Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 01-19-2011, 02:22   #31
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Not a D, but I would definitely leave DMT on your resume & mention your experience w/ hyperbaric medicine. I see a lot of civilian med jobs looking for chamber operators/tenders.

x/S
Old 01-19-2011, 19:40   #32
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Just a couple of points to consider

You never know when there will be a liberal treehugger like me looking at it and notice something that cranks their motor. You only have to mention a few key words for a combat vet to know who and what you are. Don't overdo it. You may be proud of your service but it may not cut much weight with anyone except a few of us.

Stay with your qualification such as "trained in anatomy", experience with XXX procedures, etc, etc,. Leave the military stuff alone.

Vagueness when cornered such as graduated in upper quadrant of class.

Know who your competition is. If you can't compete head to head with the people like my wife whose academic qualification would choke a goat, then go with what got you where you are.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...hool-medicine/

Finally, if you know someone then work around the backdoor.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:33   #33
Sponge
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the responses fellas,

Have a good one.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21   #34
JoeEOD
Asset

I worked as a teacher for several years after I got out. Then I went into health care. In both settings I was a minority as a male and often the only veteran in the building. I found that any detail about my military service or skills worked against me as I was stereotyped as either a "babykiller" (and I have been called that in an interview) or a potential risk for running amok. Even trying to spin my military experience in generic terms such as "supervised 50 subordinates and managed 10 million dollars in equipment" was not successful. I finally just went with accounting for that time period in my work history:
3/71 - 7/77 US Army active duty
If they really want to know they'll ask for more information.
I now work in a VA hospital where , for a change, my military experience is valued.

There is no problem that can’t be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.
JoeEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:27   #35
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

One thing to keep in mind as well to those who are looking to move from the land of Green-suits to the civilian side. Generating that first resume is the hardest part, but be sure not to stop at that "one" version. If you have targeted a specific position look at what you have and see if there are fine adjustments you can make to target specific items in the position announcement. Speak the language of the organization looking for a new employee. Tossing the 'ole boilerplate resume at random can be frustrating and ineffective.

On a side note:

I have been dealing with a recent trend where H.R. demands the announcements to be increasingly vague in order to draw as many applicants as possible. Key selection criteria is difficult to get through the machine. This of course leads to some very "interesting" interviews as you drill down into the actual experience and qualifications of the candidate.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 19:51   #36
paturner51
Asset

Comments on Resume

I am retired but spent over 25 years in business. But I was also in the Reserves and did 24 months in AFG and IRQ.

My initial suggestion is that you refrain from all the military jargon. Equate what you did in the service using civilian terms.

Nobody really cares how many villages you blew up or people you killed in hte interview. You must TRANSITION from a military speak resume and interview to one that of a civilian.

Ask yourself this question: what did I do that saved money, increased the efficiency (and costs) of my training and how your personal style helped management>? If you can elaborate on that on your resume and in a face to face interview, you will be a lot more successful than you are repersenting now.

Best wishes!
paturner51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:52   #37
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by paturner51 View Post
I am retired but spent over 25 years in business. But I was also in the Reserves and did 24 months in AFG and IRQ.
I must have missed your intro. Or was that it? Let's see...nope that's your first post.

Quote:
Nobody really cares how many villages you blew up or people you killed in hte interview. You must TRANSITION from a military speak resume and interview to one that of a civilian.
Maybe it's just me...but I think anyone who automatically thinks this...probably did neither or else they would know that this isn't something we would care to put on a resume or discuss in an interview.

Quote:
Ask yourself this question: what did I do that saved money, increased the efficiency (and costs) of my training and how your personal style helped management>? If you can elaborate on that on your resume and in a face to face interview, you will be a lot more successful than you are repersenting now.

Best wishes!
You can also ask yourself, "Did I proofread what I just wrote?" "Did I use spellcheck and grammarcheck?" "Did I remember to follow simple instructions?"
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 00:34   #38
Wiseman
Guerrilla Chief

Make sure to use key words that are applicable to the position but don't copy every single thing in the job description. Try to use the key words when you are describing your time in the service. The reason I say this is because with the advent of online applications, recruiters for any field are going to be using a software called PeopleSoft and those essentially screen your resume for these key words before anyone actually prints out and reads it.

Last edited by Wiseman; 02-14-2011 at 00:35. Reason: spelling
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:54   #39
helicom6
Asset

Glad I Searched

I have been having the same issues of explaining my Military service on my resume. I have heard often if it doesn't apply to the job, don't put it on there. The fact that I can take a rotor head apart on a helicopter or relay fire support coords. doesn't apply to my current situation. But management skills, team work, and leadership qualities does, as well communication skills.

Thanks for the help and extra information.

Out
helicom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 13:55   #40
Sponge
Quiet Professional

Success

Quick update:

Was accepted to several Dental schools and have settled on Houston. From the feedback I received from the admission's deans, the military angle was a huge plus. It factored in very well for the movitations portion, personal statement, leadership experience, and service.

I would definitely state that I veered closer to the "people-person" aspects of my job than the "Barrel chested steely eyed freedom fighter" portions. But again - there are positives everywhere if you recognize your audience and shade your experiences correctly.

Please feel free to contact me if I can help assist any fellow brother's transition into professional schools. I'd be happy to share tips that worked for me.

-Greg
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 00:28   #41
Flashbang12
Quiet Professional

With respects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney (RIP) View Post
Resume writing is both an art and a science and trying to capture qualities you feel that you have by virtue of your service means nothing to most who read it unless they have some basic grounding in the military. This is nothing more than understanding the target audience and laying out what you accomplished in terms they understand. Most guys write something as if they were going before a promotion board, others use terms like "leadership and management skills" and those in the civilian community reading such terms use their own frame of reference in defining what you wrote to fit there own parameters. I have found that the best way to approach this is to fully understand the position you want, the values of the organization you are attempting to join, their weaknesses and strengths. Build your resume to show that you are not only a team player but bring to their organization values they hold important and that your strengths will contribute to their goals. I have also found that one resume does not fit all situations. It is just like walking in and talking with the indig, you have to understand what they understand, what they want, and how you are going to help them get there. It all starts with a mission analysis based on good intel

I have probably overstated the obvious, however I just drew conclusions from what you wrote. Things like "quality job" can mean many things to many people. Hell shoveling horse shit from stable in Illinois can be a "quality job" if they give you a bucket loader but not so if you have to use a spoon. As your Senator from Illinois states-words matter.
I felt compelled to chime in after reading Jack Moroney's post on his advice of an effective resume.

I just happened to stumble on to this thread while using the "search" feature, since I have transitioned out from active duty recently.

It so humbling that his words of wisdom helps so many people without ever meeting him in person.

Rest in paradise, sir.
Flashbang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 13:36   #42
Soulless
Asset

Necro-Posting

I understand this is a fairly old thread, but it remains a relavent challenge for individuals transitioning from military to civilian. Coincidentally, I have spend a fairly successful career (so far) in Federal Human Resources. So, while some of my input on this issue may have specific applications to that area, I do know some more general tips for how you should be packaging yourself as a professional going out there. The good news is that the job market is improving slightly.

All that being said I prefer to work one on one with folks, so PM me, otherwise if you have a specific question, I'll do my best to provide a specific answer.
Old 04-12-2016, 17:00   #43
Bettendorf
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulless View Post
I understand this is a fairly old thread, but it remains a relavent challenge for individuals transitioning from military to civilian. Coincidentally, I have spend a fairly successful career (so far) in Federal Human Resources. So, while some of my input on this issue may have specific applications to that area, I do know some more general tips for how you should be packaging yourself as a professional going out there. The good news is that the job market is improving slightly.

All that being said I prefer to work one on one with folks, so PM me, otherwise if you have a specific question, I'll do my best to provide a specific answer.
email being prepared

Last edited by Bettendorf; 04-12-2016 at 17:01. Reason: edit
Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote