Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > And Some Gave All.... > TAPS

Old 06-26-2012, 22:26   #1
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

LTC Roger Obermeier (Ret)

I didn't know LTC Obermeier very well, and probably met him only twice, briefly. I'll explain why I'm posting this later.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/wis...&pid=158118582

Quote:
Roger W. Obermeier, age 75, of Wisconsin Rapids, WI and Gilbert, AZ passed away on Tuesday, June 19, 2012.

A memorial Mass will be held at a later date in Wisconsin Rapids, WI and in Gilbert, AZ.

Roger was born October 31, 1936 in Marshfield, WI to William and Genevieve (Schirpke) Obermeier. He graduated from Assumption High School in 1955 and attended Marquette University and graduated from West Point in 1961. Roger spent 23 years in the service including two tours in Vietnam and one tour on Korea. Roger retired as a lieutenant colonel.

After retiring Roger moved to Gilbert, AZ in 1984 and taught JROTC at Marcos de Niza High School in Tempe, AZ for 16 years.

Roger married Claudia Reinarz on May 25, 1968 and she survives him. Roger is also survived by twin daughters, Heidi Gburski of Seattle, WA and Lori Huber of Cave Creek, AZ; three grandchildren, Alex Huber, Eric de Winter Gburski and Michael Huber; and five siblings, Richard (Priscilla) Obermeier of Waupaca, WI, Romie (Theresa) Obermeier of Wisconsin Rapids, WI, Donna (John) Demski of Wisconsin Rapids, WI, Joan (Kenneth) Gebert of Wisconsin Rapids, WI and Mary (David) Konopaci of Plover, WI.

Roger was preceded in death by his parents.

Donations can be made to American Cancer Hope Lodge at 611 W. Doege Street, Marshfield, WI 54449 or to YLC c/o JROTC at Marcos de Niza High School at 6000 South Lakeshore Drive, Tempe, AZ 85283.

Ritchay Funeral Home in Wisconsin Rapids, WI is handling all arrangements.
My younger daughter is a brilliant artist, but never liked school very much. She had a very difficult freshman year in high school, mainly being different and running with a crowed of artists and outsiders (it was the year before Columbine). Her sophomore year she decided to take Army JROTC, even though she had to take a bus from her HS over to the HS that had it - Zero Hour. (She didn't drive, so dad made a lot of early morning drop-offs.) Soon, I saw a changed young lady. Here is what she posted on her Facebook page today:

Quote:
I just learned LTC Roger Obermeier passed away earlier this month. Colonel Obermeier was a wonderful teacher and role model who taught me to have the confidence to stand up in front of a group of (often times intimidating) people, the ability to clearly communicate with others in a concise and tactful manner, how to properly address my elders and those with seniority over me, the organizational skills to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, the discipline to learn difficult tasks without giving up, and the importance of taking pride in my work... in other words, the skills I rely on every single day of my life.

Thank you, Colonel Obermeier! You may be gone, but you will never be forgotten.

Yes, teachers can, and do, make a difference.

Last edited by ZonieDiver; 06-26-2012 at 22:28.
ZonieDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 22:38   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

She writes/sounds like a wonderful young lady.
He'd be very proud to read that comment.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 22:52   #3
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

She blossomed in JROTC with LTC Obermeier. She started late, as a sophomore, but early in her junior year, he made ther the Battalion S-3... and she rose to the occasion. I owe that man a lot, and never got to thank him.
Old 06-26-2012, 23:50   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Gone but not Forgotten.

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:08   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
RIP LTC Obermeier, Vaya con Dios..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41   #6
glebo
Quiet Professional

RIP Sir.

At least he made his mark on the world, and meant something to someone.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36   #7
DIYPatriot
Guerrilla Chief

RIP

ZD- your daughter's comments are profound. I had a teacher influence me much like that and I thought the world of her. She went on to become the Superintendent of schools and I went on through life having never forgotten her or the lessons learned in her class. A few years ago, we lost her to cancer.

She was only 66. I say that as if she was very young, but if you knew her, she truly was. She had the heart of an 8 year old and the wisdom of an 80 year old and her ability to impart both joy and life's lessons as well as a solid education to bold rebellious kids like me was second to none. I completely changed after getting to know her.

Condolences for your daughter's loss and for the family and friends that were touched by LTC Obermeier's passing.
"Don't tell me what a good man should be. Don't tell me about his character or what should be in his heart - show me. And then show me again when I'm no longer here because I'll be watching." - my grandfather
DIYPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 20:40   #8
Sarski

Rest in peace, sir. May you continue to live through those whose lives you have touched and changed.