Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-12-2018, 17:13   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
12 cigars a day and drinks 4 cups of whiskey

A day late, but he is still with us..

Richard Overton, America’s oldest WWII veteran

Yesterday he turned 112 years old.

He states that he smokes 12 cigars a day and drinks 4 cups of whiskey in the morning. That’s the key to a long life, according to Richard.

Happy Birthday Richard
My Hero

I only need 42 more yrs to beat his record :]

http://www.whiskeyriff.com/2018/05/1...hiskey-cigars/

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:59   #2
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

That old boy must have some money. I think your average cigar is around $8.00. He would have to be paying somewhere around $60 to $120 per day. The cigar I smoke is $12 and I only smoke them on the weekends with a glass of wine or a couple of beers.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I love a Cuban Cohiba, the Robusto size,, but I also low craw with the 3USD specials.

He may also be stretching the FACTS, as VVFOG's are known to elaborate while they inebriate.. :]

Old 05-14-2018, 13:20   #4
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I love a Cuban Cohiba, the Robusto size,, but I also low craw with the 3USD specials.

He may also be stretching the FACTS, as VVFOG's are known to elaborate while they inebriate.. :]
He does not drink the booze he flavors his soup with it

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 18:18   #5
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis View Post
That old boy must have some money. I think your average cigar is around $8.00. He would have to be paying somewhere around $60 to $120 per day. The cigar I smoke is $12 and I only smoke them on the weekends with a glass of wine or a couple of beers.
Cigars were much cheaper during most of his days.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 22:10   #6
tonyz
Area Commander

R.I.P.

Richard Overton, nation’s oldest man and WWII vet, dies at 112

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181...et-dies-at-112

Austin resident Richard Overton, who was America’s oldest man and oldest war veteran, died Thursday. Overton, who was honored for his military service and beloved for his propensity to enjoy his supercentenarian status with a cigar in one hand and a glass of whiskey in another, was 112 years old.

He died Thursday evening at a rehabilitation facility in Austin, said his cousin Volma Overton Jr. Before entering the rehab facility on Christmas Eve, he had been hospitalized with pneumonia at St. David’s Medical Center for more than a week.

Overton was well-known to his neighbors, who often chatted with him on his porch in East Austin during the 72 years he lived there. Over the past few years, people from all over the country got a chance to know him as well, as he received increasing national attention for his age and his service in World War II.

For several of his recent birthdays, he welcomed the community into his front yard to celebrate. People from all over Central Texas arrived to say hello and gift him a birthday card — or, if they knew Overton’s favorite pastimes, a bottle of whiskey or a box of cigars.

During Richard Overton’s 111th birthday celebration, Volma Overton Jr. said it felt like Christmas, watching everyone line up to take a photo and share a gift with his cousin.

“It looks like everybody’s getting ready to take a picture with Santa Claus — and he never turns anyone down,” Volma Overton said. “He’s an open person to everybody, and he wanted everyone who was in town who wanted to come by to come by.”

Born in St. Mary’s in Bastrop County on May 11, 1906, Richard Overton enlisted in the Army in 1942, nine months after the Pearl Harbor attack. He served in the Pacific theater — including Guam, Okinawa and Iwo Jima — until 1945, when he left the service.

Overton told the American-Statesman’s Ken Herman in 2013 that he had landed on more beaches under fire than he could remember. He also remembered ducking bullets in foxholes and clearing bodies from fields of battle.

After the war, he worked in furniture stores and later the state treasurer’s office when future Texas Gov. Ann Richards ran the agency.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:02   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
R.I.P.

Richard Overton, nation’s oldest man and WWII vet, dies at 112
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios

Old 12-28-2018, 12:03   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

RIP, Sir.

Thanks for your service.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 13:14   #9
Sohei
Area Commander

Rest In Peace, Mr. Overton and thank you for your service!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:09   #10
Penn
Area Commander

Blue skies. RIP. Thank you for your service.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote