Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 01-20-2012, 13:17   #61
MAB32

Streck-Fu,
I also have read this article but forgot who wrote it. Thanks for clearing up the name of the person who did write these comments. I do believe however that the comment on the Swedish K/w suppressor might be true. I have picture(s) of it somewhere. I'll dig out some photos and try and take pictures of the photos and attempt to post then here.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00   #62
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

MAB32,

I searched and did not see this posted but imagine you are familiar with this site. I stumbled across it when looking for expanding information to augment my reading of Secret Commandos.

http://www.macvsog.cc/

It was the photo gallery that I first looked through.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 01-25-2012 at 11:05.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 23:31   #63
MAB32

Dave,

Looking back thru one of my books entitled "Jane's Infantry Weapons, 1975". There is a picture of one of those silenced versions. The caption reads the following:

"The Model 45 fitted with a silencer designed for the CIA. Although not very effective it has been used by American Special Forces in Vietnam."

I can photograph the picture in the book and place it here if you or others want verification.

-Mr. Plaster was correct. I can take a picture of the picture in the book if you want complete verification? I can get you some info on Mr. Batman if you can give me another day at the most.

-Although the lower reciever is made out of aluminum, the internals and the selector switch are made out of steel. With the weather and usage in SEA it just might be possible to have that piece rusting. Anybody know the answer to this question?

Give me until tomorrow to get some info out to you on Mr. Batman. Others here may know more and get it out to you sooner.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14   #64
Sarski

I just started reading this thread...

I almost started crying 1/3 thru post #1...

No, I have not listened to the CD yet. Will shortly.

I'm on AM's #17 (out of total 63 posts) now.

Wish to read all posts in thread before listening to CD.

All I can say at this point is good men have already lost their lives at this point, and the situation was dire to say the least.

Many pages and posts to go before I get to listen to CD.

Last edited by Sarski; 01-26-2012 at 01:16.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:57   #65
Sarski

I couldn't discern who charlie echo was.

EDIT: tango echo, not charlie echo. Also heard a Yellow Lead c/s toward the end, obviously a flight lead.

I only listened 1 time so far but have a pretty good ear for this as I have sat communication and operations involving aircraft, hence my signature. I plan on listening many more times.

Someone posted and mentioned earlier listen to how calm the voices are. I completely agree and this must have been great comfort and reassurance for all involved in these prairie fires.

There is a sense of immediacy and a high sense of professionalism involved. But no yelling no panicing no one trying to step on any one else, or micro manage the situation.

Sad for the loss of life, glad for those that returned. Thank you for sharing part of your life with us through the copy of this replay.

Last edited by Sarski; 01-27-2012 at 13:27.
Old 01-27-2012, 13:41   #66
Sarski

Adding topographical map Dak To:

http://www.rjsmith.com/dak-to-1-and-2-nf.html

Ben Het:

http://www.rjsmith.com/ben-het-camp-nf.html

http://www.rjsmith.com/173rd-border-battles-1.html
Old 01-27-2012, 17:02   #67
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Re: Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
Dave,

Looking back thru one of my books entitled "Jane's Infantry Weapons, 1975". There is a picture of one of those silenced versions. The caption reads the following:

"The Model 45 fitted with a silencer designed for the CIA. Although not very effective it has been used by American Special Forces in Vietnam."

I can photograph the picture in the book and place it here if you or others want verification.

-Mr. Plaster was correct. I can take a picture of the picture in the book if you want complete verification? I can get you some info on Mr. Batman if you can give me another day at the most.

-Although the lower reciever is made out of aluminum, the internals and the selector switch are made out of steel. With the weather and usage in SEA it just might be possible to have that piece rusting. Anybody know the answer to this question?

Give me until tomorrow to get some info out to you on Mr. Batman. Others here may know more and get it out to you sooner.
You want info on him- Batman? He is the real deal. And I never heard old blue sung from June 68-late April 69 either. I was at Omega, and Omega was trained in cross border OPS by FOB2 in 67 running out of the Dak To site.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 19:27   #68
MAB32

People like AM and others who served in SOG that are members here should know more info on Mr. Batman. I already knew that he is the real deal a long time ago. I just do not have anything on him regarding his Recon Team(s)and his career that's all. Maybe you can tell us both on whose R/T Batman was on at that time?

I also have the maps of certain areas of Laos, Cambodia, S. Vietnam, and North Vietnam. They are dated back in 1970 or earlier. Mine are of "Dollar Lake", The "Bra", Tailhook, The "Golfcourse", some spots were F-4's were shotdown in laos or they were hit in NV and crashed in northern Laos. I'll have to look up in my maps to see what more areas they cover. These maps are either in 1-25000 or 1-50000 scale. I'll get them out of my limited amount of MACVSOG gear and see exactly what else I do have.
Old 01-27-2012, 21:24   #69
alright4u
Quiet Professional

ASK ?

Write the MACVSOG website. Robert will help if your reasons are straight up.
Old 01-27-2012, 23:28   #70
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
You want info on him- Batman? He is the real deal. And I never heard old blue sung from June 68-late April 69 either. I was at Omega, and Omega was trained in cross border OPS by FOB2 in 67 running out of the Dak To site.
I ran on RTNY in the '70-'71 time frame and, as I recall, Olde-Blue was sung mostly in the "Covey Club" @ CCC. It would ocassionally "spill-over" into the NCO Club area, but was more of a Covey thing!!

You have to remember, that the "Covey-Riders" heard and were involved in ALL of the BAD-ASSED SHIT that went down, and that the losses that they saw were much more "Personal" to them than those of us @ either the Fwd Launch Site (Dak To) or CCC, who heard it over the air!! They were, as was often referred to by us when you talked about a radio handset, "The Umbical Connection to GOD"!!

Take Care Brothers!!
Martin
Old 01-28-2012, 16:06   #71
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Re: Sherman Batman SOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB32 View Post
People like AM and others who served in SOG that are members here should know more info on Mr. Batman. I already knew that he is the real deal a long time ago. I just do not have anything on him regarding his Recon Team(s)and his career that's all. Maybe you can tell us both on whose R/T Batman was on at that time?

I also have the maps of certain areas of Laos, Cambodia, S. Vietnam, and North Vietnam. They are dated back in 1970 or earlier. Mine are of "Dollar Lake", The "Bra", Tailhook, The "Golfcourse", some spots were F-4's were shotdown in laos or they were hit in NV and crashed in northern Laos. I'll have to look up in my maps to see what more areas they cover. These maps are either in 1-25000 or 1-50000 scale. I'll get them out of my limited amount of MACVSOG gear and see exactly what else I do have.
"People like AM and others who served in SOG that are members here should know more info on Mr. Batman. I already knew that he is the real deal a long time ago. I just do not have anything on him regarding his Recon Team(s)and his career that's all. Maybe you can tell us both on whose R/T Batman was on at that time? "

I recommended MACVSOG.ORG and Robert to answer your question. I will ask him for you. I am sure we can find that INFO.
Old 01-29-2012, 20:23   #72
MAB32

Thanks Alright4u

Thanks 4u for setting that up. Nice of you to do that! Did you get my PM last night?.
Old 01-30-2012, 18:56   #73
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Yes.

I replied but your inbox is full. It said you needed to free space to receive a PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 19:17   #74
MAB32

I thought I cleared it all off yesterday. It shows a lot of room now Sir.
Old 08-29-2012, 19:33   #75
MAB32

"Prairie Fire" x2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a recording of two Recon Teams (RT's) who are in dire straits. Both RT's are loosing a battle wherby death is immenient. Those RT's are: RT Colorado with Pat Mitchel being the 1-0, Lyn St. Laurent as the 1-1, and David "Lurch" Mixter as the 1-3. RT Colorado is an eight man team including the five Indigenous troops. The other was RT Hawaii with Les Dover as the 1-0, Regis Gmitter the 1-1, and John Justice the 1-2 (I believe this to be the case with this recon team as far as who was what on the team through natural progression of skills learned in combat.) May not be accurate though, reader and listener take note. Also, it is unknown to me how many Indigenous Troops made up RT Hawaii at that time.

RT Colorado is the team that is running for its life. RT Hawaii is holding their own. Both RT's have called out a "Prairie Fire" in Laos near the Ho Chi Minh Trail and are approximately 10 miles apart as the crow flies. Colorado has just been hit by a North Vietnamese platoon of 40 men who desire no more than to wipe this team completely off the face of the Earth.

During this Prairie Fire, David Mixter is killed when he saves Mitchel's life by shoving him to one side and exchanging fire with an NVA armed with an RPG. Mixter and the NVA exchange fire immediately. The NVA fires his RPG as Mixter fires his weapon. The RPG hits Mixter in the knee area and kills him instantly as the NVA drops dead by Mixter's return Fire.

What exactly does a "Prairie Fire mean? It means at least three things, they are: 1) You are in contact with a much superior force than yours. 2) Either completely surrounded or will be. 3) Death is imminent.

The other two "emergencies" were the following: 1) Tactical - meaning you are in engaged with the enemy, but you are holding your own for now. This could be upgraded at any time to a "Prairie Fire". Especially if you are surrounded and have allot of wounded. 2) Team - Somebody is sick or injured.

All pilots that flew gunships, helicopters, attack and fighter aircraft were given a "briefing" before flying in country. That briefing entailed what to do if a FAC has called out a "Prairie Fire" over the radio. By the rules in Vietnam everyone listening was to stop what they were doing and come to the aid of the FAC/Recon Team(s).

John "Plasticman" Plaster is the "Covey Rider or Backseater" on the afternoon shift with Captain Mike Cryer as the pilot of their OV-10 Bronco. They had just lifted off from Pleiku after eating lunch there and are heading out towards Laos. Ken "Shoebox" Carpenter is flying as the CR onboard the military version of the Cessna 210 Skymaster over Laos at this time. As Plaster and Cryer left for Laos they noticed how clear the sky was considering that most of January had been very wet. As they passed Ben Het below, Cryer switched their radio frequency over to "Shoebox" Carpenter's frequency and what you hear for the next 35 minutes is two RT's fighting to stay alive.

One other item of importance. The reason why you hear so many people talking at once is because allot of the helicopters and FACs had what is known as a "hot mic". What this means is that the microphone is always on and talking on it is much like talking on a telephone. Everybody can talk and hear responses immediately. The only exception to this is the Recon Team(s). They relied upon the PRC-25 and much later in the war the PRC-77 for commo and this meant that the RT could constantly moniter a channel (receive) and transmit by pushing the button in on the handset.

Also, the first "Prairie Fire" you here is from RT Hawaii's 1-0 Regis Gmitter and it is during their rescue mission. When you here Platster call on the radio: "I have your smoke, where do want the firepower brought in?" you will hear Pat Mitchel's voice stating that "Their is only two of us left and Charlie is dead on our ass!". Mixter was killed a few minutes before this and the Indigenous troops are nowhere to be seen. Also, it is during this time that Mitchel is carrying Lyn St Laurent as he is seriously wounded himself. They are fighting for for their lives. Pay special attention to the background noise when Plaster is talking. You can hear the twin engines screaming and an occasional burst of the four mounted M-60's. The continuos M-60 firing at the end is from the rescue Hueys doorgunners. One is firing one long string of 7.62 ammunition through his M-60 without stopping. It is still a very hot area.

Here is the following code names/words that are used in this recording that may be of use to the listener. Hopefully this will make the following conversations easier to understand and follow. Here are some of these words:

1) Plasticman John Plaster's personal call sign while on a RT
2) White Lead Huey in charge of flying the rescue mission
3) Delta Papa Three John Plaster's call sign while flying as Covey Rider in Bronco
4) Tango Papa Pat Mitchels call sign as 1-0
5) Panthers AH-1G Cobras. Also known as "Cobra"
6) Kingbees H-34 Helicopters usually flown by Vietnamese pilots
7) Bravo Hotel Ben Het SF camp
8) Delta Tango FOB at Dak To
9) Foxtrot Mike FM radio frequency
10) Victor VHF radio frequency
11) Uniform UHF radio frequency
12) Straw Hat/Type Code name for American personel on a RT
13) Kilo November Known North. Position is "Kilo November"
14) Lurch David Mixter's personel call sign
15) Winchester Air assets that are out of ordnance

Note: If any codenames/words are left out, they are unintentional. I ask that you either PM me or send a response to this thread with any question you may have. I will try and find out the answer and if I cannot, hopefully one of the SOG members here can respond to it. Any error(s) that may have occurred above are mine and only mine. I applogize a head of time for this.

Note: From my point of view, one should listen to this if possible, in a dark and quiet room with no distractions. This way you can hear and understand most of the recording.

This recording is dedicted to the greatest soldiers in the world, the men who wear the Green Beret.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...in_trouble.mp3

NOTE: For further information on this Prairie Fire x2, one should get "Secret Commandos, Behind Enemy Lines With The Elite Warriors Of SOG", By John L. Plaster

JUST A BUMP for all of you whi haven't heard this yet...
"If at anytime I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it."
Jeremiah 18:25