Old 01-27-2017, 17:41   #1
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
SKIS

Looking at mission sets on skis, you quickly top out capacity when factoring the weight of the soldier his equipment and sleds etc... Previously I looked at Voile, they make a white top ski for the military: http://www.voile.com/voile-vector-bc-skis-white.html but decided on their V8's because of said capacity issues and they have been a great ski: http://www.voile.com/voile-v8-skis-2014-2015.html all the capacity and then some.

Recently I ran across a relevant article that takes on the same questions and very pleased to see the procurement process at work and looking after the soldiers. Here is what 10th SFG(A) decided on http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/22...pecial-forces/

https://rompskis.com/ski-graphics/

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=13835 "Tölz Ski Bindings & Boots"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Das dicke ende kommt noch!.jpg (29.8 KB, 42 views)

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 03-23-2017 at 03:13.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 19:13   #2
DaveP
Asset

Voile makes a great ski; have skied the V8, would like to test-drive the fishscale Vector, but my go-to is the V6 as I'm a lean mofo and at most will have a BC tour or SAR pack loadout.
Not to mention the prevailing bony conditions we expect here in the NE, slightly skinny ski works fine.

Very cool to see the Romp response to that requirement list.
Big shovel for sure, but that's a heap of weight distribution needed, and it's not a rando you're running.

DaveP
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:47   #3
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

The graphics on those skis are awesome. I haven't been skiing since I left 1-10 in 2005. The longer it's been the more I miss it.

"nobody understands Thomas except Thomas," Rudyard Kipling, Soldiers Three
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:28   #4
Golf1echo
Area Commander

I thought the graphics were excellent and enjoyed that veterans were part of the process...still skiing and still covering for soldiers. Being from Colorado and as a member of the 19th SFG(A) I always thought the 10th SFG(A)should be here...like the 10th Mtn Div from the 40's so it thrills me that that became the case and glad to see them embracing the rich tradition those men had. Things like Series D maneuvers, " If you volunteer out of the 10th for combat, you are yellow", the way they embraced Europeans, ski professionals, ranchers, and chefs into their ranks, started many of the ski areas in this country, etc...Looks like you could get a pair of those beauties.

For the uninitiated, including myself after years of being away, I will always remember my friends expression when I headed up above Aspen for a few nights of Winter camping when he realized I had no skis nor snow shoes....Anywhere besides the roads it was chest deep. Lesson learned!

I mostly ski Ski Cooper out of that same 10th Mt tradition, the crazy soft deep snow and proximity to Old Camp Hale. Using telemark bindings on my set up now so I can ski into places and try something a little different. It is a blast on those big boards ( 186s ) A few weeks ago they said we were at 130% of our snow levels...it's been snowing ever since.

Dave I have rented some of the vectors with scales and because of where I have been skiing I found them slow on faster snow they would be great and the scales work out well for slight grades.

As a disclaimer Voile has been very good to me and I do support their great products but this is a outstanding procurement story that I have to embrace!

Kudos to all involved in developing, making, and getting those skis to the soldiers.

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 01-28-2017 at 09:32.
Old 01-28-2017, 13:35   #5
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

What bindings are they using with those? Anyone know?

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 15:06   #6
DaveP
Asset

Better not be Ramers (still)!
Even Silvrettas, 500s or 404s, would be a disappointment with such fine skis but would get the job done.

Too much to ask for tech-binding-compatible duty boots?
DaveP
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 16:58   #7
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
What bindings are they using with those? Anyone know?
Great question! I'm curious about the rivets too, that sounds like a good idea...using the equipment you already have with you. That sounds better than some of the half sleds you see the Europeans using in competitions like the Edelweiss Raid.

I hope to catch up with Romp at the Elk Mountain Grand Traverse coming up....Hope the 10th Group got some of the set ups you see at the race. I've seen some high end pieces used by NSW, snow dictates you have the right equipment.

Here is a link to the Military bindings Voile provides: http://www.voile.com/voile-switchbac...ding-grey.html

I must say it is a very durable binding.

Edit: Old School film 1942 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bfg2WIJyuM

The many options ...one is not like the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR Morning Run.jpg (52.2 KB, 36 views)

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 01-29-2017 at 11:19.
Old 03-25-2017, 19:59   #8
cyris
Asset

I see on the Romp web page those ski's are not for sale. Does anyone know away around that? Will they sell them to former 10th guys?
cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55   #9
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Cyris,
I understood they where, call Romp for the skis.

Edit: Looks like a new contender for the ski procurement folks - http://soldiersystems.net/2017/07/13...-warrior-expo/

Essayons

By Dand

Last edited by Golf1echo; 07-14-2017 at 08:17.