Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Comedy Zone

Old 03-30-2021, 08:35   #31
RCummings
Guerrilla

Hopefully the SOE whiskey is shipped bottled or drunk at Camp X.

http://www.camp-x.com/camp-x.html
RCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:17   #32
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Perhaps some of the barriers are coming down with regulations thanks to small American Distillers? I’ve been eyeing the 291 Brand and noticed that their E for experimental has won awards for wheat Whiskey, I’m not clear if E is a wheated bourbon or not? I’m also curious about the Aspen wood staves used in the finishing barrels, I wouldn’t have thought that comparable to Oak?
https://distillery291.com/whiskeys/

https://beerconnoisseur.com/articles...lorado-whiskey

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:55   #33
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Think I'm going to repopulate this into a thread that is not the Comedy Zone...

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:00   #34
rsdengler
Area Commander

I kind of wish I was a Whiskey drinker, I could be lounging out on my back deck with a drink and a cigar....they just go hand-n-hand. But I'd probably fall off my deck...lol...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:21   #35
TJ11B
Auxiliary

If I have the extra $ then Glenmorangie is the one I prefer. I guess a wise man drinks bourbon that way he remembers what he's drinking.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:29   #36
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ11B View Post
If I have the extra $ then Glenmorangie is the one I prefer. I guess a wise man drinks bourbon that way he remembers what he's drinking.
You should try the Barrel Proof Elijah Craig...
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 20:02   #37
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Not sure if it has been discussed, but the Horse Soldiers Reserve is excellent, if a little pricey.

Worth a try, and they ship to several states.

Also open right now, we have Weller's, Old Forester Birthday, Angel's Envy, Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, and my regular sipping whiskey, Bernheim Original.

Buffalo Trace products are extremely hard to come by these days. It will be a few years before their current expansion produces significantly more whiskey.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 20:24   #38
pyreaux
Guerrilla

Reaper, thanks for that I've been wondering about the Horse Soldier. May be celebrating a new job soon. Seems like a good excuse to buy a nice bottle.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 20:46   #39
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyreaux View Post
Reaper, thanks for that I've been wondering about the Horse Soldier. May be celebrating a new job soon. Seems like a good excuse to buy a nice bottle.
You will not go wrong with any of the Horse Soldier Bourbons.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:57   #40
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf1echo View Post
I’ve been eyeing the 291 Brand and noticed that their E for experimental has won awards for wheat Whiskey
They call it a Rye and use some unique barreling.

Quote:
Award-winning small-batch whiskey distillery Distillery 291 out of Colorado recently released their 291 “M” Colorado Whiskey for the holidays that just passed, a new whiskey made with 291’s flagship rye that is finished in whiskey barrels previously used to age maple syrup.

The whiskey starts as the distillery’s 291 Colorado Rye Whiskey, which is aged in new American white oak barrels and finished with Aspen staves, before being transferred to barrels previously used to barrel-age Wisconsin maple syrup by producer Lincoln County Reserve Maple Syrup. It was then finished for an additional four months.

With official tasting notes making mention of toasted oak, toffee, maple syrup, and figs, the 291 “M” Colorado whiskey reportedly gives a rich and spicy taste that the distillery describes as “liquid french toast with a serious kick.”

The new whiskey is presented at 123.4 proof for a suggested retail price around $105 per 750 ml bottle and is available at Distillery 291’s tasting room and select Colorado retailers. The release contains a limited quantity of 866 bottles and stands as the first new label introduced by 291 in five years.
Using the maple syrup barrels is a big plus,, but only 4 months??
@ 123.4 proof the angles hardly get their fair share..
g

PS: I would add the whisky business is a billion dollar industry,, read: reviews and awards are a bit contrived and self-manufactured

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:57   #41
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
JJ Good catch, I was thinking wheat in the literal sense. I recall the description from “Our Southern Highlanders “ regarding the folks with greater means adding rye to corn liquor in the Southern Blue Ridge. I do enjoy the Rye Bourbons for the most part.

I agree with your last comment, I often feel I’m in the epicenter of self congratulation here in Colorado. Besides the Real estate market another favorite of mine is the street department, their heads tell us they’re on time and under budget constantly... I suppose that’s a good thing because we would never know that unless they told us.

The truth is I’m thrilled to taste some Jack Daniels single barrel select or some 4 roses on occasion Jack’s SBS Rye is pretty tasty IMO.

There does seem to be a lot of smaller breweries and distilleries here as well as some liquors that are manufactured for brands. One of my favorite adds for a small distiller in Basalt was “ The difference between our distillery and some others is that we actually have a distillery.”

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 04-08-2021 at 05:59.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 18:10   #42
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Redemption out of Indiana makes a "High Rye Bourbon"

Corn, Rye and Barley.

I've found it a good go-to for sipping straight or in a traditional Old Fashioned if I don't have straight Rye handy

REDEMPTION HIGH RYE BOURBON BARREL SELECT

James Madison
Old 04-09-2021, 08:05   #43
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Redemption out of Indiana makes a "High Rye Bourbon"

Corn, Rye and Barley.

I've found it a good go-to for sipping straight or in a traditional Old Fashioned if I don't have straight Rye handy

REDEMPTION HIGH RYE BOURBON BARREL SELECT
My ADHD got me - at first glance I thought it read "stripping paint".
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:12   #44
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
My ADHD got me - at first glance I thought it read "stripping paint".
LOL

No, that's the plastic bottle stuff

James Madison