Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 12-13-2011, 08:59   #16
Foggy Bottom
Asset

My Special Forces expertise consists of limited interaction with SF soldiers, what I've read on this board, and watching John Wayne in "The Greet Berets" twice. That is to say I'm unqualified to address that aspect of your question.

I was, however, an instructor at ROTC for 2 years and I was a cadet for 2 years. I'll say first off, it amazed me how rare it is for anyone to pay back any money to ROTC even for full ride scholarships. Indeed, at this moment I can't think of any cadet I know of that ever had to pay; not while I was in ROTC and not while I taught at ROTC.

Second, you've expressed your intent to become a Special Forces soldier and stated a dissatisfaction with ROTC. The fact you've weighed your dissatisfaction with ROTC *in addition* to your desire to be SF is a familiar and disconcerting decision-making process that I've heard from many cadets, soldiers, and people in general who aren't sure what they really want. I'd encourage you to spend some time thinking about that.

Edit to add: saw sticky reminder after posting. Will refrain from answering questions in the Special Forces Questions section of the forum from now on.

Last edited by Foggy Bottom; 12-13-2011 at 09:07.
Foggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 15:41   #17
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

One thing I would add to what has been said is the route I went which may or may not still be available. I finished college with 128 semester hours and a degree and a commission in only three years by taking heavy course loads and going to summer school and taking max loads there. ROTC cadre allowed me to double up my sophomore and junior year during one school year. So my misery was great but compressed in time!

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 16:07   #18
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Go Navy.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 17:28   #19
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=22758

Seems we go through this every couple months guys.

Right up to the last three of four posters it was ONLY SF guys answering...
Oops. My bad Crip. I failed to notice the thread location as I just grabbed out of the "New Posts" link. My SOP for a topic like this in the SF only forum is to PM the poster if I feel I have something legitimately relevant to contribute. Hopefully my resulting post wasn't that out of line in this case.

Also, hope you are well!
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote