Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18E

Old 05-30-2009, 14:44   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

New Solar Cycle Prediction

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...prediction.htm

BMT
Old 05-31-2009, 05:27   #2
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

BMT

In this area, we have a conservative talk show program. The Warroom, with Quinn and Rose. The host has been trying to alert the public for the past year or so of the effects caused by the lack of sunspots.

While all of those "In the know" have been chicken littleing about global warming, the lack of solar flares has gone basically un-reported.

Global cooling is a much more impending threat than global warming.

If you look at the chart depicting the Maunder Minimum, and cross reference its effects on the planet, it shows quite a difference between what the global warming alarmists are spouting and what science has PROVEN can happen.

Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 14:26   #3
Electron
Guerrilla

Sun Spots

As long as I've been associated with the SF, the 18E's have always had their eye on sun spots in regard to RF transmissions. Particularly when I was in 7th during that time in their area at the time. The lack of spots could mean better comms instead of the end of the earth.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 15:08   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

If you want to look at some more info concerning Solar Weather, this is the link to the NOAA site:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/index.html

Most of the conversations I have heard that speak of warnings have been from a DOE representative who warns of the potential for a CME. (ala' March 13, 1989 Quebec blackout... but worse)

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 15:29   #5
swpa19
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
As long as I've been associated with the SF, the 18E's have always had their eye on sun spots in regard to RF transmissions
Exactly: The information regarding the Maunder Minimum was passed on to me by an N.G. Echo who is also a ham radio operator.
Theodore Roosevelt

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle
swpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 19:40   #6
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Low Sunspot numbers?

Well, anybody who makes their living on HF radio (an 05B4S qualified back when I wuz one) always pays attention to sunspot numbers - but low numbers are NOT a good thing. VHF/UHF and sat-comm think its great , of course, but us ol' HF rats wanted more solar flux, not less..
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:48   #7
albeham
Quiet Professional

I want more sun spots!!!! The winds..Let them blow..

Get another power systems ready for your home..

My tin hat is at the ready!!!!

PS. HF is King!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 20:12   #8
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Solar Boom!!!!

Solar Boom!!!!

http://news.discovery.com/space/sola...mkcpgn=rssnws1

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:55   #9
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

I'll bet the higher latitudes are in for some awesome shows!

Good to hear from you rt1!!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:41   #10
uplink5
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
Well, anybody who makes their living on HF radio (an 05B4S qualified back when I wuz one) always pays attention to sunspot numbers - but low numbers are NOT a good thing. VHF/UHF and sat-comm think its great , of course, but us ol' HF rats wanted more solar flux, not less..
AMEN...

The more solar activity, the denser the ozone, the higher the HF freqs, the better the HF comms.

and the HF calls home.........over....

Thomas Jefferson

"The scene changes but the aspirations of men of good will persist."

Vannevar Bush
uplink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:10   #11
ES 96
Guerrilla

Scientists solve mystery of disappearing sunspots

Mar. 2, 2011 (Reuters)
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre721874-us-sunspots/

and from here:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture09786.html

The unusual minimum of sunspot cycle 23 caused by meridional plasma flow variations

Direct observations over the past four centuries show that the number of sunspots observed on the Sun’s surface varies periodically, going through successive maxima and minima. Following sunspot cycle 23, the Sun went into a prolonged minimum characterized by a very weak polar magnetic field, and an unusually large number of days without sunspots. Sunspots are strongly magnetized regions generated by a dynamo mechanism that recreates the solar polar field mediated through plasma flows. Here we report results from kinematic dynamo simulations which demonstrate that a fast meridional flow in the first half of a cycle, followed by a slower flow in the second half, reproduces both characteristics of the minimum of sunspot cycle 23. Our model predicts that, in general, very deep minima are associated with weak polar fields. Sunspots govern the solar radiative energy, and radio flux, and, in conjunction with the polar field, modulate the solar wind, the heliospheric open flux and, consequently, the cosmic ray flux at Earth
Old 03-07-2011, 12:35   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink5 View Post
AMEN...

The more solar activity, the denser the ozone, the higher the HF freqs, the better the HF comms.

and the HF calls home.........over....
Shock. My local substation didn't melt like some state fusion center said it would. Am lovin' the numbers. Can't recall if albeham or Ret10Echo said it but, yep, you guys can walk out, I'd like a ride home.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:14   #13
Defend
Guerrilla

Another storm - maybe big?

Man I wish I had an HF rig setup here. I used to dream of the next solar peak back when I first got my license (just after the last peak).

The story of the 1859 storm is incredible - telegraphs operating without their batteries. Northern Lights visible from the Caribbean. This one they're calling for visibility from MN and WI. Still pretty amazing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7746UA20110806
Power companies prepare as solar storms set to hit Earth
1:04pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three large explosions from the Sun over the past few days have prompted U.S. government scientists to caution users of satellite, telecommunications and electric equipment to prepare for possible disruptions over the next few days.

"The magnetic storm that is soon to develop probably will be in the moderate to strong level," said Joseph Kunches, a space weather scientist at the Space Weather Prediction Center, a division of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

He said solar storms this week could affect communications and global positioning system (GPS) satellites and might even produce an aurora visible as far south as Minnesota and Wisconsin.

An aurora, called aurora borealis or the northern lights in northern latitudes, is a natural light display in the sky in the Arctic and Antarctic regions caused by the collision of energetic charged particles with atoms in the high altitude atmosphere.

Major disruptions from solar activity are rare but have had serious impacts in the past.

In 1989, a solar storm took down the power grid in Quebec, Canada, leaving about six million people without power for several hours.

The largest solar storm ever recorded was in 1859 when communications infrastructure was limited to telegraphs.

The 1859 solar storm hit telegraph offices around the world and caused a giant aurora visible as far south as the Caribbean Islands.

Some telegraph operators reported electric shocks. Papers caught fire. And many telegraph systems continued to send and receive signals even after operators disconnected batteries, NOAA said on its website.

A storm of similar magnitude today could cause up to $2 trillion in damage globally, according to a 2008 report by the National Research Council.

"I don't think this week's solar storms will be anywhere near that. This will be a two or three out of five on the NOAA Space Weather Scale," said Kunches.

SOLAR SCALE

The NOAA Space Weather Scale measures the intensity of a solar storm from one being the lowest intensity to five being the highest, similar to scales that measure the severity of hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.

The first of the three solar explosions from the sun this week already passed the Earth on Thursday with little impact, Kunches said, noting, the second was passing the Earth now and "seems to be stronger."

And the third, he said, "We'll have to see what happens over the next few days. It could exacerbate the disturbance in the Earth's magnetic field caused by the second (storm) or do nothing at all."

Power grid managers receive alerts from the Space Weather Prediction Center to tell them to prepare for solar events, which peak about every 12 years, Tom Bogdan, director of the center said.

He said the next peak, called a solar maximum, was expected in 2013.

"We're coming up to the next solar maximum, so we expect to see more of these storms coming from the sun over the next three to five years," Bogdan said.

(Reporting by Scott DiSavino; Editing by Alden Bentley)

"Expect the best, prepare for the worst" - Zig Ziglar
Defend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 14:05   #14
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defend View Post
Man I wish I had an HF rig setup here. I used to dream of the next solar peak back when I first got my license (just after the last peak).

The story of the 1859 storm is incredible - telegraphs operating without their batteries. Northern Lights visible from the Caribbean. This one they're calling for visibility from MN and WI. Still pretty amazing.
Past few days some guys who were limited to SSB skills were really crying; sounded as if they'd been holed up with Al Gore or something. Dang, I was so busy discounting the gloom & doom that said I couldn't communicate, while keying up the Vibroplex with the guy in New Zealand, that I forgot to look outside to see if there were any pretty green lights dancing...
Shucks.

Apparently there was a X6.9 size solar flare approx 0800Z yesterday.
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 16:54   #15
glebo
Quiet Professional

ya know....I'm happy this is happening...with all the "we don't do HF anymore...it's obsolete" stuff....

Refering to the thread HF is going away in 18E course....nt gonna happen...anyway...maybe wake some eyes up on how sensitive/vulnerable this high speed/technical/gadgetry is...

But yup...higher the better...(well, as long as we're not gettin microwaved) higher freqs...shorter antennas...LOL...don't gotta bust your ass so far through the bush...haaa