Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 01-26-2021, 12:56   #1
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Green Beret Officer to become JSOC Commander...

I have to admit that I have not worked with LT. GEN. Fenton, so I don't much about his time in 7th SFG. His time with JSOC prior to this appears to have been as a J3 there. Before this, he was a Det Cmdr. and - later - an Operations Officer in 7th SFG, and a BN CDR in USAJFKSWCS. I am surprised that this new JSOC commander has not spent most of his career in JSOC (not a bad thing, IMHO).

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Rel...r-assignments/

"Lt. Gen. Bryan P. Fenton, senior military assistant to the secretary of defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C., to commander, Joint Special Operations Command; and commander, Joint Special Operations Command Forward, U.S. Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina."
Old 02-14-2021, 18:16   #2
Uman
Quiet Professional

USASOC

USASOC might be next.
Uman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 21:06   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

What’s funny is he does not wear the long tab in any photos I have seen so far.

He also uses the 504th regiment as his affiliate. I know he was in 7th but he sure does not telegraph it on his uniform. He was in 2/75th and does display the Ranger tab but no all the time.

Just a little odd.....
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 23:53   #4
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
I have to admit that I have not worked with LT. GEN. Fenton, so I don't much about his time in 7th SFG. His time with JSOC prior to this appears to have been as a J3 there. Before this, he was a Det Cmdr. and - later - an Operations Officer in 7th SFG, and a BN CDR in USAJFKSWCS. I am surprised that this new JSOC commander has not spent most of his career in JSOC (not a bad thing, IMHO).

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Rel...r-assignments/

"Lt. Gen. Bryan P. Fenton, senior military assistant to the secretary of defense, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C., to commander, Joint Special Operations Command; and commander, Joint Special Operations Command Forward, U.S. Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina."
Former SOCPAC CG. Probably helping to align JSOC with near peer threats (re: China).
Old 02-15-2021, 05:50   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
What’s funny is he does not wear the long tab in any photos I have seen so far.

He also uses the 504th regiment as his affiliate. I know he was in 7th but he sure does not telegraph it on his uniform. He was in 2/75th and does display the Ranger tab but no all the time.

Just a little odd.....
His bio pic shows both tabs,, NOW
Also, an X-spurt INF, no CIB

https://www.defense.gov/Our-Story/Bi...ryan-p-fenton/

Do you think the Procressives have toned down his internet presents?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200121-D-ZZ999-030.JPG (69.2 KB, 100 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:29   #6
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
His bio pic shows both tabs,, NOW
Also, an X-spurt INF, no CIB

https://www.defense.gov/Our-Story/Bi...ryan-p-fenton/

Do you think the Procressives have toned down his internet presents?
Must have gotten old google results.......thanks......
Old 02-15-2021, 13:07   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Bryan Fenton was one of my detachment commanders in A/1/7.

He is an 18A and I have never known him to present himself as anything else.

His regimental crest in the official photo appears to be the SF crest.

He is an outstanding officer and I am sure he will do a great job.

Glad for him and about time an SF officer got a senior command, rather than the other way around.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 14:30   #8
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Bryan Fenton was one of my detachment commanders in A/1/7.

He is an 18A and I have never known him to present himself as anything else.

His regimental crest in the official photo appears to be the SF crest.

He is an outstanding officer and I am sure he will do a great job.

Glad for him and about time an SF officer got a senior command, rather than the other way around.

TR
Understand. I just found some photos that made me wonder. Never did I doubt him.
Old 02-15-2021, 20:35   #9
T7L
Quiet Professional

He had 716 at the end of the hall when I was on 711, 94-98 time frame.

Everyone on his team had his back and he the same for them. Never heard a negative word spoken about him in his time in the company. I found him to be a smart, conscientious, and a very competent officer.

Saw him about ten years later in the food court at the new (then) BX at Bragg and he said hello and we spoke for a bit. I was impressed that he remembered me from a decade earlier.

He was in A Co the same time as Tony Fletcher (713) and Sean Swindell (715) both of whom made MG.

Good to see him get JSOC. We can only hope he'll come to Tampa when he's done.
T7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:12   #10
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Fellas I am glad to see an 18 series getting the seemingly pre SOCOM billet at JSOC but.......he is an officer many many years beyond team time...he also climbed the ranks under both Obama then Trump and now this appointment under the Obama shadow government.

How easy we forget? fool me once....

Lets not forget the willingness one has to have to do anything for ones career regardless of the path of destruction left behind....I will not believe that a General today is ever promoted for excellency even if it was my own brother.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 02-17-2021 at 10:16.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:42   #11
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Fellas I am glad to see an 18 series getting the seemingly pre SOCOM billet at JSOC but.......he is an officer many many years beyond team time...he also climbed the ranks under both Obama then Trump and now this appointment under the Obama shadow government.

How easy we forget? fool me once....
Just the facts ma'am. Successful career officers have to be adept at maneuvering through the political obstacle course.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

LHC
Old 02-17-2021, 11:09   #12
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
Just the facts ma'am. Successful career officers have to be adept at maneuvering through the political obstacle course.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

LHC
Agree on O's ability to navigate and disagree ma'am.....have you not paid attention to the last 20 years of politics in the military and the 200+ officers under Obama. Have you forgotten the destruction of the Q course at the hands of "good dudes" NCO's, WO's and O's.....do you not understand that Trump never got around to getting rid of Obama loyalist? And IMO it doesnt take a PSYOPs guru to read the Army times and see the enthusiasm many SJWs left over from Obama have in promoting and pushing ahead with the Obama agenda. No General is promoted today if he has shown any inclination to resist SJW issues and he certainly does not get a Command like JSOC if he hasnt shown the willingness to embrace poor policy such as female GBs and Rangers at the cost of a much easier incrementally lowered set of standards altered to produce the results that gets one promoted.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 02-17-2021 at 11:19.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:20   #13
Last hard class
Quiet Professional

WD:

I understand your frustration, as always I will defer to you when discussing current affairs of the regiment. But who better to improve our lot than one of our own? Someone who has actual experience at the the team level is a godsend. I'm suggesting that we support him in this position unless or until he deserves otherwise.

LHC

Last edited by Last hard class; 02-17-2021 at 12:34.
Last hard class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 17:31   #14
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last hard class View Post
WD:

I understand your frustration, as always I will defer to you when discussing current affairs of the regiment. But who better to improve our lot than one of our own? Someone who has actual experience at the the team level is a godsend. I'm suggesting that we support him in this position unless or until he deserves otherwise.

LHC
Oh I definitely support a GB O being postured to lead SOCOM....I dont expect anything other than what has happened thus far....I consider myself a realist and fairly adept at understanding politics.....we have entirely too many people who make naive assumptions everytime they are familiar with someone promoted to the starfleet level who seem to forget the reality of what ones character may have shown itself to be that made that happen. 2 years on a team does not come close to exposing the character of a man and certainly doesnt show their ambitions for higher positions. We havent see Generals of a Patton or MacArthur type since perhaps Schwarzkopf....these same Generals turned Afghanistan and Iraq/Syria into numerous 6 month wars with their star lust war hawks getting young soldiers killed in a prolonged groundhog day...these Generals are feeding their future employ with more contracts and high paying positions.....and who cares how many more will die keeping their golden parachutes afloat

Just venting

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 02-18-2021 at 14:29.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:27   #15
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

GENERALS:

HEEZ Back, General (RETIRED) Honore is Nancy Pelosi's pick to head her version of the KGB to investigate the "INSURRECTION" in the DC Capitol Bldg. on Jan.6,2021. This is another Warren Commission, 911 Commission, to spend more money on smoke & mirrors to spread the DNC false narrative of White Supremacy trying to seize power from the " ELECTED" & not the appointed & anointed Big Guy, slo joe...The U S A is becoming more FUBAR by the day. Pick a Topic, The Wuhan Virus Variants, Students back to school, vaccine distribution, Gov. Dogface Como's cover-up of his lying about nursing home covid deaths, The frozen wind mills in Texas, wear a mask even a counterfeit one...WTF...