Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-30-2005, 19:11   #76
jasonglh
Guerrilla

The local SO here switched from S&W to Glock a few years ago. I asked why he didnt go with HK since that is what he carries as a back up. He told me he tried to get HK but they had a real attitude if you were not looking to purchase for military use. I have heard that from another Sheriff here so not sure if its an HK issue or just the regional salesperson here.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 21:51   #77
bberkley
Guerrilla

Getting this thread back on target, thanks for all the great info about timepieces.

I bought my first new watch in nearly 2 decades today. I picked up a Casio Pathfinder Solar Triple Sensor with a barometer, altimeter, compass and thermometer.
Old 05-13-2005, 21:59   #78
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberkley
Getting this thread back on target
why ever would we want to do that?
Quote:
I bought my first new watch in nearly 2 decades today. I picked up a Casio Pathfinder Solar Triple Sensor with a barometer, altimeter, compass and thermometer.
no GPS, cell phone, or wireless internet? you wuz ripped off...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 23:14   #79
DDD
Quiet Professional

Go with the Panerai.......I sold my Rolex when I retired, and replaced my Omega with the Panerai recently. Of course I still use my Suunto Observer for field work (I'm not stupid, the frickin Panerai cost more than my car).
DDD
DDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:28   #80
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
Good choice Peregrino. I haven't decided on a watch yet, as there are too many things that are on my list to buy before I go back to the sandbox.
I have my eye (no pun) on some Oakley Hatchets as my next purchase.

http://www.sunglasses-int.com/images/items/05-883.jpg
Don't know if you will read this, but if you do I would recommend the Oakley Dartboards, I don't know if you have seen them yet, but they are my top choice, Own a pair right now and I put them through hell I use it for everything, daily use, ATV riding, went sailing with them and dropped them numerous times and there still in great shape. Its just a suggestion because many people haven't even heard of the dartboards.
Chris
Old 05-17-2005, 21:44   #81
Archangel
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai
Don't know if you will read this, but if you do I would recommend the Oakley Dartboards, I don't know if you have seen them yet, but they are my top choice, Own a pair right now and I put them through hell I use it for everything, daily use, ATV riding, went sailing with them and dropped them numerous times and there still in great shape. Its just a suggestion because many people haven't even heard of the dartboards.
Chris
Thanks Chris, but I ended up going with the Valve: http://akamai.backcountrystore.com.e.../OAKVASGRY.jpg

Similar to Hatchets (Not as nice), but for about $150 less.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:32   #82
Archangel
BANNED USER

Question

Just got a Casio Pathfinder watch & I have a question about the Temperature Gauge.

Should I calibrate the temperature with the watch on my wrist? There seems to be a 10-12 Degree increase when I'm wearing the watch. I'm pretty certain that when I am more active (i.e., rucking, running) then that will increase the temperature even more. Or should I just deduct the 10-12 degree temperature difference (when I'm wearing the watch) to determine actual air temperature?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:40   #83
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
Just got a Casio Pathfinder watch & I have a question about the Temperature Gauge.

Should I calibrate the temperature with the watch on my wrist? There seems to be a 10-12 Degree increase when I'm wearing the watch. I'm pretty certain that when I am more active (i.e., rucking, running) then that will increase the temperature even more. Or should I just deduct the 10-12 degree temperature difference (when I'm wearing the watch) to determine actual air temperature?
The instruction manual that came with mine says to take the temperature with the watch OFF your body - after allowing 20-30 minutes for the watch to stabilize with the ambient temperature. That makes it a lot less useful than the other sensors. My solution is a Kestrel 4000 at the range and a Zipper pull thermometer in the woods. Though personally I find it's usually better not to know how miserable you really are. FWIW - Peregrino
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 14:40   #84
Jo Sul
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino
The instruction manual that came with mine says to take the temperature with the watch OFF your body - after allowing 20-30 minutes for the watch to stabilize with the ambient temperature. That makes it a lot less useful than the other sensors. My solution is a Kestrel 4000 at the range and a Zipper pull thermometer in the woods. Though personally I find it's usually better not to know how miserable you really are. FWIW - Peregrino
Sounds like a useless gimmick - a watch with a thermometer that only works if you don't wear the watch. Give the damn thing to your team medic and tell him to use it as a rectal thermometer.

The best watch I have ever had for field use was a $15 cheapo from K-mart. I've had it for years and still use it.
Old 08-28-2006, 19:40   #85
wfraser
Asset

Marathon

Anyone ever use the Tridium watches? I personally think this is the best option on a watch. Sounds lazy..but I don't like to hit a button to see the time. I have the current US Marathon watch w/ tridium and scratch resistant bezel. I replaced the rubber wrist bands with the zulu nylon watch band. So far so good. The only thing I don't like about the tridium is the glow on certain missions. I like to be concealed as much as possible and the "glow" sometimes makes me paranoid. I am sure most of ya'll have had that feeling of being exposed. Other than that everything is fine. Later. www. marathonwatches.com
wfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 20:07   #86
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I would find it easier to explain to my wife why I spent several thousand dollars on a pistol than a $1500 watch.
That's why you never explain TDY money to Osama Bin Mama....
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 21:24   #87
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfraser
Anyone ever use the Tridium watches? I personally think this is the best option on a watch. Sounds lazy..but I don't like to hit a button to see the time. I have the current US Marathon watch w/ tridium and scratch resistant bezel. I replaced the rubber wrist bands with the zulu nylon watch band. So far so good. The only thing I don't like about the tridium is the glow on certain missions. I like to be concealed as much as possible and the "glow" sometimes makes me paranoid. I am sure most of ya'll have had that feeling of being exposed. Other than that everything is fine. Later. www. marathonwatches.com
That is why I quit wearing radioluminescent watches. Along with the fact that they lose their charge over time. If you cover the watch face to stop the glow, you are back to needing two hands to see what time it is.

My Casio has a feature where it will illuminate if I tilt my wrist in a certain angle. I can also turn that feature off if I do not want to be calling attention to myself.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:53   #88
x SF med
Quiet Professional

I'm kind of a watch junkie.
All through my SF time, I had a 1981 Seiko Diver - weighed about 3/4 lb and is indestructible, still have it, still keeps perfect time.
My TAG KV6500 is the watch, but I've spent less on a couple of cars.
I have a Citizen Eco Drive - nice watch, no batteries, keeps excellent time.
Suunto Regatta - too many bells and whistles for normal use, but great for sailing and working in the mountains.
In the Q course, my Seiko battery ran down, and I couldn't get it replaced expeditiously - so I was killing Casio G-Shocks every 2 weeks (could even get them at the Camp McK rolling PX) I did have one last a whole month.
Citizen Aviator - ok watrch, not what I expected.
A good, no nonsense, light durable, fairly inexpensive field watch is the Wenger Swiss Army Field Watch - love mine, need to replace thew battery.

There's my .14 on watches. Next week - pens.....

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27   #89
MAB32

Thanks guys for the help! Now it is time for the decision making!
Old 08-29-2006, 17:09   #90
chittnp
Asset

Love My Tag Heuer Professional. Great watch. If you have a decent budget take a look at the Tag Aquagraph