Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-09-2021, 07:10   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
10 Hollywood Stars Americans Would Support as Commander in Chief

I think Military.com is infested with manipulative Progressives.

I don't care if they are conservative or liberal, I don't want a celebrity in politics.

They become famous for their ability to stand and deliver a performance that can make us cry, laugh, be scared, and be in awl,, just with their visual & verbal talents.

While someone standing behind the curtain writes the script...

Quote:

Military.com | By Blake Stilwell

In a recent interview with USA Today, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson -- also known as “The People’s Champion” -- said he would run for president of the United States if the people wanted it. And it turns out that the people might want it.

In a recent data analysis conducted by Piplsay, a near-majority of Americans voiced their support for The Rock’s presidential run in some way. Adding the political aspirations of Matthew McConaughey, who expressed an interest in running for governor of his native Texas, put support of a celebrity politican into the majority.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/10...C=eb_210409.nl

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:13   #2
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

You didn’t like Ronald Reagan?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:04   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
You didn’t like Ronald Reagan?
I didn't dislike Reagan. He was a great conservative, but he was carried by his oral talents and support staff.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:44   #4
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
...he was carried by his oral talents and support staff.
...lol, kinda sorta like Kamala...only different.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:54   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
...lol, kinda sorta like Kamala...only different.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:35   #6
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I didn't dislike Reagan. He was a great conservative, but he was carried by his oral talents and support staff.
Prior to running for President he served from 67 to 75 as the Governor of California.

How many of the contenders have "Former Governor" on their resumes?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:53   #7
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Julia Louis-Dryface has served as VP for several years now and so has Cloris Leachman when she had to step up and take over for Morgan Freedman. That should qualify them for high office.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old 04-09-2021, 09:58   #8
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
How come the two best (subject to opinion) Presidents in my lifetime (since JFK) were both Democrats before seeing the error of their ways and became great conservative leaders for the Republican Party and the free world?

Old 04-09-2021, 10:20   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
How come the two best (subject to opinion) Presidents in my lifetime (since JFK) were both Democrats before seeing the error of their ways and became great conservative leaders for the Republican Party and the free world?
The speechwriter understood the audience..

Old 04-09-2021, 10:27   #10
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The speechwriter understood the audience..
Perhaps...I’d like to believe it was love of country that persuaded them to lead from the front.

Of course Margaret Thatcher was both hated and admired for her role in RR’s successes.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:43   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Perhaps...I’d like to believe it was love of country that persuaded them to lead from the front.

Of course Margaret Thatcher was both hated and admired for her role in RR’s successes.
She was a cutie

Maybe I am too jaded or my vision is tainted, But I feel that some very large percentage of Americans vote their ears and what is piped in.

They don't look behind the curtins..

Old 04-09-2021, 13:28   #12
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Prior to running for President he served from 67 to 75 as the Governor of California.

How many of the contenders have "Former Governor" on their resumes?
I think President Reagan’s role as Governor is a big differentiator/filter from nearly all other actors/celebrities.

And even with that he was still hit hard with the “Bedtime for Bonzo” stuff from many decades earlier.

But I think history long term will view him as the right president at the right time.

——-

The actor that first raised my concern about the impact of fiction becoming reality was actor Fred Thompson.

He was a character actor who frequently portrayed “important senior government/military officials”, then ran for US Senate in Tennessee as a Republican to backfill Democrat Senator Vice President Al Gore in a massive landslide .

Surely Thompson’s massive public recognition played a significant role in the result.

While that result supported my world-view, it was/is a troubling indicator of the power of the entertainment industry to shape the under-informed general public.

——-

I’m also reminded of Hillary Clinton’s very high profile visit with Britney Spears in Las Vegas in her failed 2016 run for President.

It was clearly designed to reach and influence Britney Spears’ 75m+ social media followers.

The photo op had Hillary Clinton sitting in rapt attention of Britney Spears’ “opinions on geopolitics”, while former President Bill Clinton was placed further away with his hands in full view to ensure he wasn’t molesting Britney.

It was surreal and sad, but an indicator of the power of personal brands in entertainment.

——-

Joe Rogan and his podcast have great potential to become king-maker-like.

Tulsi Gabbard(who is going the podcast route herself), Dan Crenshaw, and actor Matthew McConaughey have all used Rogan and his platform to achieve a lot of reach and engagement.

On a long holiday drive last year my wife and I listened to Matthew McConaughey on Rogan’s podcast.

I made a bet with my wife that he would be running for Governor of Texas because it sounded like preparation of the political battlefield.

Entertainment’ s influence over politics is increasing in my opinion.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 14:10   #13
Box
Quiet Professional

fuck that - I dont want to see ANY of our current celebrities in the White House - I want to see Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in the White House...
...because lets be honest - isn't that what we are really talking about?

I want to see Beef Supreme in charge of the Department of Cool Flamethrowers

I want Frito Pendejo running the DOJ

I want Emeril Lagasse heading up the FDA with Martha Stewart standing up the new Department of Street Tacos and High End Vodka Jello Shots.

I want Rock Johnson hired on as the head of 'Joey Two-Blasts' former president security detail

Dr Fauci is going to be put to work as the night janitor at Starbucks Gentlemen's Club

I of course will joyfully accept my nomination as the Chief-for-Life of the Bureau of Whiskey, Cigars, and Machine Guns.

America - Brought to You By Carls Jr.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 04-09-2021 at 14:25.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 14:28   #14
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
The actor that first raised my concern about the impact of fiction becoming reality was actor Fred Thompson.

He was a character actor who frequently portrayed “important senior government/military officials”, then ran for US Senate in Tennessee as a Republican to backfill Democrat Senator Vice President Al Gore in a massive landslide .

Surely Thompson’s massive public recognition played a significant role in the result.

While that result supported my world-view, it was/is a troubling indicator of the power of the entertainment industry to shape the under-informed general public.
Fred Thompson anecdote for you that I witnessed.
Don't know if they still do, but NRA would have "dinners" where they invited all the presidential candidates who think they'd like to do battle with them. Pretty typically it's just Republicans. But the purpose of the dinner is clearly for the NRA to vet the candidates so in the next issue of the magazine (and 46 fund-begging mailings) they can tell their membership what to think. All the NRA royalty are there, past & present.

These affairs allocate a few minutes each for the candidates to come forward to a podium. At this podium they invariably wax nostalgic about childhood experiences with a gun or note the fact that just last year they went up to South Dakota on a pheasant hunt, etc. Some will reminisce about shooting tin cans with a .22. I recall Mittens Romney was there and almost teared up talking about "plinking pigeons behind the barn with my Dad's .410 shotgun." (barf) Almost never does anyone ever get close to the 2A's afffirmation of the citizen throwing off a tyrannical government.

Fred Thompson's turn came and he was, for many ears, the most economical:

"I have a lot of guns. I'm not golng to tell you what kind, how many, or where they are because it's none of y'alls bidness.' It was one of those old saloon "who shot the piano player?" moments. Dead nuts quiet.

Fred did not get the NRA's endorsement. But, may he RIP, he makes me smile for that moment of courage.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 15:28   #15
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
...the Bureau of Whiskey, Cigars, and Machine Guns.

America - Brought to You By Carls Jr.
The sad thing is - this makes more sense than the out of the gate policies adopted by the Harris-Biden administration.

Take dat to da bank...straight from the “AFT.”

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote