Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10   #1
Sdiver
Area Commander

Medical Scenario III

Okay gang, get out your calipers .....

Your patient is a 63 yo female, "sick". She looks pale. She responds to verbal stimuli, but does not seem alert or oriented. Her HR is as shown, BP is 86/60. Her friend called 911 because she was acting "confused this morning". The friend tells you she has not been feeling great for a couple of days, but seemed worse today. Other hx is unknown.

What is the rhythm?
What is your treatment?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rate.jpg (24.6 KB, 83 views)
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42   #2
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Which lead on the ECG are we looking at?

First, impression is A-fib (absent P wave with irregular HR ~160 bpm). Patient needs a full cardiac workup. Transport to ER with IV NS slow drip (10 gtt/min) just to have a line open. (Bet ya thought I was gonna say Dextran ). O2 nasal cannula. Transport semi-reclined. Aspirin sublingual wouldn't hurt to prevent clotting and possible occlusive stroke.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09   #3
adal
Quiet Professional

Agree with Trapper. Be ready if she converts. I've had this convert simply by moving them from bed to gurney. If she has been this way for a few days (greater than 24 hrs) you could be getting ready for PE or stroke.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20   #4
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Lead II

Don't have a 12-lead. Sorry.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:34   #5
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Lead II

Don't have a 12-lead. Sorry.
Ok thanks! Sticking with AF.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:43   #6
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:

First, impression is A-fib (absent P wave with irregular HR ~160 bpm). Patient needs a full cardiac workup. Transport to ER with IV NS slow drip (10 gtt/min) just to have a line open. (Bet ya thought I was gonna say Dextran ). O2 nasal cannula. Transport semi-reclined. Aspirin sublingual wouldn't hurt to prevent clotting and possible occlusive stroke.
I agree with your assessment of the rhythm, but I am worried that she already had a thromboembolic stroke given her altered mental status.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53   #7
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
I agree with your assessment of the rhythm, but I am worried that she already had a thromboembolic stroke given her altered mental status.
Agree. Probable TIAs. My question for you, Doc, is TPA indicated here?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55   #8
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Just wondering here, you've got your IV set up for TKO but yet she's hypotensive. Would you consider a fluid bolus and if so, how much?

Also, would you consider cardioverting as an option and if so, how? (Adel, this is for you as well. )

Oh and BTW .... How much ASA and O2 are you giving? #attentiontodetail
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58   #9
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
True she may have had a thrombus break loose due to the a-fib, but she's also had poor cardiac output for the past x2 days. This could be the cause of her "confusion and disorientation".
Old 06-13-2013, 13:01   #10
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Your patient is a 63 yo female

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 13:05   #11
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Just wondering here, you've got your IV set up for TKO but yet she's hypotensive. Would you consider a fluid bolus and if so, how much? No, not hypovolemic shock.

Also, would you consider cardioverting as an option and if so, how? (Adel, this is for you as well. ) OK that one is outside of my wheelhouse. I'm in learning mode here, so teach me

Oh and BTW .... How much ASA and O2 are you giving? #attentiontodetail
80 mg ASA, 2L/min O2
Old 06-13-2013, 13:56   #12
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Agree. Probable TIAs. My question for you, Doc, is TPA indicated here?
TIA can only be diagnosed in hindsight - if symptoms last for <24 hours without residual neurologic sequelae. I would consider this an acute thromboembolic stroke until proven otherwise.

If she seemed confused this morning, the stroke could've happened overnight, so it may not be outside of the therapeutic window for TPA. Then again - I coudln't tell you the last time I took care of an acute stroke in an elderly patient with AF, so I'm not sure on SOPs here.

I think a baby aspirin is 81mg (not 80), and (getting on my pediatric high horse here) never give aspirin to a pediatric patient unless advised to do so by a cardiologist.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
Old 06-13-2013, 14:33   #13
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
TIA can only be diagnosed in hindsight - if symptoms last for <24 hours without residual neurologic sequelae. I would consider this an acute thromboembolic stroke until proven otherwise.

If she seemed confused this morning, the stroke could've happened overnight, so it may not be outside of the therapeutic window for TPA. Then again - I coudln't tell you the last time I took care of an acute stroke in an elderly patient with AF, so I'm not sure on SOPs here.

I think a baby aspirin is 81mg (not 80), and (getting on my pediatric high horse here) never give aspirin to a pediatric patient unless advised to do so by a cardiologist.
Thanks for the info Doc! Yeah, 81 mg (not 80 mg). Rounding error

I have often wondered why the 81 mg aspirin was called "baby aspirin" anyway. I always thought it contra-indicated in children under 2 yo (maybe even 3 yo)?
Old 06-13-2013, 14:48   #14
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Thanks for the info Doc! Yeah, 81 mg (not 80 mg). Rounding error

I have often wondered why the 81 mg aspirin was called "baby aspirin" anyway. I always thought it contra-indicated in children under 2 yo (maybe even 3 yo)?
We worry about Reye syndrome if children receive ASA while having viral illness - so it is not used in children <12 if recovering from varicella or flu-like illness. ASA is only used in children with a clear cardiac indication or an acute thromboembolic stroke. ASA can be used at any age (no absolute age cutoff), but we are very careful about dosing.

Back to the scenario: Looking at current ASA guidelines, I would administer 325mg x1 with plans for a baby ASA daily thereafter.
Old 06-13-2013, 15:18   #15
adal
Quiet Professional

Doc I,
Generally the only rhythm that is irregularly irregular is AF. Even the SVT's are regular for the most part. At least in my train of thought, there would be some sort of pattern to it.

A 12-lead would be nice.

Our protocols for ASA are 324mg PO. 4 x 81mg.

O2 until SPO2 above 92-94%.