Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 04-12-2004, 19:20   #16
QuietShootr

Damn, man, you can order SIs for $75 and US mades for $125 through the military sales program...the Shooter's Pack glasses (3 lenses and a case) are only $100!
Old 04-12-2004, 19:33   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Oakley Boots

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
He's talking about dollars BMT, not wampum.
Maybe he thought it was MPC, Scrip, or Piasters.

Let's not get them posting the bar chits again.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:02   #18
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by QuietShootr
Damn, man, you can order SIs for $75 and US mades for $125 through the military sales program...the Shooter's Pack glasses (3 lenses and a case) are only $100!
NOW you tell Me!!!

Oh Well, You can't take it with you and I will just have to be satisfied that my squandered money went to funding some Chinese child's sweatshop experience
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:15   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
NOW you tell Me!!!

Oh Well, You can't take it with you and I will just have to be satisfied that my squandered money went to funding some Chinese child's sweatshop experience
You seem to catch on pretty fast.

Must be in the genes. Good job AM.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 04-13-2004, 10:33   #20
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Yup, That's Me: Thouroghly Corrupted and loving it for 20 + years now
Old 04-13-2004, 12:25   #21
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I got mine at the Oakley outlet store, and they were still $225. They must be in demand.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 00:02   #22
QuietShootr

I'll order them if two or three other folks want to get in on it to donate and defray the cost of MY pair.

SIs for $75, US for $125. Shipping we'd have to work out individually.

Last edited by QuietShootr; 04-15-2004 at 00:07.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:08   #23
SERPENT5XX
Quiet Professional

Oakley Boots

Gentlemen,

I purchased several pairs of Oakley Boots prior to deploying. It is a long story how I ended up with so many pair, but here is my take on them.
There are two different versions. The made in a China version and the made in the Good Old US of A version. The US version has more suede construction especially on the toe and heel. The China version has plastic fabric in this area. There are two different colors of these boots. Black and Tan (not beer). They are alike except for the color but the tan boots reflect the same differences in construction between USA and China manufacture. How are they? These boots remind me of High-Tec or tennis-shoe style boots. Overall they are comfortable but not really durable for field use especially in rocky terrain. These boots are also pretty warm. My take is they are great for urban or garrison type wear. The cool factor is high and the chicks dig them. If I remember the price was $75 Military dealer for China Black, $95 for USA black and $95 for China Tan. I cannot remember how much the USA tan was.
If you want a boot that is comfortable in an urban environment try the Thorogood SEB boots. I have a pair that I have been wearing over here in addition to the Oakley boots and the Thorogood boots are almost as comfortable as the Oakley boots but are more durable. The SEBs also grips better on wet surfaces that the Oakley boots. The color is unique. It is an OD green-ish tan color.
Good luck and what ever you’all get, please give us some feedback on what you think of them.

Clay
SERPENT5XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:30   #24
QuietShootr

I was thinking about the Desert Acadias, too..but they look kind of heavy.

How are folks liking the regular issue boot?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:47   #25
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

serpent is correct. The Oakleys are designed and constructed to be an urban assault boot. The are designed to be worn on concrete. You should always have more than one pair of any boots and rotate them daily if possible. If you plan on making these your daily wear, I would suggest at least 3 pair. If you wear them for other than their intended purpose, you mileage will vary.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 13:52   #26
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I have worn mine to work twice now. LOL
Old 04-20-2004, 07:07   #27
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Re: Oakley Boots

Quote:
Originally posted by BMT
Damn boots @ $225.00 a pair!! HTF did we make it with $18.95 Cochrans and cheaper jungle boots!

BMT

SR FOG
See, the difference between you FOGs and us young guys is that we dont want the bad knees/backs when we retire. Tactical technology, expensive, but well worth it. If only I could get my wife to realize this LOL .
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:31   #28
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Re: Oakley Boots

Quote:
Originally posted by BMT
Damn boots @ $225.00 a pair!! HTF did we make it with $18.95 Cochrans and cheaper jungle boots!

BMT

SR FOG
$18.95 in 1968, adjusted for inflation through 2003, is about $100.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:42   #29
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Re: Oakley Boots

Quote:
Originally posted by pbr549xxx
See, the difference between you FOGs and us young guys is that we dont want the bad knees/backs when we retire. Tactical technology, expensive, but well worth it. If only I could get my wife to realize this LOL .
If that is your concern, maybe you should consider a new line of work not involving rucking or jumping.

I really doubt that a set or three of Oakleys is going to make that much of a difference in your orthopedic health in the long run.

It is the activity, not the gear.

TR

Old 04-20-2004, 09:10   #30
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I really like my Oakleys thus far(of course if I didn't like them, do you think I would admit it after what I paid) the rubbery plastic toes scratch easily but other than that and the lack of traction on wet ground, They're great.