Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > The Cache

Old 04-04-2018, 15:46   #1
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Patrol Base Lounge Jacket

Gents,

I've improved my smoking jacket concept since the earlier version I made for Kenton Stacy. I'm calling it the "Patrol Base Lounge Jacket" just to be ironic. The feedback I've gotten on the few models that are out there has been very positive. That being said, I've recently met with a local sewing manufacturer and it looks like production will be starting soon. I'll have them make a couple prototypes to ensure they follow my design correctly and to determine the cost of manufacturing and then it will be off to the races.

So, with that, I'm looking for a rough count of how many people would want one. Mind you, they only come in one size for now, which should fit up to a XXX guy. I'm still working on a price point. Folks who have seen and tried them on, from both civilian professions as well as the military/veteran community, have suggested they should be in between $100.00 and $200.00.

There are a lot of things that need to be worked out, like locating a reliable source for the main material, which may not be too difficult since the manufacturer already has US gov't contracts for textile products. I already know where to get everything else. I'm not going to repurpose old, used woobies. I'll let the "Woobie Smoking Jacket" guy do that. Yes, it's nostalgic and a cool way to refurbish them but it's not economical for me. The material has already been broken down and some of them are worn out far more than others. I'd have to go through quite a few of them in order to get enough useable material for what I need. Better to get the raw fabric, new, so the products have greater appeal and better longevity. Besides, it's a fair chance that those old woobies were "soiled" in more than one way and no amount of washing could convince me to use them.

Attached are the pics of my latest model. I added some additional characteristics to my concept since the earlier version. I was also asked to make two models: one with a hood and one without. Instead, I made a modular model so you can attach/detach the hood. And yes, I added a little more velcro.

Although I already made a jacket for Kenton, I'll donate one these new models to him when they are ready. Availability date is still TBD but I'm hoping for early summer.

Who wants one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2120024.jpg (24.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg P2120025.jpg (21.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg P2120019.jpg (22.8 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg P2120015.jpg (23.8 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg P2120017.jpg (22.8 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by TOMAHAWK9521; 04-04-2018 at 16:00.
TOMAHAWK9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:48   #2
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

I would definitely like one!

"Fuck that - man up - kick over the podium, piss on the teleprompter, wave your dick at the TV cameras and drop the mic' as you walk off the stage. " - the QP formerly known as BillyLBach
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:12   #3
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Well, since and only because you added a little more Velcro I will just have to put me down for one.

Looks more fashionable than my bathrobe for picking up the morning newspaper from the driveway. If I stop the neighbors driving by might not see me.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:56   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Well, since and only because you added a little more Velcro I will just have to put me down for one.

Looks more fashionable than my bathrobe for picking up the morning newspaper from the driveway. If I stop the neighbors driving by might not see me.
Bend at the knees,,
NOT at the waist..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robe.jpg (51.6 KB, 49 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 13:29   #5
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

I am continually impressed by the varied talents of our membership. This is awesome, Tomahawk. Good luck with the venture!

S.
Old 04-05-2018, 13:30   #6
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

ROTFLMAO

I will keep that in mind.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 16:54   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Yeah, but is it the really "LOUD" Velcro?
Old 04-05-2018, 18:12   #8
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

I had to go with the noisy Velcro because I couldn’t find the JSOC sound proof Velcro for commercial availability, dammit! It must be the invisible stuff that I’ve never heard about. Curses!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40   #9
rsdengler
Area Commander

Nice work, it looks very "distinguished" and comfy. Now you just need to sit on a big leather chair smoking a nice cigar

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 22:07   #10
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Pumping the Brakes

Gents,

I'm going to have to put this project on hold. I've recently had a long time shoulder problem (significant bone spurs and torn rotator cuff) operated on and despite it having "healed", the recovery is another 3.5 months. Although my shoulders have been giving me trouble since I was medically retired, I wasn't aware of the damage until it was x-rayed and MRI a couple months ago. The VA didn't think the shoulder problems were service-related back in '09 but they're paying for them now, thankfully. The x-rays showed almost equal calcium buildup on the left shoulder and we won't know about any torn tissue until late Aug/early Sep, after which the docs will go to work on it. From what I've experienced with the right shoulder, this is going to put me out of the production game for roughly a year. What sewing I can manage right now is like watching a T-Rex trying to operate a sewing machine. And I can't do it for long before the shoulder begins to ache from the tension.

That being said, I have to back off of a production project like this. I'm finding out there's a lot more involved than what I'm used to. True, I'm not the one doing the manufacturing, but it's my design and I have to make more prototypes to be field-tested to ensure the templates are right, the assembly process is in the most efficient order and the product is sound. I also have to get all business-like and put together a website with social media, pictures, prices, links, and sizes and stuff. There are also a slew of other logistic components that I have to put in place before I launch this thing. I can't do all of it so I'm going to have to partner up with some friends of mine in order to make this work smoothly. The last thing I want is not being able to meet customer demands when this launches.

There is also the finance aspect of this. I've been doing this out of pocket and I need to shift gears back to my projects I had planned to develop, patent and sell for royalties. This project sort of popped up and I started going down the rabbit hole. I have been getting hit up by folks in the area for custom mod and repair work on river craft and other recreation gear, so that will help fill the gap. Small projects that require a little sewing or computer graphic work are about all I can handle right now.

I apologize for getting any hopes up. I'll keep you all posted as to when I'm set to go forward with this again.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:45   #11
MR2
Quiet Professional

Heal up bro. We can wait.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 15:28   #12
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

The Base Material????

What level of protection does it offer? tom kelly