Old 03-17-2008, 07:33   #46
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Biltzz - Went to Rough Terrain School on Taiwan. Someone told me I was teh lst active duty guy with Taiwanese wings when I retired. Don't know if that was true or not but I do know I was the youngest guy on my team when we went. First stayed in Ping Tung and then moved, due to an incident to the Hotel Love River, next to the Love River. Talk about pollution!

If you want some fun at range go with a Sako .338 Lapua. That will ring a target at 1600 easy. The 30.06 is running out of juice by then.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 14:02   #47
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

338 lapua...yep

I was young also 20 but we trained on OKI and did get three jumps in Taiwan. Did you get a chance to go to Pato's mountian.

I have probably about stopped loading the 30-06 for 1600 meters. I've got a super nice load for 1300 meters that also builds a ragged hole at 100. They shot so well at 100 meters that I put 15 rounds 14 in same hole and one touching the hole. I believe I'll keep this recepe, it doesn't even recoil much. Am using IMR 4065 and it's really smooth. also the 240 gr Sierra HTBT carries .711 BC. I also shoot an 1874 Sharps repo in 45-110. I need to be more consistent loading the black powder.

While you were on Oki did you get a chance to work at Camp Hardy? I was there during the "matsuda boys" days. Blitz I have been seriously considering a 338 Lap. What do you shoot at with? BLITZ
sorry i just saw you said SAKO blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 16:28   #48
Merlyn
Asset

Talk about feeling old... SAFAsia-- '71-74.
Merlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 23:33   #49
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
I was young also 20 but we trained on OKI and did get three jumps in Taiwan. Did you get a chance to go to Pato's mountian.

I have probably about stopped loading the 30-06 for 1600 meters. I've got a super nice load for 1300 meters that also builds a ragged hole at 100. They shot so well at 100 meters that I put 15 rounds 14 in same hole and one touching the hole. I believe I'll keep this recepe, it doesn't even recoil much. Am using IMR 4065 and it's really smooth. also the 240 gr Sierra HTBT carries .711 BC. I also shoot an 1874 Sharps repo in 45-110. I need to be more consistent loading the black powder.

While you were on Oki did you get a chance to work at Camp Hardy? I was there during the "matsuda boys" days. Blitz I have been seriously considering a 338 Lap. What do you shoot at with? BLITZ
sorry i just saw you said SAKO blitz
I was 25 when I went through Taiwan's Rough Terrain School and I did not get to jump on Oki rough terrain due to TDYs. Not sure that was a bad thing as I have listened to t he tales of long humps up the mountain to get to the road.

That 45-110 Sharps will give you wallop when you shoot it if you are not hanging on.

Worked Camp Hardy for only a 90 day period. Was up there numerous times for either Sage Warrior or demo training or some other in the CTA and NTA.

It was definitely fun times though.

Merlyn, I was there the same time period as was Blitzzz

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:04   #50
Pendraghon
Quiet Professional

Been there and still have the t-shirt...

Did -

84-85 B/3-1
85-88 C/1-1
88-90 SFAS
90-97 C/1-1
97-98 HHC 3-1 and retired...
Pendraghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 15:27   #51
hondoj11
Asset

Hooah partner! My name is Hondo and I'm an old 1SFG(A) guy from 1972-1974, back during the smoke bomb hill and beat your boot days. Man what a life. Went back to Bragg last year (for the first time in 10 years) and couldn't believe it. Hayes street is now a tourist attraction, but Bruce the gay beret is still there, so I guess the old days are not over. At 53 years old, I just did my 131st jump with my bud from 1/75 at HAAF GA. Man what a rush! Take care brother and as I tell my grandson, life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times life takes your breath away! Live hard die pretty; Hondo
hondoj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 15:30   #52
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondoj11 View Post
Hooah partner! My name is Hondo and I'm an old 1SFG(A) guy from 1972-1974, back during the smoke bomb hill and beat your boot days. Man what a life. Went back to Bragg last year (for the first time in 10 years) and couldn't believe it. Hayes street is now a tourist attraction, but Bruce the gay beret is still there, so I guess the old days are not over. At 53 years old, I just did my 131st jump with my bud from 1/75 at HAAF GA. Man what a rush! Take care brother and as I tell my grandson, life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times life takes your breath away! Live hard die pretty; Hondo

Welcome aboard Hondo.

Did you read your registration message we sent you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 15:30   #53
hondoj11
Asset

I am an old 1st grp guy from probably before you were born 72-76. Enjoyed my time and met some[ real heros. better to be smart than safe, lots more fun!
Old 10-25-2008, 00:22   #54
DeMo180a
Quiet Professional

Location: High ground somewhere in the GREAT Pacific Northwest
Hey all,
I was there from 93-05, then did my last two years at DET-West before recently retiring.

I served on 141 as an 18E, did a rotation in Haiti with 140 as the commo geek, then went back to 141 and did another rotation into Haiti.

From 99-03 I served on 153, as the Detachment Warrant to include the 1st rotation in the PI fighting the WOT.

I did my last stint on ODA154, before they moved me over to the Special Activities Cell at 2nd BN where I did my Afghanistan rotation.

Great to get plugged back into the brethren now that I've been retired for a few months. I've hung my hat locally in Pierce County and expect to see most of you at the golf tourneys, the SF Chapter meetings and the SHOT Show in Jan 09!

Ken "DeMo" DeMaria
DeMo180a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:24   #55
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Welcome aboard Demo! Great to see you again. Hey, before the powers that be zero in, don't forget to post your intro in the proper area if you haven't already.

Mike
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27   #56
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondoj11 View Post
I am an old 1st grp guy from probably before you were born 72-76. Enjoyed my time and met some[ real heros. better to be smart than safe, lots more fun!
I doubt that you were there before I was born since I got there in 71.

Now did you answer TR's question?

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17   #57
hdgb
Quiet Professional

Cabin Beach

Left 7th SF for OKI w cabin beach
Signal co 1983-1985
183, Ft lewis 1986-1988 in the old world war two bldgs on north fort.
165, 166, 145 1990-1994 Ft Lewis on new compound

Good times!
hdgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46   #58
CLIMBNRG
Asset

B/3/1 94-98

18C on 182 and 183 before heading to Bco 96th and then to SWTG S-3. Currently living and working in and out of Kuwait. Best to all.

Doug R.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

To put yourself into a situation where a mistake cannot necessarily be recouped, where the life you lose may be your own, clears the head wonderfully. It puts domestic problems back into proportion and adds an element of seriousness to your drab, routine life. Perhaps this is one reason why climbing has become increasingly hard as society has become increasingly, disproportionately, coddling. A. Alvarez , The Games Climbers Play
CLIMBNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:07   #59
a6fan1127
Asset

Anybody remember?

Estep's party at Torii with the flatbed and party favors from the PI?
a6fan1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59   #60
hdgb
Quiet Professional

Estep's Party

Ya i was there for that
flat bed truck with band keggars and like you mentioned live party favors from the PI . "We are going to war this week boys" One leg shorter than the other from nam incident, good times in the rebirth stage of 1st grp OKI. When the club was up on the hill it was a nightly blast. Anybody remember the fight involving the piccalo player or something, officer's club, formal ball hehehehe.
Freddie M ?
hdgb is offline   Reply With Quote