Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 04-13-2018, 15:32   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
“It should reduce our risk,” Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks

Staying IN THE REAR breeds REMF's and POG's.
100% in or 100% out, No 1/2 ASS UW missions
You can not lead from the REAR..

My $00.00002

Quote:
U.S. Is Reducing Presence of Special-Operations Forces on Africa’s Front Lines

Commandos shift toward headquarters role instead of joining African troops on missions

By Michael M. Phillips
Updated April 10, 2018 5:46 p.m. ET
12 COMMENTS

NIAMEY, Niger—The U.S. is reducing the presence of American commandos on Africa’s front lines, a move U.S. officers believe will make troops less vulnerable to the type of militant attack that left four U.S. soldiers dead in this West African country last fall.

American Green Berets, Navy SEALs and Marine special operators serving as advisers to African forces will largely stay closer to the rear, working from command centers and battalion headquarters, rather than accompanying African troops on hazardous operations against militant groups.

“It should reduce our risk,” Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks, commander of U.S. special-operations troops in Africa, told The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday. “But,“ he added, ”life here is not without risk.”

Gen. Hicks said his intention is to put U.S. special-operations troops to work at a higher level, helping African commanders tackle logistics, intelligence, artillery support, medevac and other aspects of large-scale operations against Boko Haram, al-Shabaab and other local Islamic State and al Qaeda affiliates.

“We’re looking to advise as far up the chain [of command] as our assistance is desired and feasible,” Gen. Hicks said. “It’s not just about reducing risk—it’s about increasing our return on investment.”

link to article

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 19:05   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

It is a shit hole. As is most of the places we are/have been in. We do need to work on educating the higher level staffs, but not going out to the point will have its drawbacks.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 19:30   #3
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
“It should reduce my risk,” Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks, commander of U.S. special-operations troops in Africa, told The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday. “But,“ he added, ”life in Germany is not without risk.”

Gen. Hicks said his intention is to put U.S. special-operations troops to work at a higher level, [As part of SOCAF's forward staff] helping African commanders tackle logistics, intelligence, artillery support, medevac and other aspects of large-scale operations against Boko Haram, al-Shabaab and other local Islamic State and al Qaeda affiliates.

“We’re looking to advise as far down my chain of command as possible. As our assistance is desired and feasible,” Gen. Hicks said. “It’s not just about being risk adverse—it’s about increasing our return on investment.”
There I took the liberty of changing what the commander was meaning to say.

"Me"

Last edited by 7624U; 04-13-2018 at 19:33.
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 19:34   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks

Have you seen this "warriors" bio? LOLOLOLOL He's the next best thing to having a "cook" run Special Operations in Africa.

And we started "Special Operations" to integrate air and ground operations, it's good to see that the cargo pilots are now taking over ground operations. That's got to be a step in the right direction.

I'll be fishing.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:19   #5
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Maj. Gen. Mark Hicks

Have you seen this "warriors" bio? LOLOLOLOL He's the next best thing to having a "cook" run Special Operations in Africa.

And we started "Special Operations" to integrate air and ground operations, it's good to see that the cargo pilots are now taking over ground operations. That's got to be a step in the right direction.

I'll be fishing.
Command Pilot has to count for something right TS

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27   #6
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
It is a shit hole. As is most of the places we are/have been in. We do need to work on educating the higher level staffs, but not going out to the point will have its drawbacks.
The advisors will no longer share the risk of the mission during advising boy that is building respect and losing of real world ground truth and S/A.....this sounds like the PI model
Old 04-14-2018, 13:27   #7
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

That creeping term "Risk Adverse" rears its head again and takes away courage from the commanders; if there was courage to be had.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 15:37   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
That creeping term "Risk Adverse" rears its head again and takes away courage from the commanders; if there was courage to be had.
Actually makes sense........ use an "AF" cargo pilot to make those decisions. (lolz)

I'm waiting for the Special Operations "cooks" to chime in and make some tactical/strategic decisions too.
Old 04-16-2018, 16:50   #9
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Actually makes sense........ use an "AF" cargo pilot to make those decisions. (lolz)

I'm waiting for the Special Operations "cooks" to chime in and make some tactical/strategic decisions too.
You know his J3?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote