kit, and mine's a little heavier on medic stuff. And a real signal mirror.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?

Last edited by NousDefionsDoc; 01-25-2004 at 12:58.
Old 01-26-2004, 14:18   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Greenhat
Guess so, what is it?
Good job, Luke!!

"Panel Marker, Survival, Aviation Personnel"

36"x36" Blaze Orange signal panel on a very fine silk or rayon type material, compresses down to about the size of a golf ball in its packaging. VERY visible, and VERY small when packed. Could probably fit in a film can or stow loose over everything else to minimize rattles.

Beats the heck out of a VS-17 Panel for personal survival use.

NDD, just kidding, and wondering where to get them and how much. But if you do start up the sweatshop idea, I want in!

"Built for Survival by People Practicing it Everyday!"

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 01-26-2004, 14:27   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

This is the email for the guy that's making them:

rbkolkman@comcast.net

phone is 260-744-4594.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-26-2004, 14:48   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

IRT a question about the uses of the signal panel, here is one of them (and the requisite "Glint Tape" to keep Spectre off your ass.

An excellent tip from the recon guys, and this panel breathes much better than the VS-17.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_0126_154617aab.jpg (14.9 KB, 381 views)
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 01-26-2004, 18:48   #11
brownapple

Pilots carry those?

Damn. Learn something new everyday. I carried one of those stuffed into a pocket sewn in the top of my PC for 8 years or so. Always thought it was a piece of panel from an orange parachute.
Old 01-26-2004, 18:58   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Greenhat
Always thought it was a piece of panel from an orange parachute.
Maybe yours was.

The Panel Marker, Survival, Aviation Personnel is stamped with the nomenclature. I had to dig one out to check after Psywar's post.

He was pretty close.

TR

Old 01-27-2004, 10:44   #13
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

Since Helos have changed from just a way to get to work to my work Ive picked up all kinds of neat info LOL.

Back in the old days my go to war bdu top had one of these pannels sewn on the inside back and the whole collar was lined with glint tape.
Old 01-27-2004, 19:43   #14
Razor
Quiet Professional

I pulled this over from www.geardo.com, where I had orignally posted it. Most of it is probably entry-level information for many of you, so please feel free to add your comments and teach all of us something new.

This piece is not a ‘how-to’ on building a personal survival kit. Rather, it’s a collection of ideas and basic concepts you can use when planning and assembling a survival kit that best meets your needs. There are few very good, very comprehensive resources listed at the end of this piece that a reader can use as references on not only survival kits, but on survival skills as well.

How a kit is carried determines the size of the kit and its contents. Obviously, a survival kit that’s kept in a pack, vehicle or structure can include many more items than a kit made to fit in your pocket.

It’s a good idea to make a habit of carrying some survival tools on you at all times, such as a knife, a fire-starter, a signaling device and some cordage. You can use these items to supplement the contents of your survival kit.

A small, pocket-sized survival kit should hold the bare minimum number of items you feel you need to survive; the smaller and lighter the kit, the more likely it is you’ll carry it all the time. Therefore, try to eliminate redundant items (i.e. carrying a lighter, matches and a sparking device, which are all used to start a fire), as this adds weight and bulk. You can add redundant items by building another, larger kit that is carried in a pack, vehicle or elsewhere.

You need to consider your operational environment when building a survival kit. The climate and tactical situation will influence the contents of your kit.

When deciding what items to include in a personal survival kit, try to include items with multiple uses to reduce the size and weight of the kit.

A survival kit should contain items that address:

First Aid
Water
Fire
Signaling
Food
Shelter

You should know how to use all of the items in your survival kit long before you need to use them, and practice using them to increase confidence in your ability (confidence helps reduce stress when you’re in an actual survival situation). This doesn’t mean you spend a weekend in the woods with nothing but your survival kit. You can practice using each item separately, as time permits, in your back yard, if need be, but you should make an effort to use each item in the same manner as you’ll probably use it in a survival situation.

The following list includes ideas for items contained in a small, personally carried kit; multi-use items are marked with asterisk:

First Aid—pain control medication (Ibuprofen/acetaminophen, prescription), bottle of P-I solution*, potassium permanganate*, petrolatum gauze*, small knife*, space blanket*, 100mph/electrical/medical tape*, Band-Aids, military pressure dressing, anti-diarrhea medication, antibiotics, 2x2 gauze sponges, utility knife blades*, cravat*, safety pins*, sunblock in foil packet, antimicrobial waterless hand lotion, magnifying glass*

Water—potassium permanganate*, P-I solution*, bottle of bleach, heavy duty plastic bag, baby bottle disposable liner, oven-safe baking bags

Fire—Bic lighter, magnesium block w/ flint and steel or other sparking device, petrolatum gauze*, cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, dryer lint, commercial tinder products, waterproof matches, potassium permanganate* & sugar*, candle*, magnifying glass*

Signaling—signal mirror, whistle, day-glow plastic tape, cravat*, small LED light*

Food—snare wire, small knife*, bullion cubes, hard candy, heat-resistant chocolate, fishing line, hooks/sinkers/swivels, 550 cord*, sugar packets*, tea bags, utility knife blades*

Shelter—small knife*, 550 cord*, space blanket*, cravat*, safety pins*, garbage bag*

Misc—button compass, small saw blade, 100mph/electrical/medical tape*, heavy-duty sewing needle, paper and pencil, small LED light*, candle*, wire saw, whetstone or other knife hone, aluminum foil, garbage bag*, magnifying glass*

Note: This list is neither a ‘required items’ listing, nor is it comprehensive. Rather, it is meant to stimulate ideas and give examples to follow when assembling a survival kit to meet your personal needs/capabilities. Items with a “shelf life” should be listed on the outside of the kit along with their expiration date, and replaced as needed.

Good survival resources

Tom Brown’s Field Guide to Wilderness Survival, by Tom Brown
Boy Scouts of America Handbook, Fieldbook and merit badge books on survival, first aid and pioneering
www.equipped.com
SAS Survival Guide, by John Wiseman
US Army Field Manual 21-76, Survival, June 1992

Last edited by Razor; 01-27-2004 at 22:52.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 19:53   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Excellent post, I had seen it on EggRoll's site.

Thanks!

TR