Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 04-27-2016, 17:46   #61
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
Cruz needs to perform some selfless service, pack it in and do his part in unifying the party and the country
When has the second place candidate for the nomination EVER dropped out before the convention? The battleground is being shaped, the battle is yet to come.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 18:08   #62
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
When has the second place candidate for the nomination EVER dropped out before the convention? The battleground is being shaped, the battle is yet to come.

Pat
He has absolutely no mathmatical chance of reaching 1237, his chances of winning a contested convention are worse than Kaisch, Cruz is the not the reason for the 9-10% jump in the GOP participation and Cruz's popular vote numbers pale in comparison to Romney, let alone Bush II.

He has been eliminaTED

But if a miracle were to happen, and Ted steals the nomination I will vote for him.
Old 04-27-2016, 18:24   #63
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
He has absolutely no mathmatical chance of reaching 1237, his chances of winning a contested convention are worse than Kaisch, Cruz is the not the reason for the 9-10% jump in the GOP participation and Cruz's popular vote numbers pale in comparison to Romney, let alone Bush II.

He has been eliminaTED

But if a miracle were to happen, and Ted steals the nomination I will vote for him.
He's not eliminated until the magic number and they are heading into 10 states that Trump has ignored. Ted's team has been in CA for over a year. Trump's people just showed up recently. Even if Ted can't get the magic number, there is a lot of haggling that goes on at the conventions. It's not only about who will be the candidate.

And I will certainly vote for Trump if he gets the nomination. But, I fear that he would be just like The Governator and cave at the first defeat.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 19:25   #64
Patrin
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
But, I fear that he would be just like The Governator and cave at the first defeat.
There's absolutely no evidence in Trump's history that will occur, so fear not.

On Cruz...he put up a good fight, it's time to put the country first and bow out gracefully...unify behind Trump.

We'll see if he has it in him...soon.
Patrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 20:17   #65
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrin View Post
There's absolutely no evidence in Trump's history that will occur, so fear not.

On Cruz...he put up a good fight, it's time to put the country first and bow out gracefully...unify behind Trump.

We'll see if he has it in him...soon.
I doubt after today's "big announcement" of Carly Fiorina as a running-mate that he'll have another announcement tomorrow that he's stepping down. Cue up "California Dreamin'"...

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 21:28   #66
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
I doubt after today's "big announcement" of Carly Fiorina as a running-mate that he'll have another announcement tomorrow that he's stepping down. Cue up "California Dreamin'"...
After that Carly's singing debut.......I dunno
Old 04-28-2016, 10:25   #67
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Carly Fiorina is a knife fighter. If you grade vice presidential picks on their ability to attack, she was a perfect choice. She is smart, classy, and articulate. If I had my choice, it would be her debating Hillary Clinton.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59   #68
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Carly Fiorina is a knife fighter. If you grade vice presidential picks on their ability to attack, she was a perfect choice. She is smart, classy, and articulate. If I had my choice, it would be her debating Hillary Clinton.
Strictly on this point I have to agree. She would get Clinton backed into a corner & bleeding out so fast that all Hillary would have left is "everyone's picking on me."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 22:01   #69
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
IMO, if Senator Cruz somehow makes it past Mr. Trump, Ms. Fiorina's tenure as HP's CEO will be a line of attack http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/...rly-did-at-hp/.

I think that Trump benefits from a forest of entangling NDAs. He says he's a great deal maker and those who know otherwise remain silent because the resulting litigation will cost them a fortune.

I believe that Trump's objective is to destroy utterly the conservative wing of the Republican Party, winning the American presidency will be a happy accident.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44   #70
Pete
Quiet Professional

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
......I believe that Trump's objective is to destroy utterly the conservative wing of the Republican Party, winning the American presidency will be a happy accident.
As a conservative I'll have to disagree with you on that.

I never warmed to Cruz and was glad Trump was in the race.

The conservative wing of the GOP isn't going anywhere - unless the GOPe pulls some slicky boy stuff at the convention.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:30   #71
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
I believe that Trump's objective is to destroy utterly the conservative wing of the Republican Party, winning the American presidency will be a happy accident.
Seriously???? Sigaba you must be joking with your raspy humor.

Karl Rove, Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, John McCain, Mitt Romney and many, many others have been leading the charge to destroy the GOP for the past 8+ years. They, the GOP have been handed both houses, two opportunities for a POTUS candidate and they have squandered their oppurtunies.

At best Trump is kicking the leg of a one legged stool.

News ALERT!!!!

Quote:
The GOP Has Split into Trump and Ryan Wings

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presid...mp-ryan-wings/

Last edited by Paslode; 04-29-2016 at 06:51.
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:00   #72
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
That's like destroying an empty field.......
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31   #73
Box
Quiet Professional

The "party" hasn't had a conservative wing in quite some time.
...any differing opinion from any random liberal shithead is discounted out of pocket. Liberal shitheads don't rate an opinion when it comes to defining conservatism.

I may paint with a wide brush and random strokes, but it just makes it easier to get paint on everything that needs paint - when painting liberals, I am not interested in quality or even applying an even coat. "Red" is "Red" when it comes to dirty, smelly, boisterous, arrogant, hypocritical, self important, pseudointellectual, detached from social reality, liberal ideology.

Liberals cause diarrhea.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:53   #74
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
They, the GOP have been handed both houses, two opportunities for a POTUS candidate and they have squandered their opportunities.
At what point do we rank and file voters take responsibility for the past sixteen years?

Collectively, we did not press Bush the Younger on his definition of victory in the war on terror, how the war would be financed, nor how it would be fought. We did not rise to the challenge of universal health care by presenting viable alternatives consistent with the party's ideology in a timely manner (e.g tort reform, cutting FDA red tape, transparent billing) . We have not addressed two significant causes of political gridlock in Washington D.C. (redistricting and campaign finance). We have not figured out how to frame our ideology and policy preferences in ways that resonate in a changing demographic environment.

Instead, we've become increasingly focused on painting with broad brushes, saying "no" without offering alternatives, and mocking profanely anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with us. We lament the degradation of American values but tolerate venomous slurs and memes if they're used to describe public figures and private citizens we don't like.

Historically, the GOP has always had a liberal wing and a conservative wing.* Trump is destroying the latter by allowing its critics and detractors to paint it with the broad brush of nativism. Trump saps the intellectual credibility of conservative Republicans because he embodies the kind of cynical opportunism that has been previously attributed to the likes of Al Sharpton, the sitting president, and Mrs. Clinton. He practices a brand of politics that is the exact opposite of what the framers thought ideal.

The company for which I work (Republican to its core) will benefit greatly from a Trump administration focused on urban development. But if you're a conservative who lives in a rural area, how are you going to feel about collaborative efforts between the private sector and the federal government that punish economically those who prefer not to live in cities and want to drive the cars they own?

Trump's focus on greatness for its own sake will result in a grand strategy reminiscent of Spain in the late 1800s.

My $0.02.

* Lewis L. Gould, Grand Old Party: A History of the Republicans (2003). MOO, the GOP has served the nation best when the two wings find ways to compromise and collaborate internally while also reaching across the aisle.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:30   #75
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Karl Rove, Paul Ryan, John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, John McCain, Mitt Romney and many, many others have been leading the charge to destroy the GOP for the past 8+ years.
I disagree with that statement; there hasn't been a real Constitutional conservative in the GOP for decades. They've consistently ignored their constituency for thirty years. Come to think of it, I don't know why I held out hope for the party for as long as I did.