Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 11-17-2014, 11:39   #1
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Ft Bragg opens housing to retirees, DOD Civs and others

Damn, this is interesting...
http://www.fortbraggpresscenter.com/.../5287/2420526/

Quote:
How to request information on expanding housing on Fort Bragg to DOD Civilians, Retirees, and Gold Star Families

Families interested in moving onto Fort Bragg are encouraged to request information from the Corvias Military Living Leasing Center by phone at (910) 495-0878 or online at http://bragg.corviasmilitaryliving.com. Applicants from the newly eligible categories will be required to pass installation background checks as well as credit and income requirements.

Several home types will be available to the newly added categories including two, three and four-bedroom floor plans. Rents will be established at competitive market rates and will include utilities, lawn care, 24-hour maintenance, access to Corvias’ Community Centers and pools as well as some other base amenities.

Additionally, the children of federal civilians that live on base will be able to attend the installation’s renowned Department of Defense Schools.

The decision to open eligibility to these additional groups was made to ensure the housing partnership between Corvias and Army is able to reinvest in future home construction, modernization, upgrades and repairs on the installation throughout the duration of the 50-year partnership which began in 2003.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:00   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
They've had this program at Luke AF Base in Phoenix for a few years now altho I have no idea how it is working.
The Army modeled it's housing upgrade program on the Air Force plan so I suspect it migrated from there.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 17:39   #3
NF_NYC
Asset

I'm interested in knowing how people from Ft. Bragg feel about this. Bragg is still very populated.
NF_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:10   #4
EMase
Asset

I live on Fort Bragg. As a resident here, I don't like this idea. My son attends the junior high on Fort Bragg as well. The thought of more students to an already over populated junior high is aggravating. I think it's a push by Corvias to make more money as many people who reside here on post decide to move off post causing a constant decline in tenants. If you drive through the neighborhoods you will see dozens of vacant homes in each neighborhood.
Retirees are ok in my book, I'll have the biggest issue with the DOD Civs.
EMase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05   #5
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMase View Post
If you drive through the neighborhoods you will see dozens of vacant homes in each neighborhood.
Ironically, when I got to Bragg (granted a few years back) there was a waiting list to get post housing...some of them over a year long.

Someone more up to date than me might have the current policy...but didnt' there use to be a DOD policy that dictated how "full" post housing needed to be before paying out for BAH?
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 20:56   #6
Toaster
Guerrilla

There are E1s moving into the E6-E8 housing area where I'm at. Now I'd reckon that it's probably 25-40% empty for the single family homes. There are 10-12 empty houses on my street out of maybe 20-30.

I don't think they're opening the E9 houses to anyone other than some E8s.

I would much prefer to have some retirees living in the neighborhood. I'm sure there would be much wisdom to glean off of them, and they'd be the kind of neighbor you want in your area.

I understand the reasoning, they have to spend money to maintain the houses. They should bring something in. A house will break down faster if it is not occupied.

Do I agree that an E1s BAH buys as much house as an E8s? Of course not. NCOs and Senior NCOs should not be housed in the same area as junior enlisted.

At least they understand that they have a problem. My solution would be that it doesn't cost your entire BAH to live on post, set the cost based on the neighborhood/house. The housing is not worth that much, I enjoy the convenience and tolerate the hassles but I'd not be willing to give even $1200 a month for their houses.

I suppose this is what you get when a government entity tries it's hand at any kind of economics.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:36   #7
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

They implemented this program at the Naval Base and Air Force base here in Gulfport/Biloxi, MS. From what I have heard, it is a win/win all the way around. That being said, I could not live in base housing. Way too many rules.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:02   #8
NF_NYC
Asset

Just to be sure, single NCOs still don't get to move into these empty houses do they? Is it still just families in those areas?
NF_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:50   #9
Pete
Quiet Professional

Well, if ...

Well, if Bragg is cut 16,000 troops they may start letting Section 8 families use the barracks.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 13:16   #10
Snaquebite
Area Commander

It's all about the contractor losing money. With the draw downs they will lose more. Also I looked at the Corsair (or whatever it's called) website and I understand why many are living off post. With today's BAH an individual single or with a famlily stands to pocket money by buying or renting. A single soldier living in one of the contracted apartments signs over his entire BAH to the contractor. Not sure how this new plan works. Couldn't find any dollar amounts.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:50   #11
Tree Potato
Guerrilla

Implementing the "waterfall" clause in privatized housing generally involves crossing below various occupancy rate thresholds to expand the tenant base beyond AD ranks.

One way to address the issue is to demolish older homes (incidentally these usually also have higher maintenance, energy, and water costs). Take an old neighborhood or two out of the inventory and suddenly the occupancy rate goes up; the need for outsiders to fill homes then goes down.

The challenge is for the military to officially notify the privatized housing contractor of how many military personnel need to live on the installation, so the contractor can provide the correct number of housing units. If the contract didn't include a clause for increasing or decreasing that number a contract change may need to be done.

Sizing the housing inventory to the need is really the only way to enable a privatized housing contractor to stay financially viable in the long run while also limiting tenants to the top tier of waterfall eligible residents.

I'd be amazed if leadership at Bragg didn't already know this, but it would be interesting to hear what challenges they're having in right sizing the contractual housing inventory.
Tree Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 13:50   #12
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Digging up an old thread - Military Housing - Easy money

Having been a long time military housing resident... thought this was a pretty interesting investigative report from Reuters.

The tie-in here is the specific reference to Fort Bragg and how Picerne's Corvias Group lobbied (bought) Kongressional influence and schmoozed Army leadership to get them to buy off on privatization that is now a huge cash-cow with little to no risk to the private side. Also seems the "guarantees" are written in disappearing ink. I'd also suggest that the rotation of leadership at bases creates an environment where things can be ignored and shuffled off.

It's worth the read

Special Report: As their landlord profits, soldiers battle unsafe Army homes

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 20:25   #13
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Having been a long time military housing resident... thought this was a pretty interesting investigative report from Reuters.

The tie-in here is the specific reference to Fort Bragg and how Picerne's Corvias Group lobbied (bought) Kongressional influence and schmoozed Army leadership to get them to buy off on privatization that is now a huge cash-cow with little to no risk to the private side. Also seems the "guarantees" are written in disappearing ink. I'd also suggest that the rotation of leadership at bases creates an environment where things can be ignored and shuffled off.

It's worth the read

Special Report: As their landlord profits, soldiers battle unsafe Army homes
Section about housing on Meade seems accurate: around the PX is nice but deeper into base (e.g. near old golf course) it’s pretty crappy. It’s surprising how many GS folks live there.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:35   #14
cbtengr
Area Commander

Strikes me as some sort of a tax payer subsidized slum lord billionaire, some folks just know how to game the system, this guy is an expert.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:57   #15
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Outstanding article and echoes complaints I got as a 1SG 10 years ago. What I can't figure out, at least in the Bragg area (I can understand it in MD) is why retirees would want to live there. The cost savings can't be that great and the daily commuting time is fairly negligible regardless of what part of town you live in.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote