Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 09-28-2018, 20:19   #46
Badger52
Area Commander

So here we are and the Cubs took care of business with the Cards today, who are no push-overs. And actually hoping the Tigers (yes, I said an AL team) will come back to give the Brewers a loss, but they are another team that has played some reeeeally good ball this year. Never easy in the NL-Central; will probably come down to last game of this last weekend. What a hairball, but looks pretty tame compared to SCOTUS nomination hearings.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 21:29   #47
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Just watched a good game, rockies clinched WC berth.
1 point from their first division championship.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 14:58   #48
Sdiver
Area Commander

Have I ever said how much I HATE the St. Louis Cards ...
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 15:13   #49
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Have I ever said how much I HATE the St. Louis Cards ...
If you need something to do you could put a Mojo on the Tigers tonight to beat the Brewers... askin' for a friend.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 09-29-2018, 16:54   #50
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Go Brewers! I can’t stand the Cubs. Would like nothing more than seeing them denied the Division title. And an early playoff exit to boot.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 20:08   #51
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Must say, we end up watching Brewers games because of the selling off of games to MLB cartel. It's the only way to see Cubs because the local Fox station covers all Brewers games, and replays 'em for shift workers. They look like such a different team this year. That kid Yelich is a GOOD lookin' ball player and imo one of the very best acquisitions they've made. He has great traditional baseball career written on him if he keeps his stuff together.
Another reason I like Yelich, which I didn't mention in my earlier post, and which is unrelated to his baseball talent, is the evident pride he has in his Marine brother, which he noted both in the Marlins exhibition game at Fort Bragg a few years back and during the World Baseball Classic. Sgt. Cameron Yelich got to throw out the first pitch at yesterday's game, and see his brother have a pretty good game.

A fun scenario would be for the Rockies and Brewers to take their divisions, and the defending NL Central and NL West forced into a single-elimination wildcard game.

I'm kind of conflicted, in that as a long-time Northern Virginia resident, I am rooting for the Nats over the Rockies, but at the same time I'd like the Rockies to win the NL East, because I am tired of the Dodgers and LA in general.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 21:11   #52
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Go Brewers! I can’t stand the Cubs. Would like nothing more than seeing them denied the Division title. And an early playoff exit to boot.
Well you might get your wish. Down to the last game on the last day tomorrow. And if a tie still results, Brewers go to Wrigley for tie-breaker because of Cubs' better record against them -- which is not good because both play each other better on the road & the Brewers have loved coming to Wrigley this year. What a hairball.

Old 09-30-2018, 18:18   #53
Airbornelawyer

Kind of an anti-climactic Sunday. All four relevant games were pretty much blowouts. No change to the standings, forcing two Game 163's.

Elsewhere, a lot of fan appreciation for Adam Jones, and the Orioles managed to at least end a dismal season with a win.
Old 09-30-2018, 18:23   #54
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
Kind of an anti-climactic Sunday.
Yeah, and "moving" day probably for some team staff/management.

Cubs fan or not, I will be surprised if Christian Yelich doesn't end up NL MVP. That kid is somethin'.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:17   #55
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
Kind of an anti-climactic Sunday. All four relevant games were pretty much blowouts. No change to the standings, forcing two Game 163's.

Elsewhere, a lot of fan appreciation for Adam Jones, and the Orioles managed to at least end a dismal season with a win.
The O's won on Opening Day and the closing game...the everything in between was just a WHOLE lotta Bad.
We'll see if the management has it in them to rebuild and get a "Houston bounce". They'll be a lot of unknown names on the roster for the next 2 -3 years. Indications are the Showalter will go and Duquette will stay. Strange that they aren't completely cleaning house but there are a lot of factors in ownership and front office that are rumored to be in flux now.

The post season will be interesting to watch. The regular season had very little drama in the AL but there is some momentum in play that will most likely have more to do with the outcome than anything in the regular season.

Bring on October ball.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 23:11   #56
Badger52
Area Commander

13 innings. Had opportunities & didn't cash in. Adios Cubbies; Rockies headed to a Brewers team that has peaked at just the right time.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:31   #57
Airbornelawyer

The Rockies are 10-2 in their last 12 games, including the WC, so they're peaking at the right time as well.

Well-pitched game for both teams. Somehow I don't think the A's-Yankees game is going to be a pitcher's duel, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:46   #58
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Great game last night.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:54   #59
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Cubbies and Rockies game was reflective of the entire season.

Agree, I'm pretty sure A's -v- Yanks doesn't go down as a pitching duel but will be a matter of launch angle and exit velocity.

A's closed out the season 6-4... Yankees 7-3 and they are tied up in their regular season match-ups 3-3.

I'll pull for the A' s simply because they are not the Yankees.

R10

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:51   #60
bblhead672
Area Commander

I think its going to be an interesting post season contest this year.

Surprising to see the Cubs eliminated. Brewers and Rockies (and the Dodgers) hit all the marks when it mattered the most.

Sad to see the Cardinals fade the last 12 games, the organization needs new front office people to build a more competitive team. Never should have let Jeff Luhnow depart, he would have been much better GM than Mozeliak has proven to be.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote