Old 08-06-2009, 06:51   #1
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Canteen Straw Mod

Perhaps you have seen the TABS canteen straw that lets you drink from a 1 qt, 2 qt, or 5 qt GI canteen:

http://www.genjax.com/browse.cfm/4,3607.html

The PX, General Jackson's, and others sell it for about $15.

I made a few mods to it.

1. Cut off the drinking tube about 1.5" from the top of the cap.

2. Insert a Camelbak filter adapter into the plastic tube

http://www.camelbak.com/government-m...r-adapter.aspx

3. Use a standard Camelbak drinking tube.

http://www.camelbak.com/government-m.../tube-kit.aspx

It will now clip onto your canteen straw via the adapter.

4. Use the Hydro plug to cap the line so it won't spill if you remove the Camelbak drininging tube. Makes filling the 2 qt much eaiser

http://www.camelbak.com/government-m...port-plug.aspx

The PX Clothing Sales store at Ft Bragg had all the Camelbak parts in stock

I use one with q 2qt canteen on the outside of my ALICE pack. I run the tube up through the shoulder starp and I have easy access to the drinking tube.

Drink on the march with your ALICE!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2qt with camelback.jpg (63.9 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 2qt with camelbak plug.jpg (73.4 KB, 307 views)
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26   #2
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Also, with this mod you can now use the Camelbak in-line filter with your 2qt canteen. Filters to 0.2 microns.

http://www.camelbak.com/government-m...crofilter.aspx
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Great Mod,,

I can use this for my hunting day pack. I still carry one of the old 5 qt bladders..

Thanks

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoresteen View Post
Also, with this mod you can now use the Camelbak in-line filter with your 2qt canteen. Filters to 0.2 microns.

http://www.camelbak.com/government-m...crofilter.aspx
Now that is a excellent idea!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:02   #5
SF0
Guerrilla

Great idea. Already have the canteen straw, just need to pick up the CamelBak items.
SF0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:18   #6
SB_Pete
Asset

(kind of a necropost I know, but the mod is still useful and here's some extra info).

One added step, I prefer to use the Hydrolink conversion kit that I was originally running with the SFAS canteen straw mod (**see below).
1. Buy Canteen straw conversion kit (~$10 ea @ GenJax or C&S)
2. Cut off tube close to canteen cap and add Hydrolink conversion kit
- Rubbing alcohol or Bic lighter help - don't be a jackass and set it on fire though.
- The rubbing alcohol is for lube - you put it on Hydrolink conversion tip before finagling it into the straw tube.
- Other method is to put Hydrolink tip into freezer for ~1/2hr then heat the tube to make it malleable. the tube is heated (expanded) and the tip is cold (shrunk) so they fit together nicely and then form a good seal once the temps equalize.
This gives you an inline quick-disconnect with a shut-off valve.
3. Add Hydrolink Filter Adapter to bladder end of drinking tube. You can either use the existing tube (taped and mouthpiece converted as described below), or cut off the female adapter at the end of your (better) insulated Hydrolink Tube kit and install the (male) filter adapter.

PARTS:
1. Canteen Straw conversion kit <$10/ea @ Military Clothing & Sales.
2. Hydrolink conversion kit (~$8/ea @ Mil C&S)
3. Hydrolink Filter Adapter (~$7/ea)
4. (Optional) Hydrolink Tube kit ($15-$20/ea)
This is PER Bladder, so you'll probably need/want at least two of everything. Although you can also do this with one qts and route the straw through your FLC if you like (for drink mixes / ORS packets, etc.)

If you have already spent $20 converting the existing hoses, 'F it - good enough. If you're starting from scratch then the extra $5-$10/ea to get the Camelbak straws is prob worth it. It's either spend $8-$10/ea upgrading the mouthpieces of the existing straws, or spend $15-$20 on better tubes that already have the better-sealing QD mouthpieces.

Another couple things you can do:
1. When 550 cord securing the bladders to the ruck, use a secure slip knot like a double-stoppered fisherman's (or the shittier mil std sq knot with a half hitch safety if you're a traditionalist) to the bladder. Do this again with a separate piece to the ruck. Make two safetied end-of-line bowline loops and use a carabiner or S-Biner for a quick disconnect of your safety line as well.

2. If you run a Molle Ruck, go buy the PALS compatible 2-Qt holders made by TRU-Spec / Atlantco. $14/ea at GenJax in ACU (cheaper online). They secure better to the ruck. They also make it easier to attach to the higher up PALS webbing made for the sustainment pouches. The higher the bladders are, the easier it is to drink out of them through the straw (less gravity and all...).

** The standard SOPC/SFPC & SFAS thing now (2011) is to get the canteen straw kit from GenJax or Clothing&Sales and cut off the crappy tip they come with (they leak) then add the Hydrolink conversion kit to give you a Camelbak mouthpiece. Then you 100mph tape the sleeve at both ends (they tend to ride up and expose the clear tube, bunch up, collect land nav debris, etc.). This is good, but can be cumbersome when you want to pull the bladders for refill or weight checks.

Hope that helps,
-Pete
SB_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:28   #7
SB_Pete
Asset

On a side note to the above, the male end of the Camelbak civvie side Quick Link Conversion Kit looks to be a better seal than the Hydrolink filter adapter. Basically a male end equivalent to the female part of the Hydrolink Conversion Kit Doesn't have a shut off valve and only comes in bright ass blue though.

Anyone know if CB or anyone else sells just the male end of these?
SB_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote