Old 10-26-2010, 17:24   #61
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

You know the more I thought about BMT's original post on "TheLengendaryFailure" the more pissed off I got......... What we should have done after we found out who this pecker head was,was to go down were he's stationed and rip off that Tab that he clearly disrespected,kick him in the ass and run him out of Group............ OK,I'm finished with my rant,still not quite sure what eventually came out of this...............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 10-26-2010 at 21:18.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 17:29   #62
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
What we should have done after we found out who this pecker head was,was to go down were he's stationed and rip off that Tab the he clearly disrespected,kick him in the ass and run him out of Group............
We couldnt do that, it would hurt the numbers...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 18:44   #63
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I never got the Tab or the Yarborough knife,but I did earn a "Green Beret" which to me is the most meaningful award I've ever earned....... De Oppresso Liber......

Big Teddy
Amen

Best College or University I went to.. John Wayne U

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:09   #64
Backwoods
Quiet Professional

I think I threw up a little in my mouth reading that.....

Since this is on an open thread let me just say to all of you WHO ARE working on getting through the course......

1. Its a course, its basic skills for SF, take it as a stepping stone and make a decision to master what you have been taught

2. Completion of the course allows you to be given a key to the door, which lets you in the SF house. Its there with your team mates and mentors etc where the REAL education begins.

As a parting comment ALL of us with some rank were young SF guys at one time. We all knew EVERYTHING and had all the opinions that go with it. However, its that one day in combat or that one day in the middle of a third world country that YOU have to make it happen and it all "clicks" and you say to yourself ......"Wow that SGT wasn't so jacked up as I thought and MAN do I have a lot to learn..."
The conduct of unconventional warfare carries heavier demands than the wearing of a beret and the mastery of unusual firearms. Unconventional warfare is a state of mind as well as mission and distinctive set of tactics. -Col.(ret) Hy Rothstein

"Those that would sacrifice a little liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security." -Ben Franklin

Go gcreime cúnna ifrinn do bhall fearga!

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Johnny
Backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 14:18   #65
MVP
Quiet Professional

Team Training

Funny, this thread brings back memories of some of my classmates in O&I (1985) Many were pissed they "didn't learn anything about being on a team" somehow after 16wks they did not understand the training was about guerrilla or partisan warfare and the course about teaching them to be a Bn Staff...

Ok maybe not everything. We were the first class to have Mr. Marvin Wells teaching research papers, I had "tobacco" as a subject. Lol

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 00:04   #66
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
As a 1SG in 1st Bn during 1989 I can well remember the Safety Briefing given to the students at the start of every long weekend and training holiday weekend.

"Check the Square, they got the brief. Big boy rule in effect."
ISG: Don't drink and drive. If you must drink and drive, drive someone else's car. If you're driving someone else's car, drive fast, it will minimize your exposure time.

Students: Got it, where do we sign?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:33   #67
the boy
Quiet Professional

Way to give us a bad name buddy

This kind of scum is the reason that most X-rays (I can at least speak for myself) do not like to be known as such. I know what learning environment this misguided sap is trying to critique. I participated in the compressed language combined with MOS class, and yes there were long nights of studying. The Q-course changes and reacts to the needs of our force. If this master of training doctrine development and strategic policy believes he has a better way, perhaps he should be the commanding General of JFKSWCS. But he is not, he is a punk. If he still holds a tab (I anticipate he has already gotten a DWI or had his ruck thrown in the hall by now) then he shames the Brotherhood and any X-ray that is worth a darn.

The number one piece of advice that I received from my time in the school house was “when you get to your team, regardless of rank, you are the FNG. You will be referred-to and treated as such. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open until you have either served one full year on the team or a combat deployment, whichever comes first.” I followed this guidance and did not utter a word besides yes, no or roger for the first year. I learned my job, I earned respect, and what happened in the Q became a distant and irrelevant memory.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy.
the boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 14:32   #68
Letter
Asset

I do not understand why someone would not learn something as simple as the alphabet before leaving for training.
Letter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:30   #69
Snappy
Asset

Range time in the Q? 2hrs?

despite the date of this thread, I'm sure a lot has changed but I couldn't know how much so..

Now.. the fact of only having 2hrs or about 500 rounds down range in a Qualifying course that puts you in a special operations unit just doesn't sound right? how is that even qualifying? I'm potentially a 18x recruit but what this man has said (regardless of his attitude) is a bit discouraging to hear. I want the best training In the world. It is one of my many reasons for wanting to join SF. I hope my concern is understandable. The point about how they promote SF to get more recruits with the high speed film clips of the awesome training is a good point. It does imply a misconception of the reality of training I'm sure. But it is something I look forward to and I'm sure all of you did as well. Now I'm sure In going to get hammered by some of you because I'm a civi who knows nothing as Ive seen you guys destroy people on this site. The average BUD/s student in 3rd phase puts down about 10,000-20,000 rounds in a matter of 7 weeks. live demo, and live round exercises. This seems to not be implemented based on this original threads comments. Is the 2hr of range time a funding issue or just the way of design? At what point does the marksmanship and time behind the gun become proficient and constant? Or does this skill require someone to attend a school once they get to a team? Or is it the big boy rules of you need to go learn yourself by finding a civilian coach? Can somebody (without bashing me on being a civilian and not knowing what I'm talking about) give me a better understanding.

Last edited by Snappy; 05-01-2017 at 10:56.
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:27   #70
Pete
Quiet Professional

Interesting first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
despite the date of this thread, I'm sure a lot has changed but I couldn't know how much so..

Now.. the fact of only having 2hrs or about 500 rounds down range in a Qualifying course that puts you in a special operations unit just doesn't sound right? how is that even qualifying? I'm potentially a 18x recruit but what this man has said (regardless of his attitude) is a bit discouraging to hear. I want the best training In the world. It is one of my many reasons for wanting to join SF. I hope my concern is understandable. The point about how they promote SF to get more recruits with the high speed film clips of the awesome training is a good point. It does imply a misconception of the reality of training I'm sure. But it is something I look forward to and I'm sure all of you did as well. Now I'm sure In going to get hammered by some of you because I'm a civi who knows nothing as Ive seen you guys destroy people on this site. The average BUD/s student in 3rd phase puts down about 10,000-20,000 rounds in a matter of 7 weeks. live demo, and live round exercises. This seems to not be implemented based on this original threads comments. Is the 2hr of range time a funding issue or just the way of design? At what point does the marksmanship and time behind the gun become proficient and constant? Or does this skill require someone to attend a school once they get to a team? Or is it the big boy rules of you need to go learn yourself by finding a civilian coach? Can somebody (without bashing me on being a civilian and not knowing what I'm talking about) give me a better understanding.
Interesting first post after your intro.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:55   #71
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Your entire post is gobbledygook.
Old 05-01-2017, 14:01   #72
Snappy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Your entire post is gobbledygook.
I don't understand?
Old 05-01-2017, 14:15   #73
Pete
Quiet Professional

We know

Quote:
I don't understand?
We know
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 18:10   #74
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Sheesh.... you know everything.... we've been faking it all this time, 2 hours if you're on a really awesome team, maybe!

Go be a SEAL...................... please.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 18:28   #75
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

That post gave me a headache..
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote