Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 04-01-2005, 01:31   #16
CommoGeek
Guerrilla

I have the MOLLE with the seperate compartment for the sleep system, 1 long side pouch and two shorter pouches on the other side.

It is a piece of crap.

To close the side pouches you route a strap through a loop on the top flap of the pouch. So you have to remove said strap to access the pouch. I'd much rather have something a bit easier to use. I also seem to carry less with that MOLLE than a Large ALICE. Also I can never seem to get the MOLLE to fit well over my IBA.
YMMV, but I'd take most any other ruck over my issued MOLLE.
CommoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 14:23   #17
Razor
Quiet Professional

Ok, I did some searching to refresh my memory. The new frame is more of a Generation III, is made from different materials than the first two that had all the breakage problems, and is shaped differently to better conform to a wearer's back.

The bag, referred to as the 'MOLLE Large', is similar to the large ALICE bag in that it is one big compartment. This gets rid of the sleeping bag pouch hanging off the bottom, which folks here have noted as being really annoying. It looks very similar to a large ALICE bag, but with a zipper opening to access the bottom half of the bag from the outside, no radio pouch attachment points on the inside, what appears to be a snap fastening internal divider (think CPF-90 laced divider, only with overlapping snaps), and a mesh map pocket on the inside of the top flap. The bag is 28" tall, 10" deep and 18" wide, and is 4160ci in volume. Depending on construction quality, this may be a viable, cost-effective alternative to the large ALICE bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg molle frame back sm.jpg (36.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg MOLLE_Large sm.jpg (60.2 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by Razor; 04-01-2005 at 15:04. Reason: Forgot some details
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 15:27   #18
Floyd
Asset

The CFP-90 I have had to be triple stitched because kept blowing out on us.
It was isuued in the early 90s to us. Thankfully we were isuued the single point releases so jumping it wasnt a problem.
The originals manufactured by Lowe were much better quality
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:30   #19
miller0331
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey
Traded a large ALICE for a Bergen once. That thing could hold more shit that a Ford F-150. Course this may explain why I always got stuck with most of the spare battery's and ammo.
I like that! " Hold more shit than an F-150"...

In the reserve unit I was in here (many years ago...) I was using a black and green REI Morning Star. It was like a footlocker with straps! It held like 5000 ci of gear, internal frame, and padding that would not quit. It was nice as it was a top loading but had access from a front panel also and a zippered section for your bag. Another thing I liked about it, it had a place to slide skis down the sides under the pockets there and mesh pockets on the waist for Nalgene bottles and a detachable waist pack that was waterproof and had a map pocket.

The only thing is, once the Gunney saw that pack, he knew who was going to end up carring all the spare batts and ammo. I think that pack held more shit than deuce and a half!

I was issued a Med ALICE during my active stint and wasn't overly impressed because (1) it killed my back (fixed that with an isomat and riggers tape) (2) it did not hold enough gear for a long CAX. Also, the frames would bend or crack after being thrown out of/into a truck or really rough handling. By the time I turned mine in, it looked like a 100 miles of riggers tape, isomat, and wire....

The ALICE was a good idea at the time but with all the new materials and new thinking in ergonomics, the newer issue rucks are so much better.

- If you cheat, may you cheat death
- If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart
- If you fight, may you fight for a brother
- And if you drink, may you drink with me!"
miller0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09   #20
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Does anyone have any experience with Web Tex packs?

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:39   #21
FROST18E
Quiet Professional

I was fooled at first when I got issued the new SPEARS ruck. I thought it was the best looking piece of gear I had seen in a long time. I packed it with all my gear and went out with the team on a couple rehearsals......... Came back put all my shit back in the ALICE and the spears pack collected dust the rest of the time I was signed for it.

I eventually went with a Tactical Tailor modified ALICE and it was great, cant say enough about it.

On a side note, you ever notice that no matter how much more room your ruck has its always stuffed? Good thing you have a Charlie to come up with the pack list and cross load plan!
FROST18E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:23   #22
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROST18E
I was fooled at first when I got issued the new SPEARS ruck. I thought it was the best looking piece of gear I had seen in a long time. I packed it with all my gear and went out with the team on a couple rehearsals......... Came back put all my shit back in the ALICE and the spears pack collected dust the rest of the time I was signed for it.

I eventually went with a Tactical Tailor modified ALICE and it was great, cant say enough about it.

On a side note, you ever notice that no matter how much more room your ruck has its always stuffed? Good thing you have a Charlie to come up with the pack list and cross load plan!
I agree 100%. I've used the MOLLE (piece of shit) spears (I liked it, but just too small) Gregory (Great concept, but the fact that it weighed almost 13lbs empty, just impractical) so I have stuck with my Alice modified by Tactical Tailor. I've had it for 6-7 years, and for the most part it's the only one I use.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:01   #23
longtab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
Does anyone have any experience with Web Tex packs?
I just surfed into their site. Their packs look ok, but they don't have enough (any) PALS webbing on them or come in coyote brown.

I've rucked an ALICE for 14 years unless I was a rucksack test-dummy. It has its limitations, but like Max_Tab I use a Tactical Tailor ruck. Mine is the MALICE pack #2.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell
longtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:31   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

IMHO, most civilian packs are not properly set up for military use.

They hump better, and are much more comfy, but do not have the external pockets we need for military loads (probably the most popular thing being added to ALICE packs is more pockets). Your average Alpine climber probably does not have to drag out a Claymore, IV set, NVGs, a parachute flare, an MRE, a poncho, a spare battery, etc. quickly and quietly. The civvie pack also does not have to be certified for airborne ops, or being dropped on a lowering line to smash into the ground. The average backpacker probably does not have to hump 125 lbs, of lightweight gear either. Finally, I would surmise that Joe Backpacker does not have to wear his fashion pack over body armor and LCE, or shoot move and communicate (simultaneously) while wearing it. In fact, most civvie packs I have seen are designed to be as light as possible and slick externally, except for hardware tie downs and ice axe lash-ups.

The ALICE pack is a compromise. An ideal military ruck would be sized/sizable, mission configurable, have the extra pockets soldiers are paying to add, better materials and construction, PALS webbing over the exterior, a much better frame, with much better shoulder straps and belt.

Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44   #25
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

I swear by the ALICE. Call me old school.
Best thing is the tactical taylor additions.

Two additions to the ALICE that are well worth the money:

1. the extended closing sewn into the top of the main ruck (to keep stuff from falling out).

2. The enlarged top flap....which is where I kept the things I needed quick access to in the dark (ranger handbook, black watch cap, etc)

JM
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 14:36   #26
longtab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
... 125 lbs, of lightweight gear ...
TR
Classic!

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~ George Orwell
longtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 17:34   #27
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

Thank, Longtab. They're supposedly copies of what Brit SF are using, but that didn't seem likely to me. Supposedly the NZ army is getting new packs soon, along with the MOLLE webbing.

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 19:45   #28
Polar Bear
Auxiliary

Para have you looked at Dana Design?

PB
Old 10-12-2005, 06:57   #29
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Para have you looked at Dana Design?

PB
Dana Design, more specifically Dana Gleason, is the owner of Mystery Ranch as well. None of DD's civilian packs are rated to carry the 125 lbs of lightweight gear noted above by TR.

Mystery Ranch's NICE frame looks promising but $219.00 for just the frame seems a bit steep to me. I am sure once I dont have Cadre to watch out for I will be looking for something to replace/upgrade the ALICE I was issued at CIF.

For now its all I have...level playing ground and all...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 16:17   #30
oorah4jc
Asset

Quote:
Best thing is the tactical taylor additions.

Two additions to the ALICE that are well worth the money:
Speaking of mods, anyone here use shoulder straps that they find to be better than the issued ones? Mine are in need of replacement, and besides that, they kill!