Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 04-28-2016, 13:58   #1
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

The new Spartan EK daggers...

The new Spartan EK dagger, pictured with my personal M92. Bosom buddies.

This knife is just completely awesome, guys.

I've loved the EK daggers ever since I was a young boy, but never was willing to drop the coin on one. Other knife purchases always seemed to take precedence. That changed when I was visiting Mark, Curtis, and the crew at the end of March. I had no idea that they were working on these daggers until I walked into the shop and saw all of them lined up in the sharpening tray. I immediately picked one up and it felt like magic in the hand, so I knew then and there that I just had to have myself one. It is every inch as good as the V-14, which I also love so very much.

If you are reading this, you need one of these. For that matter, you also need a V-14. And my M92 is no slouch, either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bosom buddies.jpg (110.0 KB, 145 views)
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 15:11   #2
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

There is an awesome quality about daggers that sets them apart from pretty much all other knives. They are built for only one thing: to kill people.
Old 04-28-2016, 21:54   #3
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

No other knife has that kind if intent. When you pick one up, there's no question about it. But after staring at and working on a ton of my own over the past several months, I've had a lot of time to think about the subject. Here's a piece that I wrote on the topic from earlier this week:

Since I am in the middle of assembling a ton of them as I type this, one of my thoughts on daggers: So, obviously most people tend to look at a dagger and think "That right there is some man-killing-ass shit," or that it is a single purpose design and good for nothing other than making holes in bad guys. Granted, daggers certainly are excellent for the anti-personnel application where their design originates. But after much thought on the subject (they have been a lifelong obsession) and also staring at a whole mess of them for the last several weeks in my shop, I feel like I need to effect a shift in that paradigm.

Let us look at a double bit axe, for example. It has two independent cutting edges just as the dagger does, and so most people look at it and think that the axe has those two bits so that the user can alternate cuts from the left and the right. This is actually incorrect. A double bit axe has two bits because one of them is used expressly for clear, clean wood, while the other one is your grubbing bit. The grubbing bit gets used any time there is the potential for the the bit to make contact with things that might damage a fine cutting edge, such as dirt, rocks, the ground, etc. You would also use that grubbing bit to clear bark, as when trees grow out of the ground, they tend to pick up bits of rock, sand, and grit, which then becomes trapped in the bark. Bill Harsey has even told me tales from his time as a lumberjack where they would sink the good bit of a double bit axe into a stump, lay a cable over the grubbing bit, and then wail on it with a sledge hammer to cut the cable and effect their repairs. So I say to you that one can apply this same principle to a dagger.

I know a lot of guys who carry two (or more) knives. They'll have the knife or knives that are their go-to cutters for any utility tasks, and then they'll have a dedicated meat cutter that never cuts anything unless they are in a deadly force encounter. Every knife that you carry is more added weight. So with a dagger, less is actually more. You have two cutting edges. One cutting edge is dedicated to every day cutting tasks. The other cutting edge is never used except when you need to seek blood in defense of your life or that of your loved ones.

Because it is your one knife, every time you access it is another positive rep ingrained into your muscle memory. All you need is a way to denote your grubbing edge from your defensive edge. This can be visual or tactile.

With my personal M92 that I have been carrying, I have filed a little flat into the guard so that I can feel which edge is oriented which way. And while the knife itself is symmetrical, the sheath is taco style - a fold on one side, grommets on the other. When I re-sheath the knife, my grubbing edge is always facing the fold of the sheath. And if I happen to screw that up, I will know right away when I place the knife back in my pants, because then I will feel the guard without the flat filed into it poking me in the side. Easy peasy.

Hope you guys find this useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
There is an awesome quality about daggers that sets them apart from pretty much all other knives. They are built for only one thing: to kill people.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:06   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
And the Assault Knife is born!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:57   #5
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Well, I'm guessing you can also use a dagger to open MREs, so it is kind of like an eating utensil or something.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:09   #6
Barbarian
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS
So evil and scary....
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
So evil and scary....
Yeah, well the ATF I'm sure is already classifying various knives based on just that perception, how scary it is....

And it's exactly how the ATF classified the "assault" rifles, the scare factor.
Old 04-29-2016, 14:35   #8
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

I eat my peas with honey. I've done it all my life. It might seem kind of funny. But it keeps them on the knife.
Old 04-29-2016, 14:44   #9
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

But, but... What about the children?

Then they'll have to re-name it the BATFE and K. It's ridiculous, but I would not be the least bit surprised. Just look at all of the various state laws and regulations regarding which knives you can legally carry and which ones you can't. Some people will never understand that criminalizing inanimate objects solves nothing. If a guy has evil in his heart, there is no law that is going to stop him from doing bad things. Evil is.

Quote:
Yeah, well the ATF I'm sure is already classifying various knives based on just that perception, how scary it is....

And it's exactly how the ATF classified the "assault" rifles, the scare factor.
Old 04-29-2016, 14:45   #10
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

I opened many an MRE with my trusty Gerber MK-II. Back then, they were $49 at the PX.

Quote:
Well, I'm guessing you can also use a dagger to open MREs, so it is kind of like an eating utensil or something.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:47   #11
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Only if it's painted black and has high capacity magazines.... you know that... jeez...

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote