Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-04-2004, 17:45   #1
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Survival Kit Pouch

I am thinking about a dedicated, purpose-built pouch for a survival kit.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 17:50   #2
jatx
Area Commander

First or second line

How big is it going to be? Is this going to be first or second line gear?
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 18:26   #3
eggroll
Guerrilla

yes I agree.. although I stopped thinking about them and just BUILT one :-)

EGG
Old 12-04-2004, 20:19   #4
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I'm still thinking. Which one is the one you built egg? BTW, you're doing this one too.
1. First line - needs to be always with. Either belt mounted or built for a cargo pocket on pants. The new 5.11 stuff got me thinking. I'm thinking like a bail out of a vehicle under fire kind of thing. Not long term survival. An hour or two or whatever time it takes for the calvary to arrive. If its belt mounted, it needs to go on the rigger belt and horizontal.
2. Size dictated by the above.
3. Needs to hold a Pocket or WETSU-sized kit. A signal mirror (a real one).
4. Med stuff to treat maybe two GSW? No IVs.

What else?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-04-2004, 20:42   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I'm still thinking. Which one is the one you built egg? BTW, you're doing this one too.
1. First line - needs to be always with. Either belt mounted or built for a cargo pocket on pants. The new 5.11 stuff got me thinking. I'm thinking like a bail out of a vehicle under fire kind of thing. Not long term survival. An hour or two or whatever time it takes for the calvary to arrive. If its belt mounted, it needs to go on the rigger belt and horizontal.
2. Size dictated by the above.
3. Needs to hold a Pocket or WETSU-sized kit. A signal mirror (a real one).
4. Med stuff to treat maybe two GSW? No IVs.

What else?
Agreed.

I would add to the med and signal gear, a Leatherman or large folder, a Surefire light, at least one spare mag, and a cell phone/GPS.

Are we up to a Maxpedition Fatboy yet?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 22:10   #6
Razor
Quiet Professional

NDD, if you're talking a bail-out type affair due to bad guys shooting at you, how about considering something like a fanny pack or the Kifaru E&E vice a small belt pouch? Sure they're bigger, but they could more easily hold the stuff you might need in that case, such as a few extra rifle mags (assuming you're not wearing full battle rattle, but maybe a 5.11 vest), a smoke and/or frag, a GPS, a small gunshot kit, some water, a small radio, and your pocket survival kit. Not sure if a CSM Gear large fanny (or a MOLLE II waist pack) would carry the various combinations of that list, but a Kifaru E&E would, yet it only measures approx. 15" x 9" x 3" (~1000ci). If you felt extra froggy, you could add some extra mag/frag/misc pockets to the outside via PALS for differing scenarios. If you're just tooling around on the range, it'd be handy for holding med supplies, a 100oz bladder and range tools/supplies. I have one, and its really handy for that need falling between belt pouch and HAWG-sized assault pack. Ooo, or maybe you could do the Tailgunner thing, or maybe just the top hood bandolier from an EMR with a sling. Either of those could be on the sling, so you rotate it in front of you in your lap while you're in a vehicle, and you simply swing it around to your side or behind you when you get out. Check out these pics from Kifaru to give you a better idea of what I'm babbling about.

E&E
http://www.kifaru.net/images/e&eON2.jpg

EMR top hood with sling
http://www.kifaru.net/images/MGbando5.jpg
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 22:20   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

There is a fine line here, and it will vary with the individual, their tastes, and their requirements.

Basically, you have a point where you reach is the max size an individual is willing to voluntarily hump around 24/7.

That is why an aid bag or E&E bag might be in the trunk of a car instead of with the individual when he needs it.

If you want to hump a three day or an assault pack, there are plenty of options.

If all you want is a fanny pack, that is an option too.

I guess you need to make a list of everything you think you need to have, look at the carriers that would hold it, and either buy a configured carrier that you like, or purge your list till you can reconcile the two variables with something that holds your absolute necessities, but is not overly inconvenient. I suspect that might take some trial and error or wearing to determine.

IMHO, if you start getting up to the size of those bags, or adding rifle mags, you are beyond survival and into the E&E bag or assault pack load.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 22:25   #8
Razor
Quiet Professional

Ok, I got carried away and went to E&E under fire vice carrying a few survival items. How about Egg's FUGLY or HAFFAFUG? It can fit on a belt (albeit a big larger than some), has a couple compartments, and will carry most of what you mentioned, NDD.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 22:44   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

The Reaper is reading my mind. We all, especially when riding in a crowded vehicle, have a tendency to dump the bags in the back. Most of us will remember to carry weapons and at least a couple of mags. Plus we all almost always have our pistols. Its the little things when you get out to open a gate or walk away to take a leak. I thought the HSGI sniper waist pack would do it and it still might.

I'm still thinking, the input is great. Keep 'em coming.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-04-2004, 23:43   #10
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

NDD,

What is your bare minimum of stuff you are thinking for this kit?

From your posts it seems like you want:

1. A real Signal Mirror
2. Some quick clot?
3. 2 trama bandages or those Isreali things (forgot there name sorry)?
4. Do you want a tourniquet?
5. Tape? Duct tape, Medical tape, or both?
6. 550 cord?
7. Lighter?
8. Surefire E2e or bigger?
9. Signal panel?
10. Leatherman?
11. mini compase?
12. Matches?
13. Fishing line?
14. Dental Floss?
15. Pistol mag (1)?
16. Radio?
17. Spare batteries for Radio.

I don't have the experience you do by anyway, shape, or form but this to me would be the bare ass minimum of what I would want.

I think you could actually get away with ditching the radio, Surefire, and signal panel. Because I'm thinking that you would already carry that stuff on your person anyway right?

Just my civi .02 cents
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 23:52   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

The quickclot and the Israelis are huge. Probably too big for this kit. Be nice if Quickclot would make a smaller package. I will go with regular GI field dressings for this one.

I carry a button compass in my wallet

I don't think a radio. That's first line.

I think everything else is in the Pocket or Wetsu kits. That's why I like them.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-05-2004, 00:48   #12
GreenSalsa
Quiet Professional

I don't want to take away anyones business...

But I have always used a SAW pouch...lots of room...cheap...and will clip on to web gear, ruck, or camel back...You can cram a lot into those things...

Just a thought

GreenSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:09   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

That'll NEVER do Chief. Much too practical.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:10   #14
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

One of the new Kifaru fanny packs might be the ticket.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 12-05-2004, 06:29   #15
Rotor Strike

http://www.csmgear.com/New/Main/index.htm

Check out the fanny packs made by Doc Mike at CSM. I have one and it's the shit. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.