Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 03-22-2005, 19:49   #16
ccrn
Guerrilla

What about this watch:

http://www.shoplite.com/84601.htm

This watch does not have many features but I think it might basically meet my needs:

Second hand sweep for taking pulses

Alarm

Water resistant

Sturdy band

I like the pathfinder but quite a few of them are all digital and the compass feature would not be allowed in at least one Army school.
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 20:15   #17
jatx
Area Commander

I have a Timex Expedition right now, which I purchased recently to replace my nine year old Timex Ironman. The model I have looks similar to that, ccrn, but without the rotating bezel or digital readout. It is very simple and I like it - but it is really freakin' loud! I cannot leave it on my nightstand or it will keep me awake!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:35   #18
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

G Shock.

I've worn it up to 35,000 feet un-pressurized.
Down to 110 feet below water.
Fired a few hundred thousand rounds while wearing it, to include anti-tank rockets, Claymore mines, etc.
I have fought with it, jumped with it, had it in some of the hottest and coldest climates on this planet, the only thing I've ever replaced on it was the battery.
If I were headed back into combat tomorrow that’s one piece of kit I’d be taking.

TS

BTW, I don’t work for Casio.
Casio did not need to ask me to endorse their watch, they have earned my endorsement!
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 13:20   #19
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

TS - I'm with you. The Casio G-Shock is the most cost effective, durable, versatile watch I've ever owned. I can't claim 35,000 agl/asl unpressurized but I will vouch for it at -240 ffw. So it doesn't have a sweep second hand - just set the countdown timer, push start, quit counting when it goes beep, and do the appropriate multiplication. Besides, I'm with bberkley - I would much rather spend the money on something useful than a piece of jewelry. My ego already has enough support, it doesn't need expensive watches. FWIW - Peregrino

Last edited by Peregrino; 03-23-2005 at 13:22. Reason: Spelling
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 13:34   #20
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Edited for bad taste

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 13:38   #21
JGarcia
Guerrilla

Aafes

I had the battery for my G shock changed at AAFES Camp Doha, then went swimming in the Gulf the next day, Viola! one dead G Shock! Evidently saltwater and circuit boards dont mix well. So I bought another G shock. Ditto what TS said. Just make sure they always change the seal when they change the battery.
Old 03-23-2005, 13:44   #22
Air.177
Quiet Professional

A couple of friends of mine have the new G-shock Solar Atomic that gets a signal twice a day from the Atomic clock and uses Solar power. They were very reasonably priced at Sears of all places, I believe they were Around $70 for the basic model
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 13:49   #23
Capt_G
Asset

I was a G-shock guy for ages until I was issued a Suunto Advisor. Last year I got one of teh new Nike watches to try out and if you think that the Suunto's buttons are bad for inadvertantly changing your function, the Nike buttons are a nightmare. They even turn my chime on and off especially when wearing a jacket.
Capt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 13:54   #24
hoepoe
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_M4_Shooter
I had the battery for my G shock changed at AAFES Camp Doha, then went swimming in the Gulf the next day, Viola! one dead G Shock! Evidently saltwater and circuit boards dont mix well. So I bought another G shock. Ditto what TS said. Just make sure they always change the seal when they change the battery.
You guys had it good, my first G-SHock had most of the Med off Tel Aviv inside when i went for a swim the day after buying!! It never had a seal!!!

Anyway, Casio exchanged it no problem, and i have the exchanged one still, about 3 years later.

Hoepoe
hoepoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 15:35   #25
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_G
I was a G-shock guy for ages until I was issued a Suunto Advisor. Last year I got one of teh new Nike watches to try out and if you think that the Suunto's buttons are bad for inadvertantly changing your function, the Nike buttons are a nightmare. They even turn my chime on and off especially when wearing a jacket.
Oh that is tactically sound

Yesterday I got a very base model G shock for 40 bucks at walmart.

I almost got the Atomic/ Solar one but I figured I would beat the shit out of the 40 dollar one and if it held up then I would upgrade.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 03-23-2005 at 22:25.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 21:54   #26
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32
After visiting the "Doxa" website I can conclude with the utmost certainty that those of you who have them are in an "elite" fraternity all to yourselves.
Doxa's are out of the reach of this mere "Civil Servant".

Hey, it only cost $200.00. I've had it for 26 years. That's $7.70 a year. By the way, I couldn't afford one of the new ones now either. Hell, my car needs at least $1500.00 in repairs. (Didn't have a car in 1969)
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 21:56   #27
strykermed
Asset

Freestyle

I am a former G-shock lover myself , its a great watch no doubt. I use my freestyle here in Iraq (http://www.freestyleusa.com/product/...ebuzz.html)and the best feature on this watch is the Vibrating alarm. Perfect to help keep track of time in noisy vehicles, and aircraft and it goes without saying you'll never have your watch start beeping while your trying to be sneaky sneaky. Plus being a dead sleeper audible watch alarms dont wake me up. Plus the price 70$ makes it pretty affordable. It's also rated to 500 ft although I haven't had it any deeper than a shower so I can't personally vouch on that.

One thing about the $uunto watches I don't like is of course the price and that for all the multifunctions none of my friends watches I have tried had a single gadget on them that actually was useful. unless you are a weatherman what do you need a barometer for ? clinometer, hey it's uphill you can see that right? And my experiences with the compass feature didn't leave me impressed. Maybe to have as a double back up if my compass fails and then My GPS batteries go dead. However 600$ is an expensive back up.

If you are looking for a wrist mounted GPS the Garmin Foretrex 101 (129$) is the Ideal. And it tells you what time it is , GPS time ! It doesn't get any more accurate than that right. However The $uunto GPS watches aren't as clunky or should I say the $uunto are much more wearable than the Garmin Foretrex.

I hope I have been some help
strykermed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 22:17   #28
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykermed
One thing about the $uunto watches I don't like is of course the price and that for all the multifunctions none of my friends watches I have tried had a single gadget on them that actually was useful. unless you are a weatherman what do you need a barometer for ? clinometer, hey it's uphill you can see that right? And my experiences with the compass feature didn't leave me impressed. Maybe to have as a double back up if my compass fails and then My GPS batteries go dead. However 600$ is an expensive back up.

I hope I have been some help
strykermed:

Not sure what your field time is like as a light guy, but I have one of the Casio Pathfinders, and I have used the "gadgets" frequently.

You might consider that your average SF trooper who frequents this site does not ride around in a 15 ton vehicle with a ton of gear strapped to the outside, or have a reaction force on hand which includes a weatherman.

As a field soldier, I used the barometer to tell me when bad weather was approaching, or it was clearing. I use the compass frequently in the woods, in aircraft, or in vehicles when I want to check status on a heading. If you know your route planning, that can tell you where you are on your route. That is particularly handy if we do not have a vehicle power supply or 5 ton with batteries for a GPS out in the boonies where we usually wind up. The altimeter, if properly adjusted, can help you to verify where you are, to help set up a DZ, if your aircraft is climbing or descending, or if you are approaching jump altitude. Believe it or not, you can not always look and tell if you are going up or down hill. I have used the stopwatch to time fire missions, TOTs, to calculate speed, check the burn rate on my time fuze, or about a hundred other things.

It is a bit heavier and bulkier than just a plain wristwatch, but it is one thing I always have on and reduces the need for additional devices that are even bulkier that also measure time, barometric pressure, direction, and altitude.

Just my .02, but in closing, I would recommend that you look around at who you are talking to and where they have been before you start coming across as all-knowing and arrogant. There are some pretty experienced people on here who know what they are doing.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 23:44   #29
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

TR: I have read that the Casio GPS in the watch is not very accurate, and is sometimes 10's of metres off. Any thoughts on that?

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:39   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey14
TR: I have read that the Casio GPS in the watch is not very accurate, and is sometimes 10's of metres off. Any thoughts on that?

Have not seen the Casio with the GPS, just the Suunto, and it seemed to be pretty accurate.

Not a GPS expert, but all of them will depend on the antenna and ability to capture satellites. More satellites equals better accuracy. Not sure what role, if any the power supply plays in this.

Maybe someone who has one can answer that.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote