Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 03-25-2008, 07:31   #106
alright4u
Quiet Professional

RE: SOG

Volunteered for C&C ( FOB 2) June12, 68. Ended up at BMTE. Told a new C&C was being started & would be in on ground floor. FOB 2 took a Captain with far more experience then I had. I never blamed them. I needed to learn. I do not recall any recon course from mid 68-mid 69. Had an HF company with great NCO's, then went to launch site, then to 3 shop. I do not think anyone can say SOG was better then all. Had friends in II Corps Mike Force, who were every bit as good or better then I was. Do not know any war stories I want to share.

Like any job in SF, it was teamwork that got men in and out. From the S-2 briefing on target area, to the VR, to men on the launch sites, from the SF launch site NCOIC who bootlegged Freqs, to the pilots and crew and man riding with FAC, it took a team effort. I do recall we had a 10 school running local OPS when I got back in mid April 69. Or so I was told. A few went to MACV RECONDO school, but; most was OJT with senior NCO's having the real experience who trained all.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:36   #107
gagners
Asshat 6

Gents-

I mentioned in another thread a few months back that I was fortunate to meet more than a few SOG warriors at a veteran's meet-up while underway on the Carnival Valor.

After listening to some of the stories and reading Plaster's books, I cannot convey what a priveldge it is to have the opportunity to say "thank you".

You inspired the generation of warriors that continues to inspire mine. Again, thank you.
Old 04-30-2008, 14:10   #108
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Tm Cutlass

See! There really was a Tm Cutlass as well as Saber. We were so secret we had to kill anyone who knew what we were up tp. Sam Sanford who was the project commander found this picture and sent it to me. I designed the patch which was an adaption of the SOG crest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOGSTRIKER (2).JPG (17.7 KB, 314 views)

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 23:19   #109
rwt_bkk
Quiet Professional

Belated reply to all that asked. Yes still working on the book. In the edit mode, actually wrote it already. Now trying to make it sound like I at least graduated HS...

I am doing mine as a novel for several reasons. One of the main ones is that I wanted to include the scope of mission scenarios besides my own. I have included my missions in there and added a few more mainly based on conversations with other recon guys in the club.

I also am thinking about have the character stay in SF a lot longer than I did and have a series that will take him into a more modern SF with an emphasis on special operations.

At least that is my "thinking" time is another factor that always seems to get in the way when translating into action.

"Fortune Favors the Bold!"
rwt_bkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 23:48   #110
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

Good stuff here, y'all!!

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:12   #111
Fletcher's son
FTFSI

Ron fletcher

My name is mathew fletcher, son of the late ronald c. fletcher. dad was at ccn in '71 i know because of his acm with v device award letter. most of the paperwork states only "earned while in enemy occupied and denied territory"
Dad was 1-1, 1-2 of rt adder i believe. i found an rt adder patch along with his lucky boonie hat. and he once told me he was 1-1, 1-2 of his rt . at his funeral the acting commander of the fifth group and 3 other fine soldiers paid their last respects and saluted him and gave him his hat for his last mission. they gave me their unit coin and i sent them bacak to ft campbell with a thank you card and some travel money. dad gave them by way of me a cigar and three cases of beer. they included me in their final toast to a fellow warrior. I felt incredibly privileged. I have done alot of research in a short amount of time. and you guys....your'e the men that other guys want to be like. truly some bad mother fxxxxx. Does anyone remember my father. i know only two names he spoke regularly. don "sluggo" murphy and fred "lightning" wunderlich. iv'e spoken with don. emailed fred in thailand. no response. mathewfletcher@yahoo.com
Courage, honor and Bravery are as everyday to you gentlemen as clocking in for work. i feel as though im in the presence of gods when i talk to or stand next to you gentlemen.

Last edited by Fletcher's son; 06-21-2008 at 01:18.
Fletcher's son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 22:15   #112
rwt_bkk
Quiet Professional

Matthew, thank you for your kind words, always remember that your father was one of us.

Honor and Steel
Bru

"Fortune Favors the Bold!"
rwt_bkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:17   #113
Fletcher's son
FTFSI

How could I forget. He was the greatest man I ever knew. I tell people where and when he served and they react like its no big thing. after finishing stolen valor and secret commandos by john plaster it all takes on a new meaning for me. I never knew that as a culture we are so ignorant of what our soldiers give to be in service to our country. I spoke with Jim Hetrick, president SOA. He told me a man by the name of Hardy was writing a series of books on every team in ccn. He asked if i minded if he gave him my number for some photos for the book on rt adder. Pops may be immortalized in print. Dad liked a book titled "break contact, continue mission". As i said, I've read one of Plaster's books and have another on order. Any other reading suggestions?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:46   #114
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher's son View Post
Any other reading suggestions?
Running Recon by Frank Greco; SOG: Team History and Insignia of a Clandestine Army by Jason Hardy and Michael Tucker--covers RTs Montana, Asp, Hawaii, Indigo, Idaho, Colorado, and Rattler.

Gutes lesen!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 13:42   #115
Fletcher's son
FTFSI

Thank you very much. I will be knee deep in pages for a few weeks now. Reading Stolen Valor currently. It's somewhat amazing to me that when you stray from the drivel and literary diarrhea that some college history classes declare required reading, their confusingly angled "history", becomes a touch clearer. I never knew that, even having a special forces soldier for a dad, I was so ignorant.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:31   #116
shortrnd
Asset

i just spent the last hour or so reading this section. amazing stuff. thanks to all of you.
shortrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:39   #117
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

http://www.macvsog.cc/1971.htm#1971h.../1971.htm#1971

BMT
Old 08-06-2008, 23:00   #118
122418b
Quiet Professional

You gentlemen have my greatest respect.
122418b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:19   #119
akunochi
Asset

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I was privileged to have two former MACV-SOG operators as instructors in the 18C course. These two gentlemen that I'm sure some of you know are just beyond impressive with their knowledge, but also good for a laugh. Just wanted to say thanks.
akunochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:34   #120
glebo
Quiet Professional

Speakin' of SOG

Do any of you old timers remember my father in law, James Farley?? He's got a MAC-V SOG plaque with his name on it in his collection. He retired in 70-71. He was over there in the very early years also. He talks mostly about Than-Phu (sp?) and a couple of other places I can't remember/pronounce. I think most of his time was down south around the delta.

thanks.