Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 06-14-2006, 07:13   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid
My disclaimer is that I have not yet used an ankle holster. But... I have been doing much research as the only back-up sized weapon I am permitted is a baby Glock (26/27 only). The one I keep coming back to is expensive, but losing a $400 gun is expensive, dangerous and could be most embarrassing.

It's the Kramer.

K.

I own four Kramer holsters, nice holsters. The only problem is that his ankle holster does not come in the HK Compact (from what I've read on his site).

I'll send him an email and ask.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:00   #17
DPB
Quiet Professional

Agree with what Rubberneck says about Bulman Gun Leather. Josh is a friend of mine, and let me put it this way, he won't hire anyone else to work in his shop because he doesn't trust anyone else to make stuff that's going to have his name on it. I've seen any number of holsters in his garbage can that he wasn't happy with so he wouldn't ship them to a customer.

I own a bunch of his stuff, and all of it is as good or better than any of the other custom leather available from more well known shops. Unfortunately, I have never seen an example of his ankle holster, as he doesn't get very many orders for them. Since he's a one man shop, he generally has a six-plus week back order, so there are no "inventory" items sitting in the shop waiting to be ordered. When you order something, he is making that item specifically for you.

The down side is the 6+ week wait, but I think that will be a factor with any of the small custom shops.

DPB
Old 06-20-2006, 15:56   #18
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Just had a chat with William Kramer. One HK Compact .40 ankle holster now in the works......
Old 06-20-2006, 16:20   #19
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

TS,
Tripwire has it right...the smart carry is a great carry option. I have 2 of them and carry any size pistol...no shirt needed, shorts okay and no one knows you're concealing it. I have it on almost everyday, under scrubs, jeans, dress pants, etc. Ankle has it's place, I guess if you find yourself on the ground, but the gun is FAR away when standing.
just my 2 cents.
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 17:46   #20
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon
TS,
Tripwire has it right...the smart carry is a great carry option. I have 2 of them and carry any size pistol...no shirt needed, shorts okay and no one knows you're concealing it. I have it on almost everyday, under scrubs, jeans, dress pants, etc. Ankle has it's place, I guess if you find yourself on the ground, but the gun is FAR away when standing.
just my 2 cents.
I'd agree with you if I thought speed was necessary. Speed is not the issue when I wear an ankle holster.

I will look into this smart carry, it just doesn't look comfortable...... and while I don't mind having guns pointed at me, I do not like the idea of one pointed at the family jewels, especially cocked and locked......
Old 01-11-2010, 16:59   #21
jw74
Guerrilla

TS,

I searched but I could not find your review of your kramer ankle holster with the USPC. I'm curious what you thought?
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 20:38   #22
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw74 View Post
TS,

I searched but I could not find your review of your kramer ankle holster with the USPC. I'm curious what you thought?
Very nice as long as you have some "big" pants to hide the holster. (As of now I only have one (maybe two) pair of pants that can do just that and that's the one I bought it for... I'm not going to kiss and tell the world which they are......)

TS
Old 01-12-2010, 00:16   #23
jw74
Guerrilla

Thank you Sir. Appreciate it
jw74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 00:56   #24
monsterhunter
Guerrilla

TS,

I've gone through thee different ankle holsters and would recommend none of them. I've only know one other LEO to use one while on duty. He was very happy with it, but that is the exception. I now go with a front pocket holster for a S&W 640, obviously nothing in the .45 size category.

I've seen the smart carry hide some full size weapons rather well. I also have one for my 640, but have not tried it with a full size handgun as of yet. The general consensus of LEO's in my department is that ankle holsters are terrible, except in very limited circumstances and only with a compact weapon.

If you do find one you like, I would be interested in hearing about it.
monsterhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03   #25
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterhunter View Post
TS,

I've gone through thee different ankle holsters and would recommend none of them. I've only know one other LEO to use one while on duty. He was very happy with it, but that is the exception. I now go with a front pocket holster for a S&W 640, obviously nothing in the .45 size category.

I've seen the smart carry hide some full size weapons rather well. I also have one for my 640, but have not tried it with a full size handgun as of yet. The general consensus of LEO's in my department is that ankle holsters are terrible, except in very limited circumstances and only with a compact weapon.
If you do find one you like, I would be interested in hearing about it.
I might tend to agree with you as I'm not an LEO.

I carry there for reasons of my own and unlike LEO's I do not intend to get into a "physical fight" while wearing it. I only wear it when all other carry options are off the list.
Old 01-12-2010, 18:19   #26
monsterhunter
Guerrilla

Understood sir. In that case, let me explain a bit more.

The most secure ankle holster I owned was the Gould & Goodrich Concealment: 716 BootLock Ankle Holster. The good point and the bad point is it laces directly into a boot. The positive side was that it was very stable and I never had a concern with it falling out/off, sliding, etc... It's negative points were it wearing out within a year with the non leather portion. My pants would also hang up on it a bit when I stood back up and I had to make several adjustments. The other down side it that it will only work with a boot.

The other holsters I wore we for off duty. They were velcro attached and padded on the interior. They were not as inclined to catch on the pants and were okay in calm everyday type situations. There was no bulge to speak of and it was nice not having anything in a pocket or waistband. The negative was that no matter how snug they were attached, I would periodically have to slide it a bit back up my leg. Sometimes they may twist a bit. I never had a problem with them coming loose or falling off. These were only tested with a 640. There is no way I could have pulled of a concealed carry with a full size handgun (at least for me anyway).

I've seen the ankle holders that wrap around your ankle and also have a strap for over the calf. This may help with a full size weapon, but I've never tried it.

I know a lot of this info may not be exactly what you are looking for, but hopefully it will help in considering certain features.
monsterhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 23:40   #27
TexasAg2004
Asset

As a backup when I'm on duty I use a galco ankle glove with a Kahr P380 in it. I understand the pros and cons of ankle carry, but this is the most realistic way of me continuing to have a 2nd gun with me. Around Oakley and Bates boots the holster does not move and it has ample velcro to remain taught. It stays put even during running or bumping your ankle into something. I trained such that I can easily deploy it and get off lethal shots from standing or kneeling (faster) position.

As an added perk I have found that when in Texas heat no other concealment option will work, I can at least carry there and have a gun with me if need be.

If you like to see a photo of this setup please advise.
TexasAg2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:07   #28
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I used ankle holsters for back up weapons and off duty for 30 years. You get used to them. The hot climate where I lived made waistband holsters impractical. Never liked having my shirttails out and jackets were only worn for about a week in January.The one I used most was Galco. I like the neoprene. It distributes weight well.
I've also had boots modified to carry a compact gun. I have skinny calves so it worked for me.
Ankle holsters are not speedy but with practice you can draw a weapon fairly smoothly.
They are better than only being armed with a rapier-like wit.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:31   #29
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
They are better than only being armed with a rapier-like wit.
Oh s...! I'm screwed.

I use these in the class I teach. I hope it brings a smile.

Freedom isn't Free

Ankle holsters are not always optimal.

If you like these, visit the artist's site.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:12   #30
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

My oddest concealed weapon story.
The wife and I were in Detroit flying back to Florida 3 days after 9/11. Our flight out of denver had been delayed so ew missed the connector in Detroit and had to stay overnight. As we get to the gate the next morning and showed out boarding passes, from yesterday the ticket agent freaks out. ((her first day back to work and you could tell she was right on the edge of a breakdown).

I patiently explained that they knew we would miss the connector before we ever left Denver so they had booked us on this morning's flight. She found us in the computer but continued to flip out. "Very irregular!! They shouldn't have done that!!! Yada yada yada!"

I finally told her that I understood her nervousness given the recent events but that she could check with her supervisor or whatever. I then showed her my police ID (which rarely do unless something gets serious) and said "I'm one of the good guys. Get it?" She took my ID and dashed off behind closed doors. "Oh great", I thought. This can't be good.
She came back in a minute, somewhat calmed, and gave us first class seat assignments!

A few minutes later, we're sitting there waiting for the boarding call and a guy sits down next to me.
It's the pilot. "Are you the police officer?", he asks quietly. I told him I was and I wasn't trying to make a stink.
"No problem", he says. Then quietly, and a litlte hopefully he asks. "Are you armed?".

"I have a sharp tongue", I told him. "Glad to have you aboard anyway", he said, somewhat disappointedly I thought.

The shrimp in First Class was excellent.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote