Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 04-06-2004, 20:54   #16
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

Im just looking to make my leg boots more comfortable.
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:26   #17
Valhal
Auxiliary

Thanks Surgicalcric for your info. I called a saddle shop and asked them what their experience has been. She recommended applying neets on the inside of the boot to soften up the part that actually touches your foot. Then apply saddle soap/ mink oil? on the outside so you will still be able to hold a shine.

We got surprised by a 5 mile road march this last weekend. I was wearing brand new issue boots. My feet are tore up; 5 huge blisters. A marathoner friend suggested I put mole skin on the blisters until they fall off on their own. SC do you have any advise on how to heal up from 'raw foot'.

Mark
Old 04-07-2004, 09:45   #18
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Valhal:

Take those new boots to a shoe shop and have the toe/heel caps removed. After this and treating with oil they will feel more like sneakers than boots.

On the subject of blister care to keep this thread on topic see Blister Care in the SFAS Forum.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 04-07-2004 at 10:05.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 20:31   #19
Batman100
SF Candidate

Here is another option for Neatsfoot Oil. Look for the Lexol brand...it's more expensive but does not leave a greasy residue. It's also clear in color.

http://www.lexol.com/
Batman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 20:11   #20
ktek01
Suffering from SF TDY Envy

Quote:
Originally posted by Valhal
Thanks Surgicalcric for your info. I called a saddle shop and asked them what their experience has been. She recommended applying neets on the inside of the boot to soften up the part that actually touches your foot. Then apply saddle soap/ mink oil? on the outside so you will still be able to hold a shine.
I wouldn't worry about being able to shine them, this is for field boots only. The only thing I ever did was buy a new pair of Green Jungles and wear them around the barracks, my old barracks boots would become my new field boots. Never did anything else to them. I kept two pairs of Garrison boots and two pairs of field boots at a minimum at all times. I never got caught without a decent pair of well broken in field boots. They lasted a pretty long time, only had to buy a couple pairs per year and that was mainly because of the annual PTA FTX which would destroy at least one pair in a month.
ktek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:57   #21
Valhal
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally posted by ktek01
I wouldn't worry about being able to shine them, this is for field boots only. The only thing I ever did was buy a new pair of Green Jungles and wear them around the barracks, my old barracks boots would become my new field boots. Never did anything else to them. I kept two pairs of Garrison boots and two pairs of field boots at a minimum at all times. I never got caught without a decent pair of well broken in field boots. They lasted a pretty long time, only had to buy a couple pairs per year and that was mainly because of the annual PTA FTX which would destroy at least one pair in a month.
Thanks for the advice, My plan is to get by with three for now, we will be issued desert boots shortly as well.

Mark
Old 04-16-2004, 09:27   #22
ktek01
Suffering from SF TDY Envy

With brand new boots I would usually only wear the for half the day during the first two weeks. I would also wear them while just sitting around watching TV or cleaning up at night. I slowly broke them in over about a month and never had any serious problems with my feet.
ktek01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 20:54   #23
resonant evil
Quiet Professional

so true

Quote:
Originally posted by ktek01
Of course the single most important thing to do is make sure the boots are properly fitted in the first place.
So try them on with the insoles and socks you will actually wear.

I soaked mine in sweat once, or twice.
resonant evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 14:43   #24
August-O Twenty
Asset

So Let me get this straight, you basically have two options when it comes to field boots.

A) soak them in Neats/Neets Oil and let them soften up
B) Wear them for general use until the wear in a bit.

I would guess it depends on the person on which option they choose.

I will however Find a Place KS when I get there to get the appropriate(sp) stuff renmoved out of the boot as suggested by another poster..I feel thats a good route also.

thanks for the thread
Old 07-01-2004, 16:51   #25
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

No, the Neats Foot is also a waterproofer.

If you do a search and read my thread, I said to saddle soap them and walk them dry.

We see the nicest boots on the VW truck back to Bragg from Camp Mackall, on the feet of guys who paid the cash to get them tricked out, but not the sweat to break them in properly or the heart to propel them.

The gear is less than 10% of the equation.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 17:55   #26
August-O Twenty
Asset

Sorry I neglected to re mention that bit of information.

I re-read your post and your methd seems to be the better one for a newb like myself, If I'm correct you can get saddle soap at any shoe shop right? If not I know place and I'll get it soon so I have it for later use

Last edited by August-O Twenty; 07-01-2004 at 18:03.
August-O Twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 17:11   #27
pbr549xxx
Guerrilla

I had to bring this old thread up. I have been looking around and I have seen that there is a Neatsfoot Oil and a Neets Foot Oil. Which product should I be looking for? Kiwi makes a Neatsfoot Oil, that should be pretty easy to find. Where in Fayetteville can I find the correct product?
pbr549xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 18:34   #28
vampire03
Asset

Well I got in , and I report to Campbell by the 12th of DEC., and I was wondering does any one know of a place there that can do this same process for boots.
vampire03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:56   #29
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr549xxx
I had to bring this old thread up. I have been looking around and I have seen that there is a Neatsfoot Oil and a Neets Foot Oil. Which product should I be looking for? Kiwi makes a Neatsfoot Oil, that should be pretty easy to find. Where in Fayetteville can I find the correct product?
I believe they are one in the same. Clark's Boot Repair on Yadkin Rd, in the strip mall on the right just past Fillyaw Rd, carries what you are looking for.

HTH.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:17   #30
Jeff22
Asset

I have read that extensive use of neetsfoot oil weakens the fibers of the leather.
I had never before heard of soaking boots in neetsfoot oil.

I have found that Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator (available from tandyleather.com) to be a fine leather treatment. I've used it on boots, holsters, and leather jackets. Multiple thin coats work the best.
Jeff22 is offline   Reply With Quote