Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 05-02-2012, 17:07   #1
Penn
Area Commander

Cloning a Human

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-zink-science/

If there was ever an argument for cloning a human, I think this specimen could present a logical argument for cloning, scientifically based, to test such things the blank slate theory. Given that its biology is 5.300 hundred years old, we would assume in cloning the developed brain mass after cloning would reflect that time period. I wonder if the clones cognitive ability/capacity would be limited, by that biology, or could the clone, regardless of genetic material, adapt.

It would be truly interesting if we could recover enough of a sample to clone this human.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-zink-science/

Last edited by Penn; 05-02-2012 at 17:16.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 17:35   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

The Question would be.......

........................when does life begin?

To clone something is not that hard for scientists

But if you clone human cells are you going to grow the cells to a fixed point in a lab - or in a live female in hopes of getting a real person?

Once the fetus becomes viable would it not be a person with their own rights?

There is talk in some circles of cloning yourself for spare parts - just at some point in the process you suck out the brain.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:01   #3
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
just at some point in the process you suck out the brain.
Isn't that what they do at Marine boot camp?

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:50   #4
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Given that its biology is 5.300 hundred years old, we would assume in cloning the developed brain mass after cloning would reflect that time period. I wonder if the clones cognitive ability/capacity would be limited, by that biology, or could the clone, regardless of genetic material, adapt.
Maybe he with his "limited" capacity he could explain how the Great Pyramid at Giza was built.
He would be closer in time to the builders than we are.

http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistor...stingfacts.htm

I don't buy the assumption that people in the past were less intelligent.
They just didn't have the benefit of accumulated knowledge we have.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:13   #5
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post

Actually I think they could have been MORE intelligent.

They didn't have powerpoint.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:18   #6
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Maybe he with his "limited" capacity he could explain how the Great Pyramid at Giza was built.
He would be closer in time to the builders than we are.

http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistor...stingfacts.htm

I agree. I can't imagine going back in time 500 years and trying to explain and manufacture a lot of the stuff we take for granted, i.e. penicillin, a firearm, a bicycle, a computer.

Maybe I watched "Army of Darkness" one too many times.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:27   #7
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
I agree. I can't imagine going back in time 500 years and trying to explain and manufacture a lot of the stuff we take for granted, i.e. penicillin, a firearm, a bicycle, a computer.

Maybe I watched "Army of Darkness" one too many times.
So maybe I didn't say ALL of the words....
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:30   #8
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

If evolution is a reality, he might be MORE intelligent. After all, we've removed so many of the hazards from the environment and made it so tame that unprecedented numbers of intellectual defectives are surviving to breed; thereby diluting the gene pool, and dumbing down the entire species.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:02   #9
PSM
Area Commander

The Industrial Revolution was brought about by men with an 8th grade edumacation (at best). And 99% of civilization by people with no formal education.

Pat

p.s.: "edumacation" got through the spell check.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 05-02-2012 at 21:51.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:05   #10
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
(I believe they still don't really know how they constructed the pyramids in Egypt for example).
More is being learned about the precision of construction all the time.
Couldn't be duplicated today even with our modern equipment.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:48   #11
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
If evolution is a reality, he might be MORE intelligent. After all, we've removed so many of the hazards from the environment and made it so tame that unprecedented numbers of intellectual defectives are surviving to breed; thereby diluting the gene pool, and dumbing down the entire species.

Broadsword
Regarding intelligence, people of ancient times did some things that to this day we don't know how they did in terms of constructing things (I believe they still don't really know how they constructed the pyramids in Egypt for example). But I'm not sure about whether humans then were more intelligent then humans today. Academic intelligence was not needed much back then. But how much did life back then require other forms of intelligence, like with regards to planning and organizing to hunt and farm and survive...? And does the breeding of stupid people yield more stupid people? That is an extremely controversial issue because it gets into racial issues (are the Jewish people genetically superior to most other populations as they produce so many smart people, and thus have smart people breeding with other smart people, while are blacks, as a population, lower in intelligence then whites because so many blacks are mired in poverty, which results likely in a lot of people of lesser intelligence breeding with other people lacking intelligence, etc...).
Peregrino, (tongue in cheek?) I would think your comment is most likely more correct biologically. The transfer of gene that remain in the pool due to pharmacology interventions prolonging the lifespan, with out my Diovan, I'm dead.
That said, I think its an entirely different matter with regard to intelligence.

Broadsword, you are correct, many would consider your statement racist. Intelligence is not related to poverty, cognitive ability/IQ varies, but what creates poverty is economic, and that dynamic directly relates to access to education; which we all know is the great divider in social structure/class. People tend to marry within their culture group, and region.

But, I do think there is a conditioning process, whereby repetitive action disconnects certain pathways in the brain. People in NJ are known as aggressive drivers, they tailgate at 80mph on the NJ/TRPK all day long, and merge effortlessly; this may be the result of all the tunnels, bridges, and on/off ramps that have made them the envy of the nation amateur NASCAR drivers, while drivers in PA never merge, drive ridiculously slow, and disturbingly blindly it seems, in one lane. Never allowing for a smooth flow. I think they are brain dead, but they still have the capacity to learn; and can, its a conditional process.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 15:57   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
Intelligence comes in different forms. You might be a tribesman for example who cannot read or write, but who is very intelligent in terms of things like planning, strategy, tactics, etc...for things ranging from hunting to warfare. On the other hand, you could be great at mathematics and computer progrmaming, but terrible at the type of intelligence the tribesman has. So humans could have lacked in academic intelligence but still been smart in other ways in old times.
Too many people are confusing knowledge and experience with intelligence.

People are not born (or cloned) with an understanding of tools, construction, math, strategy, etc.

Cloned humans would be born with a blank slate, just like the rest of us. Our knowledge and experience make us what we are.

Evolution is rarely fast, in the big scheme of things. Odds are, the 5,000 year old clone would be whatever you taught and trained him to be, whether it was a hunter, a fry cook, a rocket scientist, or a soldier.

Physiologically, I doubt that you could tell the difference over 5,000 years. If the clone ate our diet, had our medical and dental care, etc., they would be regular people, just like us.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote