Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 06-20-2005, 23:45   #31
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
And what are SF guys doing with clear nail polish?

Be gentle... Frank
Chigger killer med.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 15:38   #32
Guy
Quiet Professional

Sounds like "crabs" to me...

Take care.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 15:44   #33
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy
Sounds like "crabs" to me...

Take care.
You mean, "Graybacks", "Seam Squirrels" or "Livestock"?

These are all old logging terms for the critters you speak of Guy.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 18:09   #34
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Prevention

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE AND IS PROVIDED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
USER ASSUMES OWN RISK FOR SELF-TREATMENT. SEE A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

Now that we've got that out of the way (BTW How'd I do ABNL & Roguish Lawyer?)

PREVENTION. An ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of Cure.
Here's some of the tricks I used before going into critter country:

- Permithrin. Pre-treat your Uniforms with it.

- Flea & Tick Collar. Put one in your pocket (nothing that touches the skin).

- Bug Spray (Deep Woods OFF, etc) around your ankles, waist, fly(zipper), chest buttons and neckline and head...basically any area that is exposed or where they can crawl into you to reach skin. Spray your hat as well.

EARLY INTERVENTION. Conduct tick checks on a regular basis (at least once every 12 hours). Make it a habit to check yourself out thoroughly. Have a buddy check areas you can see like your back. This early in the game a good set of tweasers will get them out easily. Spend the money on a good set (not the Wal-maart specail, go with a $7+ set with a narrow head...makes it easier to see what you are grabbing and get the head of the little bastards.

LATE INTERVENTION. Depends where you are and who's around to help. In garrison or at home, see a Doc, PA or 18D. Get professional help if available. If you're in the back woods, you'll have to make the call. In the event you decide to be Rambo and cut it out to treat yourself, clean it with alcohol, bandage cleanly and get it checked at first opportunity. Continue to check and clean it at least every 12 hours until you can get it checked by a Doc.

Hope this helps,
Warrior-Mentor

Last edited by Warrior-Mentor; 06-26-2005 at 20:49.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 17:58   #35
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Now you jinxed me and I am NOT happy about it!!!
We were out playing OP4 the other day and I looked down to see ticks SWARMING all over me. Most of them were babies, really tiny. Damn near lost my mind. I ended up pulling three off my left leg and one out of my right armpit. And yes, they do leave nasty bumps and itch for a couple of weeks. This has happened to me the last two times I have been bitten. Much like a mosquito bit, but a longer lasting itchy effect. Reminds me of a spider bite, as a matter of fact.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:29   #36
hellokitty
Asset

tick removal

Hi all, the area i live in is rather well infested with ticks and as such i have removed quite a few, a little known trick is to pull the tick out in a counter clockwise direction as when they go in it is in a clockwise manner , for after care euchalyptus oil is the way to go , it is a natural anti septic and smells nice to boot , also dont forget ticks are carriers of lyme disease so anti biotics may also be a smart move if the ticks have been on you for a un determined amount of time. all the best. kitty
hellokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 19:57   #37
Archangel
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsSix
Now you jinxed me and I am NOT happy about it!!!
We were out playing OP4 the other day and I looked down to see ticks SWARMING all over me. Most of them were babies, really tiny. Damn near lost my mind. I ended up pulling three off my left leg and one out of my right armpit. And yes, they do leave nasty bumps and itch for a couple of weeks. This has happened to me the last two times I have been bitten. Much like a mosquito bit, but a longer lasting itchy effect. Reminds me of a spider bite, as a matter of fact.
Nasty bumps for a few weeks? It's been over 2 & a half months & I still have nasty dark looking bumps from where they bit me. I'm about to go to AT this week & they're going to be out there in full force!

If I can make it through these next two weeks w/o ending up on the menu, then I know I can make it through the Q.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 20:02   #38
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
If I can make it through these next two weeks w/o ending up on the menu, then I know I can make it through the Q.
dayum, what would happen if you got a leech on you?????????
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 20:29   #39
AngelsSix
Area Commander

Mine are still itching, but they are healing...........I wonder if pulling them out leaves an infection........I asked my folks and they do not remember this happening with using Vasilene to make the ticks to back out
]

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
Old 07-11-2005, 22:24   #40
Dustin03
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
Nasty bumps for a few weeks? It's been over 2 & a half months & I still have nasty dark looking bumps from where they bit me. I'm about to go to AT this week & they're going to be out there in full force!

Same here, still have two dark areas on my body where I was bit. I'm bathing in "bug juice" and chig away before I show up
Dustin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 22:42   #41
AngelsSix
Area Commander

I just finished a book about how the govt was experimenting with ticks as a disease vector..........imagine that.

- Victor Davis Hanson
Old 07-12-2005, 07:14   #42
Archangel
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve
dayum, what would happen if you got a leech on you?????????
I got rid of her months ago.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:52   #43
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Resurrection - it's summer

Guys -
there is one 'jungle remedy' that was completely bypassed here. COL M, CPT might be able to back me up, but it worked for me in the lands of Lyme (TX, MA, NC, GA, NY, NJ, PA) - works for most bugs - chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes, flies.

match heads - po tt bid (for nonmedics - by mouth 2 tabs twice a day) takes 2 days to load the phosphorus and sulfur into the sweat, no harmful effects, no smell, and matches (I hope) still come in MREs.

I learned this trick from an SF CSM who swore by it - I used it and still swear by it.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:57   #44
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_sf_med
no harmful effects
Really?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 13:30   #45
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Most of the mental effects were caused by SFQC as far as anybody's been able to tell - the match heads just keep the bugs away - I guess there could be harmful effects if the person using this Px method were allergic to either Sulfur or Phosphorus (not the white kind , everybody is allergic to that, ouch) - but those kinds of allergies would have excuded them from SF anyway since they are major components of gunpowder....

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote