Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 03-05-2018, 16:51   #1
bblhead672
Area Commander

Bolt action rifle recommendations?

After reading the Dimocrats latest bill wanting to ban nearly all semi-auto rifles, pistols and shotguns, I have been thinking about adding a bolt action rifle to my small collection of assorted semi-auto firearms.

Have long considered getting one in .308, but the 6.5 Creedmore has shown up a lot in reading lately. My biggest hesitation in something other than .308 would be possible limitations in reloading ammo should there be an issue with readily available new ammo. (Reloading is another new interest but won't get two lines of questioning going in one thread).

Looking for recommendations on accurate long distance (200-800 yards capable whether I'm capable of hitting beyond 200!) at various price points for someone to get started. Reasonably priced optics as well.

If anyone is willing to provide some knowledge on current offerings I am grateful.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:08   #2
pyreaux
Guerrilla

Check out fierce firearms - for higher end production
Don't own one, but I have coworkers that do and have handle their rifles and talked to their company reps. Seem to be good folks.

I've got a Rem 700 VSF with HS Precision or similar stock from factory (now discontinued); I've had very good luck with it other than trigger recall.

Be careful with some of the hogue stocks and handle them in person if possible. I've found some that seemed too flexible to use a bipod and not contact the barrel. I believe they've since stiffened these stocks

When looking, I also considered Ruger, Sako, and Tikka. Fierce wasn't around and I ended up finding the Rem lefty in Stock.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:48   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
A lot of good options. 308 is not the best but will work. I prefer the 30-06 since it has better performance without the cost or recoil of the 300 win mag. A good 30-06 with 175 gr will get you to 800 easy and a 190 gr match is a good 1000 yard bullet.
Agreed with BO

But before you buy the hammer.
What is the size of the nail?? Or is it a bolt??

What are you using the weapon for?

Hunting, Target Shooting, Match shooting,
If hunting what is the size is the game
How far are you humping the hammer

If you say yes to more than one,, you need more than one hammer

Join the club..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun room.jpg (53.5 KB, 78 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:00   #4
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

Suggest either a M1903A3 or M1917. Capable out to 1000 yds if you can, takes stripper clips and mounts a bayonet.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:46   #5
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Agreed with BO

But before you buy the hammer.
What is the size of the nail?? Or is it a bolt??

What are you using the weapon for?

Hunting, Target Shooting, Match shooting,
If hunting what is the size is the game
How far are you humping the hammer

If you say yes to more than one,, you need more than one hammer

Join the club..
Target shooting for proficiency and hunting any size North American game animal, including predators whether 4 or 2 legged.

I remember reading/hearing for years that 30.06 is the most popular cartridge in America, don't know if that is still the case.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:16   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

If you're a newbie with bolt guns then a .308 is a very good choice in cal and a you will not go wrong with a Rem 700.

.308 for a hundred reasons number one being, availability, number two, variety.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:55   #7
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
If you're a newbie with bolt guns then a .308 is a very good choice in cal and a you will not go wrong with a Rem 700.

.308 for a hundred reasons number one being, availability, number two, variety.
Are there specific models of Rem 700 you would recommend? I ask because I see a lot of negative stuff about quality of Rem 700's in recent years.
Old 03-06-2018, 14:10   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
Are there specific models of Rem 700 you would recommend? I ask because I see a lot of negative stuff about quality of Rem 700's in recent years.
A good used Rem 700, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, a Savage, a Howa 1500, a Tikka, a Sako, or a number of others will get the job done.

The more specialized the weapon, the more expensive and less effective it will be in other roles. A benchrest gun is not a good hunting rifle and vice versa.

.308 or larger.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:41   #9
Joker
Quiet Professional

A used (or older one) Remington 700 (mine is 33 Win Mag) is the way to go. You are more than likely going to replace the barrel, stock, trigger assembly, and sights. A 300 is a 1.000 meter, and if built right a 1/4 moa, gun. It more than likely can out shoot you.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 00:54   #10
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
A used (or older one) Remington 700 (mine is 33 Win Mag) is the way to go. You are more than likely going to replace the barrel, stock, trigger assembly, and sights. A 300 is a 1.000 meter, and if built right a 1/4 moa, gun. It more than likely can out shoot you.
I have great respect for the Remington 700. I have hunted with one for more than 30 years. However, I feel there are two small problems:
First, I found mine was shooting erratically and decided to get it re-bedded. My gunsmith told me it was never bedded in the first place, despite it coming from the Remington Custom Shop.
Secondly" the push-feed bolt action, while very good for accuracy, is not ideal for a dangerous game rifle. I would prefer a Mauser type of controlled feed although I have never had a feed problem but have had ejection problems which one could also get with a controlled-feed action.
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 23:43   #11
G2squared
Auxiliary

Lots of good information here. I agree with TS about benefits of 308.
For your standard of 200-800, it's a fine fit. Though other calibers will also get the job done. Unfortunately when ammo get scarce, it may be easier to find 300WM or 30-06. I found this out when my brother, who had 300WM, could find all the ammo he wanted and I had to look around a lot and pay a premium for 308 match ammo.

IMO:
If you're trying to deal with dangerous predators at longer ranges(600+), you might want something with a little more energy at that range though or make sure your bullets are designed to work at that range with the MV your rifle is putting out.
Out of the box rifles, Rem 700s have lots of options to meet a variety of budgets. Light weight, easy to carry hunting rifles often are plenty accurate for 1-5 shots but when heating up the barrels during 20 round strings in competitions or practicing things may get a little frustrating.

Barrel length considerations. Dragging a 24" barrel through the brush is more of a hassle than a 16" barrel. But you also have more energy at range with the longer barrel and have less wind drift due to less time in the wind with more velocity. I have Rem 700 that I had cut to 16" and threaded with a target crown (aka, flat and square). It holds 1/2 MOA out to 800 if I do my part because shortening the barrel made it much more stiff than the original 22". The bullets drop sub sonic after that so dealing with predators past about 500 is not practical IMO.

Other Ammo considerations. Regardless of the rifle you get, you will have to figure out what factory ammo and/or the combination of reloading factors that gets you what you want/need for accuracy and terminal ballistics. Even the same model rifle off the same factory assembly line may have a different "favorite" ammo. You may find Federal Gold Metal Match ammo is great for accuracy and competition, but the bullets aren't made to open effectively for hunting. So maybe ammo specific to the application might be in order.

On Optics. What's your budget? Don't skimp on mounts. Even the best optics will not perform if your mounts are moving around, esp if you decide to go with a magnum caliber. So I love my Nightforces for my bolt guns, but they are PRICY...
With optics you most times get what you pay for, but understanding the what's under the hood can help mitigate some issues. Higher magnification will reduce light transmission and smaller tubes will also reduce light transmission. So if you're shooting at night, a bigger tube and turning the magnification down can help.
The curved surfaces of magnifying lenses diffracts light at different rates based on lens thickness and the light color(wavelength). The higher quality lenses have coatings on them to help mitigate these and have lenses that are more precisely ground for better optical clarity but are still affected. So when you want the best clarity of view, you want to be looking through the flattest portions of the lenses. That is the center of the lens. As you are attempting to get to longer ranges you typically will either be adjusting turrets or using the reticle or both. But both will have you looking through the edges (or not dead center) of the lenses and reduce the clarity and accuracy of your view to varying degrees.

Lots to think about and I'm sure there will be several recommendations on some budget minded scopes who have exp with them. I like Vortex, but I only have their binos and have only looked at their scopes at Shot so can't speak to their field work.

Good luck and remember, You can have enough guns, but NEVER TOO MANY!!

G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:18   #12
Box
Quiet Professional

Just a thought - but if the next purchase is tied to threats of congress to take away everyone's semi-automatic death machines, you might also want to consider a lever gun as your next purchase. Lever guns were the "assault rifles" of the late 1800's. "a rifle that you could load on Sunday and shoot all week long.”

If the intent for the next rifle is, target shooting, hunting, and pest control then a good lever gun is a great place to start.
A decent 30-30 will give you 6 rounds with ballistics similar to an AK-47. It will also let you shoot just about anything in North America with the right bullet selection and shot placement.
...and it will handle zombies and revenuers quite nicely if society really does go over the cliff

If you get a lever gun chambered for .357 it will still do a good job or deer, boar, and most mid-small sized game. It also gives you a 10 round tube for those days when the zombies and revenuers just wont stop coming at you.
...and don't ever let someone tell you that 357 magnum carbine isn't enough to kill bigger game. People take down mule deer, elk, and bears with archery equipment. Decent ammunition and good shot placement from a good .357 magnum carbine will work just fine in a pinch. As a bonus, if you are shooting a 357 lever action carbine, you can stuff it full of .38 special bullets when you are just trying to improve your marksmanship skills on a budget.

Just sayin'
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 14:45   #13
LarryW
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post

If you get a lever gun chambered for .357 it will still do a good job or deer, boar, and most mid-small sized game. It also gives you a 10 round tube for those days when the zombies and revenuers just wont stop coming at you.
...and don't ever let someone tell you that 357 magnum carbine isn't enough to kill bigger game. People take down mule deer, elk, and bears with archery equipment. Decent ammunition and good shot placement from a good .357 magnum carbine will work just fine in a pinch. As a bonus, if you are shooting a 357 lever action carbine, you can stuff it full of .38 special bullets when you are just trying to improve your marksmanship skills on a budget.

Just sayin'
Agree with the utility of the lever gun, sir. I have a Winchester Trapper Carbine in .357, but found the 1mm difference in cartridge length created some challenges with cycling the .38. Maybe not an issue with something other than Winchester.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 14:47   #14
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post

Just sayin'
Yep. Here is a link to a good article by Paco Kelly on the .357 in a rifle
Old 03-08-2018, 15:07   #15
doctom54
Quiet Professional

After buying and using Remington 700s and Model 7s (which were all good to great rifles) for 30 years I have started getting the Tikka's.
Currently I have 3 Tikka T3s in .243, .270 and .338 Federal. They all will shoot under an inch with factory ammo. The triggers are great from the factory and the bolt is slick.

A month ago I bought the Tikka T3x CTR (Compact Tactical Rifle) in .260 remington. It shoots under an inch also.
It has gotten good reviews

Finally the Canadian Rangers picked the Tikka T3x Arctic to replace their Lee Enfield No. 4 in .303

Last edited by doctom54; 03-08-2018 at 15:22.
doctom54 is offline   Reply With Quote