Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-07-2020, 10:50   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

Farming...

I saw hunting and fishing sections but not farming...
Throughout the years, I've read sporadic thread on planting your own crops as part of preparedness but they did not interest me until now

To avoid potential contact with COVID outside and not depend on vendors for my greens, I have been growing my own vegetables: Kale, lettuce, arugula, mustard (crops in less than a month! my type of farming lol)
It's been a priceless blessing to eat straight from your garden especially when I recall I used to pay $10 for kale salad at panera bread!

Spinach, beans, tomatoes, pumpkin etc are coming next. I used store-bought seeds but I have been browsing YT instruction on various vegetables you can buy and regrow. Daisy Creek Farms have solid tutorials. Potatoes seem too easy to be true but those will easily provide caloric needs when the rice and flour are gone from the market (Move over Matt the Martian )

Anyone having much success in the same pursuit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gar.jpg (113.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg kalletaru.jpg (31.8 KB, 37 views)

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 04-07-2020 at 10:56.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:33   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

Got the herb section of the garden in. Only 5 tomato plants this year but three have blooms already. Put them in about 3 weeks ago - couldn't wait.

Put in some broccoli just to see how that goes.

And of course cucumbers and jalapenos.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:35   #3
rsdengler
Area Commander

Good job frostfire, I used to have a garden every year when I lived in my old house because I was on a few acres. Now I'm in a town home but I am going to grow veggies on my back deck in boxes. I have always done lettuce in a garden box, so I will now add tomatoes, radishes, and sweet peppers. Oh, and strawberries and herbs. Nice to be able to go out your back door and grab dinner. Good luck in your bounty....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 13:21   #4
Airbornelawyer

I hate chickens. I hated crawling through the chickenshit-infested coop to gather the chickenshit-covered eggs and I hated washing the chickenshit off the eggs. I hated the roosters. I hated that even though they could not fly, the chickens learned they could make a wing-assisted jump high enough to get over the fence, so I had to chase chickens around the farm.

Other than that, farming's great.

Oh, there was also that time I crushed my finger in a pea sheller when I was about 7. And the time I got left behind on the combine and had to walk miles back to the farmhouse when I was about 8. My uncle got his finger bitten off by a pig, so I should count myself lucky.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 17:01   #5
7624U
Quiet Professional

I have all my plants started just have to transfer them into the garden

garden is 50ft x 20ft has 12 rows plenty for just the wife and I

been planting fruit trees, grapes, nut's bearing bushes, and berries.

This book was on the forum once and I downloaded it someplace but can't find it again has good farming info in it.

https://archive.org/details/JohnSeym...e/n21/mode/2up

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:11   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
I hate chickens. I hated crawling through the chickenshit-infested coop to gather the chickenshit-covered eggs and I hated washing the chickenshit off the eggs. I hated the roosters. I hated that even though they could not fly, the chickens learned they could make a wing-assisted jump high enough to get over the fence, so I had to chase chickens around the farm.

Other than that, farming's great.

Oh, there was also that time I crushed my finger in a pea sheller when I was about 7. And the time I got left behind on the combine and had to walk miles back to the farmhouse when I was about 8. My uncle got his finger bitten off by a pig, so I should count myself lucky.
Now you’re telling me!

I’m working on getting some chickens for eggs! Free range n all. I figure if the eggs fail I ll cook the meat, used the bones for broth, n bury the rest to fertilise the soil. I’ve never tried the fish head at the base of your plants before but saw a positive review with tomatoes

INDNJC
Old 04-08-2020, 07:34   #7
cbtengr
Area Commander

Had to chuckle when I looked at the title of your post. Having grown up on a large farm in Iowa in the 60's and 70's I cannot recall my father ever having a Kale salad anywhere. I laud your efforts to provide sustenance for yourself but tend to think perhaps that you are gardening more than you are farming. BTW I have attached a pic of a farmer in action. All kidding aside though good for you frostfire!

Farming.jpg
Old 04-08-2020, 08:12   #8
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Now you’re telling me!

I’m working on getting some chickens for eggs! Free range n all. I figure if the eggs fail I ll cook the meat, used the bones for broth, n bury the rest to fertilise the soil. I’ve never tried the fish head at the base of your plants before but saw a positive review with tomatoes
The good news is that you can still follow through with the second phase of your plain even if the eggs don't fail if you have a similar aversion to the farming of eggs as Airbornelawyer.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:24   #9
PSM
Area Commander

My wife gardens non-stop. And she feeds all of her friends.

The first pic, on the left, has flowers at the bottom, two herb gardens, tomatoes (protected from the wind), asparagus, and artichokes. On the right, is another tomato plant and peppers. Next to the chairs is another tomato plant (a heat tolerant variety test), more peppers, and squash.

In the second is what's left of the winter crop, collards (now MIA), spinach, and, uh, kale (pttttuuuuie!).

(Not sure why the first pic tipped over, it's fine on my computer.)

BTW, I see a "farm" as producing more than provides just subsistence. The excess can then be shared, bartered with, or sold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_x800.jpg (119.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 3_1_800x.jpg (369.6 KB, 28 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 04-10-2020 at 13:07. Reason: changed pix
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:26   #10
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
...I cannot recall my father ever having a Kale salad anywhere.
Kale is a thing? Is it a salad named after Heironymous Kale? Like the Lee J. Cobb salad?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 14:28   #11
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
, and, uh, kale (pttttuuuuie!).
Hey now, Socrates said “The secret of happiness is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less"

What does this have to do with kale you might ask?

Well, quarantine is one hell of a drug

INDNJC
Old 04-10-2020, 18:27   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
My wife gardens non-stop. And she feeds all of her friends.
I like your landscaping "approach" - the SW has a place in my heart. Tried to get the wife on board with taking that approach up here (and no mowing). "Besides honey it's covered in white 5 months out of the year anyway." No dice. I know it's not really an "approach" just the way the surface of Mars is down there; like it anyway. And in the summer you can hit a 5-iron off the tee and get a LOT of roll.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 04-10-2020, 18:40   #13
PSM
Area Commander

She's always done that. In Hermosa Beach we had only 40 sq ft of lawn in front of the house. She (there's no we or me in this) ripped it out and planted a garden. We called it the . . . South 40. She grew pretty much everything that is shown it the pix I posted except asparagus. Even with that little bit of 'land' she still was able to share her harvest with neighbors after canning what we'd need. She's a no-nonsense gardener, though. If it doesn't grow on her timeline or produce to her expectation, it's ripped out of the ground and replaced with something that will. I always took that as a lesson.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 18:50   #14
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
She's a no-nonsense gardener, though. If it doesn't grow on her timeline or produce to her expectation, it's ripped out of the ground and replaced with something that will. I always took that as a lesson.
Literally LMAO but you're still with us obviously you're trainable. Nice, man.

Old 06-18-2020, 23:43   #15
frostfire
Area Commander

You seasoned farmer/gardener may chuckle at this amateur, but it’s finally harvest after harvest after harvest. Even the cucumber is yielding one despite vicious bug insurgency

The tomatoes probably have few weeks left w the heat but I’ve made fresh ketchup, basil tomatoes soup, Enchilada, variety of salads, etc from it. Had a plate of omelets last night with fresh potatoes, onions, lettuce and tomatoes from the garden. So happy 😃 It sure is a morale boost despite being stuck OCONUS with all the gloom n doom news from US. Still don’t have the chickens...yet.

Now, if only I have bacon seeds....

INDNJC