Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 04-23-2018, 22:08   #226
Dimethylamine
Asset

I am currently doing 863 which is a variation of Jim Wendler’s 531 program. I augment that by running 1-1.5 mile with each workout and on the off days, I go on a 3 mile run. I need to do more cardio and ruck more, but I’m trying to get stronger and a bit bigger so I have a good foundation for strength, because I found this plan netted good results when I went to BCT and OCS. I ended up maxing push ups and sit ups, and remaining injury free throughout training. However, the run, I still need to focus on!

After I get to my strength/weight lifting goals, I’ll probably cycle weeks where it’s more cardio and ruck heavy and lift once a week just to maintain.

Last edited by Dimethylamine; 04-23-2018 at 22:16.
Dimethylamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 20:55   #227
MR2
Quiet Professional

Working on my biceps. Refrigerator is new so the door sticks.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 21:58   #228
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Gradually let training slip in 2017.
Was spending a ridiculous amount of time on commute and work.

Quit my unused gym membership and bought a nice barbell and some bumper plates in the spring of 2019.
Didn’t do much other than occasional cleans, presses, and barbell rows.

Bought a platform from my former gym when it closed in the fall of 2019.
Made it safer to drop the barbell.

Bought a power rack, bench, and more weights shortly before the pandemic in 2020.
Suffered from a case of fuckarounditus and didn’t really get much done in the gym until late spring.

During late spring and early summer, tried to do something resembling Mark Rippetoe’s Starting Strength program.
Wasn’t getting enough sleep and stalled, but did manage a 200lb standing strict barbell press in early August.

Transferred back to the little UPS trucks at the end of summer.
Was getting plenty of sleep, but had to get back into shape to do manual labor after sitting on my ass driving tractor trailers for 3 years.

Finally got serious and started training again 10 weeks ago.
Bought the ebook “Practical Programming” and started a novice linear progression.

Did one non-programmed workout to see where I was at, then started at week 2 of of the example program in the book called “Well-Executed Novice Linear Progression”.
I didn’t want to try to make judgements without a coach, so I decided to just follow this for as long as I could.

Basically, the program is 3 workouts per week where you squat every workout, alternate press/bench press each workout, and alternate deadlift/power clean each workout.
Weight is added every workout until you can’t anymore.

Squats/presses/bench presses are done for 3 sets of 5 reps, deadlifts for 1 set of 5 reps, and power cleans for 5 sets of 3 reps.
There are some other minor details, but that’s the basics.

Lifts at the beginning:
-Squat: 3 sets of 5 at 165lbs
-Bench press: 3 sets of 5 at 165lbs
-Press: 3 sets of 5 at 105lbs
-Deadlift: 1 set of 5 at 235lbs
-Power clean: 5 sets of 3 at 115lbs (started a couple weeks later)

Lifts after 10 weeks:
-Squat: 3 sets of 5 at 310lbs
-Bench press: 3 sets of 5 at 240lbs
-Press: 3 sets of 5 at 160lbs
-Power clean: 5 sets of 3 at 185lbs
-Deadlift: 1 set of 5 at 375lbs

Tweaked my back pretty badly in the first few weeks because I wasn’t keeping it properly in extension.
This made work and everyday life quite miserable, but I was still able to do the workouts.

Each time I go to lift, I’m convinced there’s no way I’ll be able to complete the workout, particularly the squats and deadlifts.
The designer of the program says to ignore how you feel and just do the workout until you actually fail.

So far, I haven’t skipped a workout nor failed on a single rep.
This program is absolutely miserable to do, but it works.

I’ll keep doing it until the weights quit increasing.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)

Last edited by GratefulCitizen; 03-28-2021 at 22:16.
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:46   #229
oldbandit
Asset

Recently I was fired from my job and I decided to do something for now, which I had been putting off for many years. My wife is into handicraft and DIY and has tried many times to get me involved. So we bought her a new sewing machine, a new embossing machine, and since last Monday she has been teaching me needlework. I began to spend more time with my child. And I understand that this is cool! Now you need to create permanent passive income and not worry about layoffs
oldbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 17:21   #230
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Did a pretty aggressive training schedule last spring (detailed in previous post)
The linear progression stopped after 12 weeks.

Was averaging 55 hours per week at work that spring (manual labor).
All that work, all that training, and being 49 years old found the limits of my recovery abilities.

Linear progression topped out that week at:

-3 sets of 5 squat at 330lbs
-3 sets of 5 bench press at 250lbs
-3 sets of 5 standing press at 165lbs
-5 sets of 3 power clean at 200lbs
-1 set of 5 deadlift at 385lbs

Plinked away for another month after that on an intermediate program.
Lifts topped out there at:

-1 set of 3 squat at 350lbs
-1 set of 4 bench press at 260lbs
-1 set of 5 standing press at 172.5lbs
-5 sets of 1 power clean at 222.5lbs
-5 sets of 1 power snatch at 157.5lbs
-(reset deadlift at a lower weight to facilitate recovery in other lifts)

Quit serious training after that, but occasionally plinked away in the gym.
Surprisingly, power cleaned 240lbs in August.

After the big power clean, went down to the basketball court to see if I could still jump.
At almost 50 years old, weighing 200lbs, and not having jumped in over 6 years, I had a no-step standing vertical jump of 23”.

Been plinking away again with a little more frequency now.
Just working up to 1 heavy set of 5 twice per week on squat/bench and once per week on press/deadlift.

Will keep doing this until progress stops, then might start another intermediate program.
Being strong has made my life much better in many ways.

Strength has proven to be a persistent adaptation.
It’s definitely worth it to dedicate 4-6 months to a linear progression at least once in your life.

My personal recommendation for anyone interested in health and strength would be to buy Mark Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” if you’re younger, or Jonathan M. Sullivan’s “The Barbell Prescription” if you’re older, and do the programs.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
Old 11-05-2023, 22:15   #231
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Here’s the bottom line up front for those who don’t want to read my meandering post:

-Strength is a persistent adaptation.
-Getting strong gives you a fantastic return on investment.
-Mark Rippetoe has figured out what works to get you strong.
-Recommended training books are: Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe), Practical Programming (Mark Rippetoe), and for old farts, The Barbell Prescription (Jonathan M. Sullivan).
-Recommended YouTube channels: Starting Strength (Rippetoe’s channel), Greysteel: Fitness after 50 (Sullivan’s channel).

Boring self-indulgent part of the post follows

My training in early 2021 was detailed in previous posts in this thread.
What follows is the journey since, for context concerning the persistence and benefits of strength training.

In late 2021, I was going to try to eke out some overall strength progression, but my job tended to interfere.
Was working as a package driver for UPS and Christmas season doesn’t leave much time or energy, especially at 49 years old.

Decided to just focus on bench press 3 times per week to do some ego lifting.
Made it up to 295lbs for a single on bench press by mid-December (2021) but never got the big 300lbs.

My shoulders had started complaining.
Decided discretion was the better part of valor and accepted that the big bench presses were probably a thing of the past.

In January (2022) another ego lift goal beckoned: a 1000lbs powerlifting total on my 50th birthday (one month away).
Just did an accelerated linear progression to prepare with some practice singles near the end of January.

On my 50th birthday, lifts were: 285lbs bench press, 335lbs squat, 380lbs deadlift (at a body weight around 200-205lbs and height of 6’1.5”).
Satisfying enough to continue training.

Picked a program out of Mark Rippetoe’s “Practical Programming” and started doing it in early February.
Plateaued in early April, missed a squat rep for the first time in over 20 years, and went back to occasional plinking away in the gym.

During those couple of months, high points were:
-1035lbs powerlifting total in a workout (squat 350lbs, bench press 280lbs, deadlift 405lbs).
-255lbs power clean
-960lbs strengthlifting total in a workout (205lbs standing press, 370lbs squat, 385lbs deadlift).

Since April of 2022, the plinking workouts have become less frequent and less intense.
In February of 2023 I was involuntarily promoted (permanent tractor-trailer driving), so work and commuting have all but eliminated useful training, as well as most physical activity.

The benefits of getting stronger:
-Working as a package driver was much easier.
-Been injury free when working or recreating.
-Free of any chronic pain in muscles or joints (though my wrists and shoulders can get irritated from too much bench pressing or power cleaning).
-Increased absolute endurance
-Very resistant to fat gain (though careful food choice and intermittent fasting certainly plays a role).

Absolute vs relative endurance is worth explaining.
Absolute endurance is moving against external resistance whereas relative endurance is moving yourself.

Occasionally, I will help loaders unload package cars so they can get my trailer loaded in time.
I can always unload faster than these kids who do it every night for hours, without getting as tired as they do.

These kids are younger and in much better shape.
I am 51 years old and lead a very sedentary lifestyle, including at work.

To be fair, over 20 years of handling packages results in more economical movement.
But, just being bigger and stronger makes the work much easier.

Now, concerning the persistence of the strength adaptation:
I have plinked away for a few light workouts every few months over the last year and a half, but haven’t lifted in over 3 months.

Just went out to my weight room to see what was there.
Did a standing press of 175lbs with plenty of room to spare and a power clean of 225lbs with a little room to spare.

Not much loss considering the level of inactivity.
Those months of hard work in the winter/spring of 2021 are still paying dividends.