Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 08-20-2009, 07:54   #1
Defender968
SF Candidate

Thumbs down Pan Am 103 bomber to go home

Amazing to me they would let this guy go, after all he showed no compassion to the 270 people he killed, they weren't allowed to go home to die naturally in peace. On a side note Momar Khadafi is sending his personal jet to pick this guy up, bet he gets a nice welcome when he gets home. IMHO a life sentence should end in prison.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,540967,00.html

Quote:
EDINBURGH, Scotland — Scotland freed the terminally ill Lockerbie bomber on compassionate grounds Thursday, allowing him to die at home in Libya despite American protests that mercy should not be shown to the man responsible for the deaths of 270 people.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said Abdel Baset al-Megrahi's condition had deteriorated from prostate cancer. Al-Megrahi had only served some eight years of a life sentence, but MacAskill said he was bound by Scottish values to release him.

"Our belief dictates that justice be served but mercy be shown," MacAskill said, ruling that al-Megrahi "be released on compassionate grounds and be allowed to return to Libya to die."

"Some hurts can never heal, some scars can never fade," MacAskill said. "Those who have been bereaved cannot be expected to forget, let alone forgive ... However, Mr. al-Megrahi now faces a sentence imposed by a higher power."

Al-Megrahi, 57, was convicted in 2001 of taking part in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 on Dec. 21, 1988. He was sentenced to life in prison.

The airliner — which was carrying mostly American passengers to New York — blew up as it flew over Scotland. All 259 people aboard and 11 on the ground died when the aircraft crashed into the town of Lockerbie.

The former Libyan intelligence officer was sentenced to serve a minimum of 27 years in a Scottish prison for Britain's deadliest terrorist attack. But a 2007 review of his case found grounds for an appeal of his conviction, and many in Britain believe he is innocent.

The White House said Thursday it "deeply regrets" the decision to free al-Megrahi.

"As we have expressed repeatedly to officials of the government of the United Kingdom and to Scottish authorities, we continue to believe that Megrahi should serve out his sentence in Scotland," the White House said in a statement. "On this day, we extend our deepest sympathies to the families who live every day with the loss of their loved ones."

Earlier, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton phoned MacAskill urging him not to release al-Megrahi, and seven U.S. senators wrote a letter with a similar message.

MacAskill said he stood by al-Megrahi's conviction and the sentence for "the worst terrorist atrocity ever committed on U.K. soil."

He said he ruled out sending the bomber back to Libya under a prisoner-transfer agreement, saying the U.S. victims had been given assurances that al-Megrahi would serve out his sentence in Scotland.

But he said that as a prisoner given less than three months to live by doctors, al-Megrahi was eligible for compassionate release.

"I am conscious that there are deeply held feelings and many will disagree whatever my decision," he said. "However, a decision has to be made."

The families of some American victims were quick to express their outrage.

"I don't understand how the Scots can show compassion. It's an utter insult and utterly disgusting," said Kara Wepz, of Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, whose 20-year-old brother Richard Monetti was on board Pan Am Flight 103. "It's horrible. I don't show compassion for someone who showed no remorse."

The Times of London reported Thursday that the private jet of Libya's leader, Moammar Gadhafi, was to collect al-Megrahi at Glasgow Airport after he was released.

Al-Megrahi's trial and conviction led to a major shift in Libya's relationship with the West.

Gadhafi engineered a rapprochement with his former critics following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He renounced terrorism, dismantled Libya's secret nuclear program, accepted his government's responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing and paid compensation to the victims' families.

Western energy companies — including Britain's BP PLC — have moved into Libya in an effort to tap the country's vast oil and gas wealth.

Gadhafi has lobbied for the return of al-Megrahi, an issue which took on an added sense of urgency when he was diagnosed with cancer last year. His lawyers say his condition is deteriorating and doctors have given him less than three months to live.

The question of freeing al-Megrahi has divided Lockerbie families, with many in Britain in favor of setting him free, and many in the U.S. adamantly opposed.

British Rev. John Mosey, whose daughter Helga, 19, died in the attack, said Wednesday he would be glad to see al-Megrahi return home.

"It is right he should go home to die in dignity with his family. I believe it is our Christian duty to show mercy," he said.

But American families have largely been hostile to the idea.

"I'm totally against it. He murdered 270 people," said Paul Halsch of Perinton, New York, who lost his 31-year-old wife in the attack. "This might sound crude or blunt, but I want him returned from Scotland the same way my wife Lorraine was ... and that would be in a box."

Peter Sullivan of Akron, Ohio, whose college roommate Mike Doyle died at Lockerbie, said he believed Britain was putting commercial interests before the interests of the victims' relatives.

"The interest of big oil should not be the basis of a miscarriage of justice to let murderer of 270 people be released," Sullivan said.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:09   #2
Saoirse
Guerrilla Chief

I saw this last night and could only shake my head in disgust. Scotland is a dhimmi-country. Not surprising since the Church of Scotland accepted sharia law into the courts. It was also reported that families "forgave" him.

Fox news, this morning, is reading some of the letters from the victims families about this POS's release. It is heart wrenching and they are, indeed, becoming victims all over again. The POS has a motorcade to a private jet. But I guess he is "their" version of a rock star and no doubt, Defender you are right, he will have quite the welcome home. A hero's welcome?

Am fear nach gleidh na h-airm san t-sith, cha bhi iad aige 'n am a' chogaidh
"He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war" Old Gaelic

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them. Thomas Paine
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:22   #3
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Maybe....

Maybe if All the Families forgave him.
In the fashion of Braveheart, this one should be drawn and quartered. in public...

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:25   #4
Razor
Quiet Professional

CPT Joe Curry, 10th SFG died in that bombing.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41   #5
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Apparently in Scotland, a life sentence doesn't include dying in prison. This walking bag of excrement has served only 8 years for murdering nearly 300 innocent people.
I think they already showed him mercy by not hanging him. I hope Scotland "the breve" doesn't get hold of any more terrorists.
I am absolutely enraged.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:55   #6
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
Maybe if All the Families forgave him.
In the fashion of Braveheart, this one should be drawn and quartered. in public...

I have a better idea Blitzzz.

I think that he should be burned at the stake in front of the family members of his victims.

I'd pay an admission fee just to watch.

Last edited by mojaveman; 08-21-2009 at 09:28.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03   #7
jlcoad
Quiet Professional

Why ?

I am a very simplistic thinking person and have a tendency to react rather than act. With that said, why is Al-Megrahi still alive? I have heard of people being killed in prison who have committed lesser crimes.

Why is Gadhafi still alive? Is it because he said he was sorry and started being friendlier to the American oil companies?

I f De Opresso Liber was the United States Motto it would read:

“ De Opresso Liber if your Government doesn’t let our oil companies in”
jlcoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:11   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

This story (below) "is" the real the reason they all died.....

I cannot believe scotland released the coward scumbag......

TS

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...975399,00.html
Old 08-20-2009, 09:18   #9
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcoad View Post
I am a very simplistic thinking person and have a tendency to react rather than act. With that said, why is Al-Megrahi still alive? I have heard of people being killed in prison who have committed lesser crimes.

Why is Gadhafi still alive? Is it because he said he was sorry and started being friendlier to the American oil companies?
I suspect that he was isolated from the general inmate population like child molesters and rapists are.
Gadhafi's still alive because the AF missed him by a hair.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:20   #10
Praetorian
Guerrilla

270 people murdered.

Convicted January 31, 2001.

Released August 20, 2009.

3,123 days in prison.....

Or

Eleven and a half days for each victim....
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:18   #11
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Whatever ties we have with scotland should be put on hold ..................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:23   #12
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
CPT Joe Curry, 10th SFG died in that bombing.
Joe Curry was a fine young officer and a friend. We attended the Q Course together. He was dedicated, proficient, and had an interesting sense of humor.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59   #13
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
Whatever ties we have with scotland should be put on hold ..................

Big Teddy
Agree 100%! What a buch of pansy-ass cowards!!!

Hope this man knows that his cell in hell is waiting for his arrival, and hope the fire gets stoked extra hot for the slow, eternal roasting of his flesh.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 14:16   #14
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Convicted January 31, 2001.

Released August 20, 2009.

3,123 days in prison.....

Or

Eleven and a half days for each victim...
But now he walks in a painfully funny way, has a panic attack every time he hears someone coming up behind him or the sound of running water, bawls at the mention of anyone needing some soap, won't go near a shower, and wears Depends due to a severe case of fecal incontinence acquired over the last 3,123 days.

Personally - I would use this as a golden PSYOPs opportunity to sell the world on how Western Civilization is, indeed, merciful to those who are truly suffering - even if the sufferer is one who has been stricken by God/Allah with a horrifically painful and fatal illness for going against HIS word from having been led astray by those who would so wrongfully preach that HE would honor anyone who commited murder in HIS holy name.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 14:18   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Justice would have prevented his release, or at best, his plane from making it to Libya safely.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote