Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 04-27-2010, 15:20   #61
rdret1
Quiet Professional

I was never in the Scouts. I grew up on a cattle ranch in Texas. If I wasn't in school, I was working with my Dad. He taught me everything I needed. From the time I was 5 years old, I was horseback with him working cattle. He got me to shooting and hunting around 7 years old. He taught me to run a trap line. I used to supplement my money in school that way. We used to get anywhere from $25 - $40 for a good raccoon, $45 for a bobcat, $30 for a set of coyote ears and $2 apeice for a possum or muskrat.

My closest neighbor was 5 miles away so if I wanted to go hunting by myself, I just went. I spent a lot of time on the creek in the woods.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 16:34   #62
SkiBumCFO
Quiet Professional

Quote:
1. Were you ever in the Boy Scouts
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.
4. Did your Scout training guide you toward your decision to go SF.
5.... Any other comments about Scouts and the Military.
etc etc etc
1. Yes, I was. Joined a troop as it was formed so we had no older scouts we were the plankholders and I was a patrol leader.
2. I can't remember highest level and I was asked to leave the troop/boy scouts after a few years - got in trouble at boy scout camp
3. I loved getting out into the woods which i am sure helped later in life and being in a leadership position from Day 1 was a lot of help
4. wanted to be SF even before boy scouts so the answer would be no.
5. Though I was a Boy Scout reject (they loved me up until i got in trouble - go figure) one of my closest friends in 10th grp was an Eagle Scout. He is one of the finest men i know and he retired as a Bn SGM.
SkiBumCFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:34   #63
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
2. Did you obtain Eagle or what was your highest rank. (I am sure that there are several other Eagles on the board)
3. How did your Scout training help you in your military life or your Civilian life.

1. Yes, Cub Scout, Weblous (Arrow of Light), Boy Scout, Order of the Arrow, Scoutmaster
2. Yes, made Eagle just before 18 and pinned it on during delayed entry.
3. Give me lots of field craft and self confidence. Phase 1 just honed those skills I already had and only thing new as patrolling.
4. Not nessesary as I already planned a life in the military (USAF brat) however when hiking in Philmont when I was 17 the experience of being out alone with 12 guys humping a ruck in middle of nowhere threwout the thought of going into the Marine Corps as a tanker. Ended up enlisting on a SF contract less then a year later.
5. Baden Powell started the Boy Scouts as a stepping stone to the military. Some of my fondest memories was as a 24 yr old Scoutmaster in Bad Tolz, Germany taking the scouts through the Alps and Italy (course fathers were all SF too)

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 20:04   #64
albeham
Quiet Professional

Looks like their are a lot of us that scouts have been a big part of our lives.

So here is a good question:

The 4 Rivers District of the Baltimore Council is looking at doing a wilderness survival type camp-out, or merit badge support for the Boy Scouts troops.

I though it would be not only cool, but a great influence if a team or two would help us do this.
Being a SF type that I am I could do it all by myself. But why have all of the fun myself. So how can I talk to? Would like a POC to see if we can make this happen.

AL
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24   #65
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
1. Yes, Cub Scout, Weblous (Arrow of Light), Boy Scout, Order of the Arrow, Scoutmaster
2. Yes, made Eagle just before 18 and pinned it on during delayed entry.
3. Give me lots of field craft and self confidence. Phase 1 just honed those skills I already had and only thing new as patrolling.
4. Not nessesary as I already planned a life in the military (USAF brat) however when hiking in Philmont when I was 17 the experience of being out alone with 12 guys humping a ruck in middle of nowhere threwout the thought of going into the Marine Corps as a tanker. Ended up enlisting on a SF contract less then a year later.
5. Baden Powell started the Boy Scouts as a stepping stone to the military. Some of my fondest memories was as a 24 yr old Scoutmaster in Bad Tolz, Germany taking the scouts through the Alps and Italy (course fathers were all SF too)

CD
I was a scoutmaster when I was at TASCOM, in Worms, Germany in 1970. My wife and I took the troop to Garmich by train on a ski weekend so that we coulf avail the services od the Ski Patrol of the Armed Forces Recreation unit there. Most of the scouts were the sons of high ranking officers including the grand son of LTG Eifler.

When we changed trains in Munich, several of the scouts didn't wait until the train stopped but jumped off with their ruck sacks on. As I chewed them out, one boy , whose father was a colonel smarted off to me about how I was just a sergeant and his dad outranked me.

Before walking into town from the barracks provided to the troop by AFRC, I told the troop to get their jackets because it was going to be colder on the hike back. The same boy who had gave me crap at the train station mothed off about how he didn't want to get his jacket and I couldn't make him because I was only a sergeant.

I put my arm around his shoulders and walked him around the corner. When we were out of sight of the troop, I told the boy that if he didn't mind me I was going to kick his ass. I explained to him that his father outranked me, but he didn't. I also told him that if he wanted to tell his dad when we got back to Worms that he could.

We walked back to the troop and the boy went into the barracks and got his jacket.

My wife asked me what I said to the boy and all I would tell her was that I used "CHILD PSYCHOLOGY".

When we got back to Worms, I was standing with General Eifler when the boy and his dad approached. The dad started to say something to me but changed his mind when he saw the general. Instead, he thanked me for straightining his son out.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05   #66
Boomer-61
Auxiliary

scouts

I was a cub scout then explorer scout. I got more out of scouting when I began to lead. I was in it for ten years and did everything from merit badge instruction to scoutmaster. I think scouting has a lot more to offer young men today than other opportunities like sports, school clubs and the like. Young men from broken homes have the opportunity to see men doing what men do, role models. I think the BSA promotes family and community unity and most of all not to live so much for yourself. Kids today are consumed with their selves and rarely consider others. I think scouting makes better citizens, makes them more socially aware and more respectful of authority. Scouting provides a multitude of skill sets through the merit badge system and leadership opportunities. Eagle Scouts are privilaged with scolarships, better job opportunities (mostly withing scouting) and rank privilage in most branches of the service, (one pay grade). My son is an Eagle Scout and has worked as an instructor at summer camp three years in a row. He will be headed to the USCG next year.
Thank you for this thread.
Boomer-61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 13:59   #67
BearW
Asset

Cubs as well as boy scouts and ventures-until i was 15

Scouts Canada's highest award is the Chief Scout Award which i received at age 14, under the tutelage of my father, grandpa and the Scouters (Canadian equiv to Scout Master, or Scout leader)

Confidence outdoors, working with knots at a young age helped me when i became interested in climbing and boating. Swimming skills i learn with cubs/scouts were basis on which my skills now are built on.
A Deep seeded respect for the environment and the land, tools of fieldcraft and (perhaps most importantly) the understanding that being a little bit uncomfortable all the time is normal.

It guided me to the army, then drew me towards SoF because i wanted more responsibility, more time outdoors etc. The Big Army didn't do enough outdoorsy stuff for me so i thought i'd give SoF a try. Kind of childish i guess in the end but i'd rather be in the bush practicing hootch building and gutting fish than sweeping the foyer back at battalion...... Now as i re read that it doesn't sound that childish at all, it just sounds fun!

Years ago i watched a cheesy spy movie with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt where they flashback to Brad Pitts days in Vietnam as a SOG Sniper or something of the like. All very 'hollywood' and very cheesy but one of the lines i did like was when someone asked Pitt's character where he learned to soldier-his response was "In the Boy Scouts, Sir".
Still makes me chuckle.

Bear
Old 08-23-2010, 13:35   #68
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearW View Post
All very 'hollywood' and very cheesy but one of the lines i did like was when someone asked Pitt's character where he learned to soldier-his response was "In the Boy Scouts, Sir".
Still makes me chuckle.
I think the question was where he (Pitt's character) learned to shoot. As a Rifle Shooting merit badge instructor, I'll vouch for the respectable qualification standards required to earn it.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 15:26   #69
BearW
Asset

Razor,
I stand corrected sir! I'm as unfamiliar with the program as i am the film, i suppose. I don't think Scouts Canada had a rifle shooting badge. I think it would be a good idea though, to teaching young boys firearms safety and the principals of marksmanship at a young age. I think helps foster a life long respect for firearms and a certain depth of capability that i don't think you can get anywhere else, save perhaps the army.
Old 08-23-2010, 19:47   #70
hjcook
Quiet Professional

BSA

I was a Boy Scout--did not make it to Eagle, one of my few regrets. ended at Life Scout. However, my scouting helped in many ways when I entered the military. While many other recruits struggled with establishing a "pace count," I knew what that was and I was already proficient in land navigation. I also understood the do's and dont's of survival and did not ever struggle with wood-craft and field craft of any nature. In short, I was prepared for the field and never had to waste energy or brainpower picking up field craft. I could always concentrate on the pure military aspects of the training. All because I had a good scout-master.
Later, much later I became involved in Scouting as an adult and attained the rank of Wood-Badge--which was also a breeze after 33 yrs of SF time. A sort of reversal of skill sets.
There are no better laws to live by than the Boy Scout Laws.
Scout training helped immensely in my military training and later military training helped as much in training young scouts and scout leaders.
hjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:27   #71
wet dog

hjcook

Welcome to PS.com brother, thanks for the BSA story, they're always welcomed. Be sure to post an introduction as per site rules, take care.

WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjcook View Post
I was a Boy Scout--did not make it to Eagle, one of my few regrets. ended at Life Scout. However, my scouting helped in many ways when I entered the military. While many other recruits struggled with establishing a "pace count," I knew what that was and I was already proficient in land navigation. I also understood the do's and dont's of survival and did not ever struggle with wood-craft and field craft of any nature. In short, I was prepared for the field and never had to waste energy or brainpower picking up field craft. I could always concentrate on the pure military aspects of the training. All because I had a good scout-master.
Later, much later I became involved in Scouting as an adult and attained the rank of Wood-Badge--which was also a breeze after 33 yrs of SF time. A sort of reversal of skill sets.
There are no better laws to live by than the Boy Scout Laws.
Scout training helped immensely in my military training and later military training helped as much in training young scouts and scout leaders.
Old 02-02-2011, 00:16   #72
andwerise
Asset

Quote:

etc etc etc

1. Yes. I can even claim the full ascension from Tiger Cubs (First Grade) through Eagle Scout. Add Order of the Arrow in there for good measure.
2. Yes. 3 days before my 18th birthday. Got distracted by the 'fumes...gas fumes, perfumes, etc...But got it done and I am damn proud of it.
3. Being in 2 smaller/newer troops and being the only one also active in varsity sports, I was thrust into many official/unofficial leadership roles. Also utilizing manpower in my Eagle Project prepared me for running a semi-varsity cycling team in College and managing a few bands also.Working under scoutmasters with no outdoor experience seems like an experience I will fall back on later in life as well. I will be sure to update this once I have some military experiences to comment on
4. Absolutely. Just wish I had come to my senses a long time ago.
5. Would really like to see the military more active in scouting. In my 12 years in scouting I never once spoke with a recruiter, and rarely saw them at local jamborees/scout world events. I understand that may just be my troop or district, but I can certainly say if I had been in contact with QP's or other soldiers while in scouts I may have made some very different decisions.

All this talk about Scouts reminds me of a great movie line from "Red Dawn", when the Cuban Colonel lists off the qualifications of the mayor's son, one of the Wolverine Guerillas fighting in the mountains: "member of an elite paramilitary organization: Eagle Scouts". Always makes me grin

Last edited by andwerise; 02-02-2011 at 00:20.
andwerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09   #73
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
. . . when hiking in Philmont when I was 17 the experience of being out alone with 12 guys humping a ruck

in middle of nowhere

threwout the thought of going into the Marine Corps as a tanker

Ended up enlisting on a SF contract less then a year later.CD
Kids say the damnedest things I'm glad someone slapped you.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41   #74
Sarski

Quote:
etc etc etc
1. Started with Indian Guides (part of YMCA) then went into Cub Scouts and then Webelos.
2. Never went Eagle, know a couple who have, they are high achievers, goal driven, and success oriented. My nephew just recieved his Order of the Arrow over the summer. Webelos is as far as I went.
3. Instilled sense of community, sense of pride, and responsibility to self and others.
4. Not applicable, though it did have a bearing on military life in general.
5. About three years ago I was able to look at a couple of Scouting books from 1954 and compared them with my books which I still have. I was amazed at the shift in knowledge away from what Scouts of that era practiced. If you are able to pick up any of those books from 1954 (online, garage sales...) and share them with your packs/troops, I think you'll find it enjoyable and benificial.

Also, just as a side note...my Dad occaisonally likes to bring up, that "nine out of ten astronauts that set foot on the moon were Eagle Scouts."

Last edited by Sarski; 02-02-2011 at 11:33.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47   #75
Pete
Quiet Professional

Totin' Chip Card

OK - who nevet got a Totin' Chip Card.

At least I still have a sharp ax and all my toes.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote