Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 21:58   #181
Viking
Quiet Professional

Starting The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz in about ten minutes.
Old 03-14-2009, 22:19   #182
Richard
Quiet Professional

Alternate Gettysburgs - What if the battle of Gettysburg resulted in a different victory? 12 original stories and 4 essays of what 'might have been' by authors like Harold Coyle.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 03-14-2009, 23:17   #183
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Hope and Honor

I am reading the 400 page autobiography of my former commander in Berlin - Sidney Shacnow. I have to admit, that I jumped straight to page 350 and read his assessment of our little unit behind the wall. I was actually surprized that he mentioned it at all and even more surprized at some the mission related detail he put in it - but he is a retired Major General - better him than me.

For those who don't know, he is a holocaust survivor - came to the US after the war, grew up in Boston (got an accent there too). Elisted in the army; after a few years, went to OCS, and bit by bit found himself as the Commander of JFKSWSC and the Special Forces Command. He became a MG in spite of the fact that he spent over 30 years in SF or Sp Ops assignments.

I am now back at the front of the book - and going to work my way back to page 350.
Old 03-14-2009, 23:21   #184
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Just finished "Five Years to Freedom" by Nick Rowe (2nd time reading it)

Reading some entertaining Mack Bolan books now.
About 20 years ago, I bought 6 copies of this book - gave them to friends and family - I thought it was a story they should know - most read it and were in awe of the story told there.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:39   #185
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Currently reading: "The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington" by Jennet Conant. So far, so good.
Old 03-21-2009, 19:01   #186
Plutarch
Auxiliary

The 5000 Year Leap - W. Cleon Skousen
Old 03-21-2009, 23:49   #187
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Currently reading: "The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington" by Jennet Conant. So far, so good.
Never Realized Roald Dahl had any thing to do with the "Dark Side." All I ever knew about him was that he wrote quirky children's books and was married to Patricia Neal.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58   #188
RTK
Guerrilla

Two Wars, by Nate Self

Nate was the Ranger platoon leader on Robert's Ridge in March 2002. This is an amazing story of his platoon in battle and his personal battle in dealing with PTSD afterwards. It's a story of faith and his relationship with a loving wife, his Soldiers, and God.

Nate and I have worked on seperate items for both companycommand and platoonleader forums. He's an amazing individual and this is a great book.

Worth the read.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:31   #189
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Never Realized Roald Dahl had any thing to do with the "Dark Side." All I ever knew about him was that he wrote quirky children's books and was married to Patricia Neal.
It was news to me, too! I used to read his stories to kids at my children's school (when they were little). I found them a bit "around the bend" at times - but the kids loved them. It is, so far, a very interesting book about a very interesting time.
Old 03-22-2009, 15:40   #190
Bones25U
Asset

On "On Combat"

"On Combat" is a great read. Almost got all the way through "On Killing", and I can tell you that "Combat" is MUCH better. Well written and makes good points. The section on school shootings is only going to prove itself more relevant, unfortunately.
Old 03-22-2009, 21:56   #191
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It was news to me, too! I used to read his stories to kids at my children's school (when they were little). I found them a bit "around the bend" at times - but the kids loved them. It is, so far, a very interesting book about a very interesting time.
Nothing to do with the book ZD, but I'll give you a nickle if you can guess the name of the instructor who signed off on my PADI Open Water Card?
Old 03-22-2009, 22:52   #192
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Nothing to do with the book ZD, but I'll give you a nickle if you can guess the name of the instructor who signed off on my PADI Open Water Card?
Hmmmm. Well, I hope it wasn't me. If so, my case of CRS (or "Sometimer's Disease, as my nephews call it - Sometimes he remembers, sometimes he doesn't...) is worse than I thought.

Since you are in Texas, I'll guess Earl Weaver. 2nd guess - one of the PADI-Daddies - Cronin or Erickson????
Old 03-22-2009, 23:05   #193
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Hmmmm. Well, I hope it wasn't me. If so, my case of CRS (or "Sometimer's Disease, as my nephews call it - Sometimes he remembers, sometimes he doesn't...) is worse than I thought.

Since you are in Texas, I'll guess Earl Weaver. 2nd guess - one of the PADI-Daddies - Cronin or Erickson????

I made a mistake - the name I was thinking of was not on my OW card, its on my DIVEMASTER Card.

The Name is Mike Nelson. (actually Mike A. Nelson) - anyway - every time I took that card some place new - they thought it was a joke.

The card is dated 11/25/79 I have not made a dive in 20 years now - do these cards ever expire?

Mitch
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46   #194
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

Re-reading Kiss the Boys Goodbye, by Monika Jensen Stevenson.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
Old 03-24-2009, 05:25   #195
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Mike A. Nelson
There's a name I hadn't thought about in years - he was A-12 (primary SCUBA Team) TMSGT in Bad Tolz when I was there. Two friends on that team went to the 'stockade' at the same time I opted for OCS - one spent a lot of time in LA (Boykin mentions him a lot) and one was pretty messed up on Eagle Claw. Just random memories.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Closed Thread